Quagmire
Years ago

Game 1 NBA finals. (eventual spoiler)

All right, tip off not far away, lets do this.
Obvious stuff first- Boston must hold court, Lakers want to pinch at least one before heading back to LA, first game would be a real bonus.

Big 3 of Celtics will be great as always, we have all pretty much confirmed that its the play of Rondo and Perkins that will determine how well the Celts go.

Kobe has had a near perfect play-offs to date, Odom and Gasol have done the (under-rated) job defensively against the best in the west and look like they have the perfect blend of surrounding talent with shooters.

I love the energy that will be in the stadium at tip-off, it will serve Boston well, but it will also serve Kobe well, his ego is greater than any stadium on earth.

Look for Boston to get an early leed, playing inspired defence but ultimately get taken over and lose game one to a patient and executing Lakers team.

How ya feelin Beantown?

Topic #16045 | Report this topic

hereschenes  
Years ago

I admire the specificity of your predictions, Quagmire! Got a tip on the score at 5:42 left in the first quarter? :)

Personally, I've got no idea who will win. I only wish I was at home to watch it instead of at work!

Reply #188934 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Any ideas on where to watch it online?

Reply #188935 | Report this post

ostrich 75  
Years ago

YES... cannot wait, im also at work, but im glad i listen to the game on ESPN radio, absolutely kills watching play by play on box scores.

as for watching online, download sopcast, or that andro site, do a search on these threads.

Reply #188936 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Hereschenes....15-12 Celtics. Perkins in foul trouble.

Reply #188937 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

"Big 3 of Celtics will be great as always"

Not so sure that they have been great this playoffs. Pierce has been pretty consistent. Garnett has been awesome a couple of games but not dominated in others when he needed to. Allen has been MIA for much of the playoffs.

I think it will come down to three things for Boston:
1. Can Ray Allen be a 20+ point player for the series?
2. Can Rondo play at least 4 great games (Celtics rarely lose when he fires)
3. Can someone at least come close to matching Kobe down the stretch in the close games (either Pierce or Garnett repeating his Western Conference heroics from a few seasons back)

The Lakers haven't missed a beat this playoffs and I wouldn't think they would here either (too good a coach and the best crunch time player in the league). I think the Celtics best basketball is good enough to beat LA (especially at home) but I'm not sure they will be able to produce their best when it counts (too poor a coach and those three things happening above would be unlikely).

I can honestly say I have absolutely no preference as to who wins. I a m just glad it isn't Detroit vs Spurs (as much as I respect how good both those teams actually are)

Reply #188939 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Brilliant finals series.

This finals series could become the best for the decade. 2000-2010.

I'm excited mate. Heart is pounding, stomach butterflies floating around. Its really kicking in.

Reply #188948 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Who decided Perkins and Rondo are going to determine how the Celtics play and why? that sounds very stupid to me

Reply #188949 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

I think if Garnett is aggressive offensively and looks for his shots, Ray Allen remembers how good he is and Pierce comes up big its not going to matter to much how Perkins and Rondo go

Reply #188951 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Let me explain it Jules, in the play-offs a lot of time is spent determining the best way to defend an opponent.

With players like KG, Pierce and Ray, single coverage is not always enough, so you gotta cheat a little and double them.

Thats where rondo and Perk come in. If they can finish open looks that these doubles create, then LA will be forced to play the Celts big 3 straight up, man on man. Thats a big win for the Celts.

Conversely if they fail to make LA pay for leaving them open and doubling the stars, the Celts will find it very tough going all series.

This is where LA has a huge advantage. If you double Kobe or Gasol they have a team in which ALL players can shoot the open look. Celts have Rondo who is shaky at best, and Perk who has yet to prove he has the strong hands and ball control to handle offense in the paint.

Reply #188952 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Yeh I get that, just thought on a scale of importance, its gonna be how the big 3 perform in their first finals series, and that they dont shit themselves like they have this playoffs. Rondo and Perkins playing well wont win them the game, Pierce, Allen and KG will, that will just help.

Reply #188953 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Hmmm... well it was 10-10 at 5:42, no fouls for KP. A good try. :)

How's the game looking for those that are watching? Have they got the jitters or is it free-flowing? Kobe very low on stats I notice, although that can always change quickly. And it usually does!

Reply #188954 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Should of realised scores would be low...do'h!

Killing me being at work right now.

Reply #188957 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Sam Cassell. You gotta laugh. Whats the point? He scores, the guy playing on him then scores. You get no-where.

Reply #188958 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Kobe and Gasol working the pick and roll well...
3 Celtics in foul trouble...Pierce with 3, Allen 2, Posey 2 with 2:55 in 2nd.
Cassell shooting well, and KG doing well.

Reply #188960 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

PS: Cassell drew an offensive foul from Kobe!!!!

Reply #188961 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

It really is a gift i've got. I bag em, they stab me in the back!

Reply #188964 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Lakers by 5 at the half...playing as a team on offence. Kobe just 3 x FG's. Fisher has stepped up to hit some big shots. Odom dong his job with 8 pts.

Reply #188966 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

13 for Derek Fisher, 10 for Rondo... looks like an interesting battle of the X-factors!

Reply #188967 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Get the feeling that LA will be happy to leave single coverage on KF with Gasol, similar to Duncan, and work on stopping Pierce, Ray et all... Sounds great coz it puts even more pressure on KG in the fourth, plus he'll be even more fatigued... Phil Jax rocks.

Reply #188972 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Sorry- typo, i meant KG, not KF????

Reply #188973 | Report this post

frogger  
Years ago

how huge was it when pierce stepped back on court after he went down with what looked like a nasty knee injury!

Reply #188974 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Tell us frogger... how huge was it? Is he back to normal? What happened?

*stares at internet "live scoreboard"* :(

Reply #188978 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Ray playing like he should be in the "Big 3" and not the "Big 2 featuring Ray Allen" as a Bill Simmons reader suggested.

Reply #188980 | Report this post

frogger  
Years ago

rarrrr!! huge put back dunk by KG!

Reply #188981 | Report this post

frogger  
Years ago

hereschenes, the truth seems ok now, he was chaired off initially and looked to be in a good deal of pain, but returned after a few minutes from the rooms looking good and icing back to back threes - the crowd went wild when he came back after being deadly silent when he went down

Reply #188983 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Thats all she wrote. Kobe was cold and the Lakers couldn't get it done on the boards. Odom must improve his play. Pierce looming as a huge player, KG doing his thing. Phil Jax will have a bit to do in the next few days. Must win one of the first two and with this game gone, all the pressure on the next one. If Boston win both at home, they go to LA with a mission to win just one and then finish in Boston.

Next game sunday or monday? Either way i ain't missing it coz you bet Kobe will be pissed by this result!

Well done Celts, KG was great with the put-back but Paul Pierce was the one.

I remember back when Kobe and Shaq were fueding in the media, Shaq dubbed Pierce "The Truth" in a veiled swipe at Kobe.... i bet Kobe remembers too...he he he

Reply #188986 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Celtics win...huge effort from pierce in the 3rd...4 point play followed later by back to back treys on the break. HUGE!
Lakers couldn't buy a basket in the 4th. Good defence from the green machine.

Reply #188987 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Thanks for that frogger... good to hear. Would be a shame for the series if a big player went down.

Reply #188990 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Next game is Monday morning our time, Quagmire.

Reply #188991 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Sweet. Cheers hereschenes.

How smashed is Bill Simmons getting at this moment?!

Reply #188997 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

KG's tip dunk was ridiculous. Couldn't have come at a bigger time either.

That aside, his big game fear still seems there. settled for long jump shot after long jump shot in the fourth when all the Celts needed were long 24 second offences run through KG in the block.

Pierce was huge in the 3rd with 15 points. Hit two threes after returning from being carried off the court and wheelchaired to the locker room. Memories of Larry with a broken cheekbone.....

Reply #188998 | Report this post

ostrich 75  
Years ago

crowd seemed at its loudest after those threes..
from what i have seen from Pierce dude is OWNING

Reply #189001 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

What a fantastic result, can't wait to watch the replay :-)

Reply #189007 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hey Quagmire,
Looks like I missed the party on Hoops SA today!

Nice assessment of Kobe:
"...his ego is greater than any stadium on earth."

Bad prediction though:
"Look for Boston to get an early leed, playing inspired defence but ultimately get taken over and lose game one to a patient and executing Lakers team."

Celtics did a good job on Kobe today and had decent contributions from everyone bar Perkins, who is surely cursed with a clutz charm.

Coming down on Pierce's foot like that when he was on fire in the 3rd quarter could cost the Celtics the series.

Although Pierce came back to contribute, I saw his post game press conference and he seemed very down.

He said that the injury had been diagnosed as a bruised meniscus or something, but he also said he heard a pop and couldn't move his knee at first!

So I'm feeling a little worried right now. Pierce seems like the one Celtic who is able to consistently make shots when they are really needed.

All I can say is thank the hoop gods for the 3 days before game 2!

If Pierce stays fit, this absolutely has the makings of a classic 7 game cliff hanger. Hope it turns out that way...

Reply #189051 | Report this post

Why do they lakers always blame themselves and not the oppositions play for their loss. Are they that arrogant

Reply #189055 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isn't it better to question the things you can control, not the things you can't?

Reply #189057 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

ELG......why sack the coach when ur team cant play Defence??

Dont talk shit mate

Reply #189071 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Fantastic game and i think the rest of the series will be in a similar vein...

Seeing Garnett playing and winning in the NBA Finals brought a tear to my eye (given i was a TWolves fan since the LUUUUUUC!/Felton Spencer/Stacey King era), I'm stoked for him - but makes you wonder about McHale/Taylor's decision-making (The Joe Smith deal and penalty torpedoed the team in reality, and of course when the draft picks came back they chose Ndudi Ebi) and the whims of fate (Malik Sealy, Cassel's injury in the WC finals)...

Oh and...

"BEAT LA, BEAT LA, BEAT LA..." Loved to hear that again - in the finals no less...

Reply #189089 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:51 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754