Interested
Years ago

Classics Results/Box Scores?

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys

Topic #16065 | Report this topic

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-5008-0-0-0&a=COMPS

Reply #189095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A couple of great results for SA basketball so far. The forestville under 18 girls currently undefeated, just made it through to the semi finals as did the sturt under 16 boys. Sturt and forestville under 18 boys currently playing for a spot in the semis as well. Do any of these teams have a genuine shot at winning? Well done to all teams so far and goodluck for your coming games.

Reply #189146 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Unfortunately Sturt U16 boys got spanked by Dandenong 52 to 29 will now play off for 3/4.

Reply #189160 | Report this post

Neville Nobody  
Years ago

SA Referee appointed to U18 Semis. Congratulations Jarrod!!

Reply #189162 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Forrestville 18boys through to final - beat meld 52-46
Sturt out 47 -36 loss to dandy in 18 boys

Reply #189163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville u18 women downed in the semi's by all of Elthams 6 entire players..
Ouch
Fantastic match in the quarters Nuna 18's girls vs. Norwood. Norwood netted 2 3 pointers in the space of 20 seconds to get into OT, then got beaten off some clutch free throws.

Reply #189205 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

well done to forestville under 18 boys. wonderful effort on getting to the final and almost winning. Great stuff.

Also to the sturt under 16 boys no one thought that they would get through to the top 8 but they ended up making the top 4 unfortunatly struggled against dandy but still very gd effort by them and it shows that they step up in the big games.

Reply #189216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should SA be worrying that only 1 of its club teams made it through to the finals, compared to 15 Vics in 12's boys and girls through 18's? I mean I know Victoria has always had depth in their club system but surely the best of SA should be able to compete with the second tier clubs over there?

Reply #189272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're suggesting that all teams that didn't make it through to the finals are second tier teams...
Have you ever been to the classics at all?

Reply #189276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have depth through their systems because they have 4 times the population. You have never coached at Classics or probably never been involved with an uneducated comment like that.

Reply #189281 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

eg Knox, which isn't the biggest in Melbourne, runs about the same number of teams out of a six court stadium as play in the entire Adelaide junior district competition. So a Knox team in a particular age group is selected from a bigger pool of players than are available to an SA Metro State coach.

An SA club team has to be very good to win at the Classic.

(Mod: Bonus point for being informative without being rude or condescending.)

Reply #189294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SA teams should be happy as I feel they performed very well and have a lot of good juniors comming through. Stiil you guys produce very good shooters so heads up and do not hang your teams or coaches.

Reply #189297 | Report this post

Megamix  
Years ago

Who were the better shooters??

Reply #189307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What makes the Classics, classic is the fact that there are no weak teams or second tier teams. For a multitude of reasons teams don't perform as well as expected with injury figuring prominently but not exclusively amongst those reasons.
Teams have to fight like hell to get an invitation to the Classics and they're held to be the best competition below the Nationals.
The South Australian teams competed well and if you check the comp stats it suggests things look good for the Nationals in July

Reply #189308 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Good point DaddyO re an SA club team having to be very good to win.

In the 18's Forestville and Sturt did extremely well to get top 4.

In the 16 boys sturt yet again proved what a great tournament team they are. Without their best point guard and playmake they made top 4.

Norwood were a huge disappointment again at that level.For the talent they have they are underachievers. It would be interesting to see what results they would get if the sturt coach had those kids and developed the group as he has his. The norwood guy certainly proved yet again he cannot coach.

Overall a great weekend was had by all and you have to give it to those vics that they know how to run a top class comp.

Reply #189312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps the Norwood players were a huge disappointment to the coach and the players can't play!

Reply #189314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps the Norwood players were a huge disappointment to the coach and the players can't play!

Reply #189315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#189312 Sturt kids did a great job during the weekend but also had some luck with both Vic Teams also missing key kids during the Sat of T'Ment.

You do need luck in the T'Ment and the Norwood kids nearly got Melb after being so far down. They win that and they are looked at in a different way.

Great weekend though.

Reply #189326 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

#189326 you make your own luck and this group of norwood boys has a history of not getting over the line in big gigs over past 2-3 years through 14's to now. Only really won state champs this year as a div 1 group. Failed every time at 12 and 14 level. Great bunch of kids though - deserve a better coach.

Reply #189330 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

#189315 heaven help the state team results if you mean that comment. Hopefully Liam can get better from the players. Otherwise another unsuccessful campaign. leopards don't change spots overnite do they ?

Reply #189332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Norths U16 boys under achieve??

Great result for Waverley.

Reply #189368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norths kids didn't really look to me that it was that important. I felt they underachieved with the players they had. With Nats around the corner, was that a concern ?

Coaches good blokes and played in a great spirit all weekend.

Waverley did very well, Eltham / Dandy now the classic. On a roll !!!!

Reply #189408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched the under 12 boys grandfinal and thought Melbourne were a class act. The skill level of those boys far exceeded their closest SA rival Sturt. I think Melbourne (the winner) beat Southern by 60 points running their bench for half the game.

Reply #189557 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

#189557 - You will find that there were a number of VIC under 12 boys teams (if not across most age groups) that were not playing at the Classic who would have beaten most of the SA and NSW sides in attendance. That is how deep their competition is.

Reply #189563 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

However Melbourne who won the classics on beat sturt by 2 points in the Easter semi

Reply #189576 | Report this post

TrueDat  
Years ago

Interestingly someone from Dandenong in the know mentioned that their club / stadium turns over $4Mill pa at an EBIT profit of $300K!!!

Most clubs here turnover minus amounts right now.

You pay peanuts you get monkeys - at that turnover Dandenong can pay their development people.

I can remember in around 2001 SA teams in U18 boys finnished 7th, 13, 15,16th. This yr we had a team finnish 3rd and 2nd. Not a bad result.

Reply #189589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't beat yourselves up ... Sturt U18 boys was easily one of the two strongest teams (along with Nunawading) but neither of them made their way through the tournament format; perhaps it was the tough quarter-final match up. West Adelaide was competitive and knocked over Waverley in the classification round. Congrats to Dandy and Forrestville for being there at the business end.

Reply #189591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't beat yourselves up ... Sturt U18 boys was easily one of the two strongest teams (along with Nunawading) but neither of them made their way through the tournament format; perhaps it was the tough quarter-final match up. West Adelaide was competitive and knocked over Waverley in the classification round. Congrats to Dandy and Forrestville for being there at the business end.

Reply #189592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Melbourne Tigers Under 12s - wasnt one of their top players out due to a broken arm sustained against Southern Tigers? They looked very sharp and beat Sandringham in the semi by 40 points (Sandringham beat Sturt by 15 points).

Reply #189601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Melbourne Tigers Under 12s - wasnt one of their top players out in the Easter Tournament due to a broken arm suffered in Southern Tigers game? They looked very sharp and beat Sandringham in the semi by 40 points (Sandringham beat Sturt by 15 points).

Reply #189602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a lot of u/12 Victorian teams that are strong but in fairness if you look at the results on the website, Melbourne and Knox are the standouts not dropping a game in the local comp against the other teams and in most cases winning all their games convincingly!

Reply #189603 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

#189603 - Melbourne and Knox in under 12 boys whilst they have good records, they have also had many close games. Doncaster and Blackburn lost close games to Knox for example.
No doubting though that Melbourne is a class team, and Knox are strong. Other VIC teams have been within points of a result going against them - albeit not my beloved Dandenong :(

Reply #189608 | Report this post

KP43  
Years ago

Sturt 18's were without a key gaurd down the stretch as he had fouled out.

On another note - Can anyone tell me who won the MVP in the 14 Boys.

Reply #189668 | Report this post

KP43  
Years ago

In the semi that is against Dandenong. In my opinion Sturt were a little better than the Dandenong 18's team in regard to their first five, however Dandenongs depth got them over the line.

Reply #189672 | Report this post

Leopard 29  
Years ago

I coached in this age group and while I didn't play against Knox or Melbourne they were the 2 best teams of the tournament.
My team finished a bees d#$@ away from a semifinal birth going down to Geelong in a thriller in the quarters. Then we lost to Doncaster in a game Ifelt we should have won by 20 but they came back to beat Kilsyth for 7th place on Monday.

I felt we matched all team for size, had an advantage in athleticism but fell down in shooting and half court offence.

I also feel that to catch the Victorians NSW and SA need to play tough competition on a more regular basis.

This was valuable experience for my chargers who have not lost a game in 2 years in NSW. I can't wait to return next year.

Reply #189675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Melbourne U12s
I think you are right re Melbourne being a class team, but like all under 12s when they are on they are on and when they are off you might as well go home!

All in all the championship had some great basketball and I think regardless where you are from you could not help but be excited at the talent around in all teams!

The future does look strong despite the debarkle the NBL is in!!!

Reply #189745 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

To say sturt 18 boys were in the best 2 teams is ridiculous. They bombed again at the business end. Scotty B would be spewing. This group of kids has not won anything outside of the fishbowl that is SA basketball. Even I thought they would win this one. For the amount of time and effort he puts into this group the results just are'nt there. look back from 14 nationals that they were hot favs for thru 16's to now. Disappointing.

Reply #189750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt U16 Girls coming 5th was a good result given they have 5 first years, 3 second years and were without their star player.

Well done girls.

Reply #189793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt U18 boys did very well ... they demolished Melbourne and Waverley and went within 2 of Nunawading. Melbourne rolled eventual winner Dandy only two weeks earlier so definitely up there. Having played each of these teams can assure you Sturt is top two.

Reply #189989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually they beat nuna by 2 in the qf. Dandy, sturt and nuna were the best 3 teams. The draw meant they didnt finish the top 3.

Reply #189991 | Report this post

Li  
Years ago

Only Nuna didn't finish top 3; Dandy and Sturt did. I agree they were the best three teams though.

Reply #190000 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754