Shawn the Prawn
Years ago

Sixers and Dome for Sale

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23769884-5006371,00.html

Guess that confirms what a few people around the town have known for a while now.

Topic #15965 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

here we go agin.

Reply #187858 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Doesn't that article say that the Sixers themselves won't be sold - it's just the Dome, as that is owned by Eddy Groves?

Reply #187860 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

That is how I read it, that the Sixers were still owned by Mal and that Eddy was only selling the Dome. Just a misleading headline by the sub editors.

Reply #187862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but does it not say that if the sale of the dome is linked to the 36ers then so be it. infering that if the new buyer of the dome wanted the 6ers as well mal would sell?

Reply #187864 | Report this post

Murry Magpie  
Years ago

I think you will find that the Dome is definitely for sale as a "fire sale" item for Mr Groves. However, whoever purchases the property will want a guarantee that the sixers will play there each season to maximise return on their investment. One would expect that they would.
Now, Malcolm is an astute business man who sees the long term opportunities - while he may wish to accept an offer from a buyer of the Dome to get a short term gain, I would be suprised if he did. At the moment, one would expect that although they are the equal most successful club in the NBL, their potential value is down at the moment.
I am reminded of Kerry Packer's quote regarding Alan Bond just after he sold and then bought back Channel 9 making a $1Billion profit. "You only ever meet one Alan Bond in your life"

IMO: Dome will be sold separately, buyer will offer some $ to Mal, but Mal will hold out. (Assuming Mal doesn't buy the Dome)

Reply #187869 | Report this post

N  
Years ago

You silly people. Eddy has funded the 36ers for the past two seasons. Mal can not afford to do this. That is why Mal has been running around town speaking to various groups trying to get someone to buy the team. There is one businessman that will look to invest in the team, but only if Mal stays to run it which he has said privately he does not want to do.

Reply #187870 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

N. you are spot on. Shialan (sp.) is interested in buying but wants Mal to run (why I have no idea!!) Mal wants to sell and leave. Worrying times ahead for 36ers yet.
By the way, if you were Hodge and didn't make NBA would you sign with NBL (which might not exist) or go to Europe? I know what I'd do!!

Reply #187878 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

You hit the nail on the head Cat15 regarding your comment about Hodge, but take it a step further. Who would buy the Dome or the Sixers given the current status of the NBL. Too much risk.

Reply #187890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone like a christian group would jump at it for the right price. I think people need to think outside the square, and lets face it, Eddy wont care who buys it. NBL are in the shit and big time.

Reply #187892 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Sam could be the saviour but he will run it he would have NO interest at all in retaining Mal.Eddy owns the lot Mal is the front man no money in the team.If he stays in if Eddy sells the team we will be gone in 3 months.

Reply #187913 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

what i don't understand is how the dome is seen as such a useless venue, it is perfect for concerts and other sorts of events. all it really needs is a good sound system, that new video scoring board and it could then be used when there isn't games to hold concerts, i'm sure people would be interested in using the venue for those sorts of things if it was revamped a little bit.

Reply #187917 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

There were a lot of restrictions on what the Dome could be used for, which is why it is still used for basketball and isn't a church. If the restrictions were lifted, bye bye basketball.

Its why the venue isn't attractive to potential buyers and why it sold so cheap.

Reply #187918 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I've a great idea!
How about BSA apply to the state government for a loan to buy it.

Reply #187929 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Why don't we let them sell it and then play BBall at the Entertainment Centre.

Reply #187973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fill Smythe you are right that could be a solution however, the stadium needs to be mixed up still. the state deserves a better stadium thats world class and a private owner might be able to give us that, and have a better chance of doing that than BSA could ever have.

Reply #188283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #188283, he doesn't seriously think BSA should apply to the state government for a loan to buy the Dome.

Reply #188287 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754