baller_kid
Years ago

Junior wanting to play seniors.

At the moment am a first year u/20 1's player..

i want to play seniors in the next three years wether that is Div 1 or 2

I don't think i will get many minutes if i stay at my current club..

advice?

should i move after i finish u/20?

Topic #15745 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

Give Joey Wright a call.

Reply #185525 | Report this post

baller_kid  
Years ago

to be honest no idea who that is

Reply #185526 | Report this post

OG Loc  
Years ago

Bullets coach

Reply #185527 | Report this post

baller_kid  
Years ago

How would i get in contact with him?

and why would a NBL coach care about me..

My ABA coach now doesn't even care.. tried asking for ways to improve and just got told to model my game on another player..
what kinda coaching is that?

Reply #185528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of things can change over 1-2 years. If you are happy with your current coaching you would be silly to move. You should keep playing and learn and develop where you are if things are good and just take every day and every step one at a time. Also seriously look at yourself and your strengths and weaknesses and see what others around you have and others in in the U20s grade and are you really good enough to move to the D1 or D2 level? Seek feedback. Go and talk to your U20 D1 coach, ABA Coaches and tell them what you are looking for and ACT on their input and feedback! What you do today will determine tomorrow, yesterday is history and cannot be altered.

Reply #185530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

185525 was a joke, which was spoilt when 185527 had to explain who he was.

But then "How would i get in contact with him?" is comedy gold!

If you are not already at least training with the seniors by 20's either:

a) your game needs alot of development, or
b) your club is stacked and you'll be starved of opportunities.

so your options in regards to your situation are:

a) find a coach/JDO/knowledgable parent to give you some honest advice/feedback on your game, then work your arse off to improve
b) move clubs.

Reply #185531 | Report this post

comprehension  
Years ago

185530 - did you even read what he wrote?

you said "If you are happy with your current coaching you would be silly to move" after he said "My ABA coach now doesn't even care.. tried asking for ways to improve and just got told to model my game on another player.. what kinda coaching is that?"

clearly he's not happy with the coaching.

Reply #185532 | Report this post

baller_kid  
Years ago

alright well i have been trying to get advice..
im stuck in a position where i shouldn't be playing casue of my height...

nobody else can play that position so i kinda got no choice so pretty sure thats not helping either...

thanks for your advice guys..

Reply #185533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear (#185532 |

i was writing and working and the post you mentioned was seemingly done simultaneously.

Sorry for not being perfect like you!

re: Junior wanting to play seniors. (#185532 | Grrr!)

185530 - did you even read what he wrote?........

Perhaps your alias should be NIT picking? Rather than trying to analyse, digest and see what this person should be considering in the broader perspective.

(#185531) offers similar sentiments to those I proposed.

Reply #185535 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You should think seriously about moving - although if you read some other threads on the subject there are some who think you can learn more from sitting on a bench getting splinters up your backside and perhaps better Coaching - which is questionable if you are only being told what you should do and not being able to try it out in a game, than going to a Club where you will get more minutes! I dont know about you but I am confused......

Reply #185538 | Report this post

Musical Pants  
Years ago

(#185538) from a club that cant attract good juniors!

Reply #185539 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Baller Kid: if you're really keen on steppin' your game up and really want to potentially look at hitting seniors onwards, you should consider also playing non-club leagues (or social leagues).

There are quite a few non-club players around the place whose game is better than club level teams, but don't see basketball as a that much of an interest; it's a "unique" way of building your game up and learning outside of the box.

Other than that; you should watch a few of those NBA pointer videos that Red Auerbach did which they show on NBA.com

Reply #185543 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

Also, why not try lower grades first up, in a number of clubs the Divisions 3-5 can always use another player.
Just because you might play Div. 3 or 4 this year, doesn't mean you won't make higher Divisions in the future. It also lets you see how you will go against Senior opposition

Reply #185545 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah you need to have a chat first of all with your under 20's coach and point out your desire to play senior basketball. Not all under 20's players are good enough to play Seniors div1 and 2, so like someone said earlier you may need to start in div 3 or 4. Sometimes it can be hard to do this as div 3 is on a Monday night when a lot of juniors train. But getting some time in seniors basketball will go a long way in your development. Playing senior ball is a lot different to juniors.
Other than that, discuss with your under 20's coach and even your ABL coach what you can work on to improve your game, in the position they want you to play in if you make the senior team. A lot of players are forced to play a different role in juniors than what they would in seniors, so what you work on individually outside of trainings will be your biggest help in taking that next step.
Good luck with it, stay positive and work hard!

Reply #185558 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Big Marty - social to improve your game? You have to be absolutely kidding right?

baller kid - start by getting to a ring, a lot. Shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Practice mid range first then step out to 3. Practice finishing with your left hand. Practice some dribbling drills and improve your ball handling. And shoot free throws between every drill.

Second, hit the weights. This is the perfect age for you to get stronger and bigger. Focus on leg weights and your core strength. A personal trainer can help with that.

In my opinion you should stick it out with your club for a while. It is fairly uncommon (except in circumstances where a kid has a big rep or a big game) for a player to get consistent minutes at div 1 senior level in their first few years as a senior. Try play div 2, but if you are at a talented, good club just training with the best at your club will improve your game a hell of a lot. Whenever scrimmage occurs, always put your hand up to guard the best player in your position. You might get burnt a bit, but you will find it will improve your defensive game a sh*t load.

If you're not training with the seniors yet most clubs have an open door policy at the end of each ABL season. Go and train with your clubs' senior side then and look to get a spot on the squad, even if you're not making the ABL bench - you should get to play reserves.

Changing clubs isn't always a good solution. I think sticking it out and being patient, committing yourself to improving in the meantime by sheer hard work, and if it hasn't happened after 2-3 years of seniors at one club then look to move. Remember if you change clubs you will only have to prove yourself that much more.

Reply #185559 | Report this post

Years ago

my situation was similar.

I was playing 20 1's at a big club but realised that if i wanted to get into ABA there where a few players ahead of me.

I got approached by one of the weaker ABA clubs to switch with the promise of minutes in ABA.

I did not want to play for the weaker club but decided to switch when it was explained to me this way.

If you wanted to play NBA and the Miami Heat offered you a game woud you go?

My advice is to switch as you will become a better player playing against better opposition.

Reply #185593 | Report this post

baller_kid  
Years ago

thanks lockstock

so i can play div 3 or 4 seniors right now?

would be good to get more game time cause that would help me improve..

thanks for all your help guys.
Il let you know what develops

Reply #185602 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

sounds like your not very good so give up or just play social or div 3

Reply #185628 | Report this post

baller_kid  
Years ago

you can talk tough over the internet...

lets see you play on the court

Reply #185643 | Report this post

Years ago

I don't mean to be negative, but if you were really at ABL standard right now, I'm sure the coaches would have invited you to practice with the squad. It just seems like they don't think you're ready for that level yet. That's not to say that they never will, but right now, they might not think you are.

If you're a first year 20's player, I'd assume you're 17 or 18. Not everyone gets to play ABL at this age, unless they are genuinely ready for that level, and have something special to their game. Don't get too impatient. Your time will come.

Reply #185715 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:00 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754