Isaac
Years ago

NZ NBL kicks team out of playoffs

Bit of drama over the ditch with the NZ NBL dumping the Auckland Stars from the league on the eve of the play-offs over their on-going late payment of league dues. Sounds like the Stars didn't think the league had the balls to do it, but now have to explain the end result to the team.

The Stars (owned by Tab Baldwin and who feature Casey Frank, Dillon Boucher and ex-36er Adrian Majstrovich, coached by sometime Breakers commentator Kenny Stone) had finished the regular season level with Taranaki. They'd snuck through on a head-to-head countback.

League dues were meant to be in by February but the Stars have been refusing to acknowledge deadlines it seems.

Taranaki (home to the Rampton brothers, Link Abrams, one-time Razorback Aaron Nowell and an import) will now take the Stars spot in the play-offs and meet the Harbour Heat (Forman, Behrendorff, Vukona, Allen) in their first game.

The other sides in the post-season are the Wellington Saints (Nick Horvath, Kevin Owens, Luke Martin, Brendan Polyblank, Lindsay Tait and another import!), Waikato Pistons (Brian Wethers, Jason Crowe, Pero Cameron, Ben Hill), Hawkes Bay Hawks (Pauli Henare, Paora Winitana) and Nelson Giants (Phill Jones, Chris Daniels).

Topic #16075 | Report this topic

Aims  
Years ago

It is an unfortunate thing to happen to the stars especially for the players and coach.

However on another note it may be a good thing for the Harbour Heat who would have beeen playing them in the second quarter final as in recent games against the stars they havn't really played their best but now playing taranaki they will want to make up for the last game where they lost to them. Should be an interesting game and hopefully the best outcome will come

Reply #189212 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One difference will be that the Heat are now playing a team who've travelled to their venue rather than just playing their cross-town rivals.

Surely the Stars sponsors and team wouldn't stand for a decision like this? You work all season long and can't give the post-season a shot because someone doesn't want to pay $15k?

Reply #189219 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Wow. Good to see the L have some balls.

Isaac, I've always been curious, how much do players get paid over there?

Reply #189246 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On a given team, the number of players being paid any significant amount would vary - maybe 3-6 paid and then the rest getting petrol money. I'd guess a number get around $5-30k (trainings are usually in the evenings, so players have time to work or study during the day).

I'd guess that the top players by talent or reputation could get more, but I'd be taking wild(er) guesses there.

You'd think that the teams with stronger fan bases could have more to offer. Hard to know. Then, Harbour Heat, for example, get fairly meagre crowds of a few hundred, but seem to have strong corporate support. Went to a Waikato game the other week and they might've had 800 fans there (and it was televised!), while some of the other teams can get 2-3,000 people to a game, I'm told.

It's a good option for NBL players wanting to keep working during the off-season, though there is the restriction that teams can only have two restricted players which limits the influx of Australians.

Reply #189251 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Would have probably been preferable to pull them from the league BEFORE the finals; as that is basically a proverbial "finger to the eye" of the Stars players.

If something of that magnitude were to happen in the NBL, you'd have to consider the kind of flak the league would get due to it (especially in the instances of teams like Sydney or Brisbane). You'd want to save decisions like that til after the finals.

Reply #189253 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They had a lot of warnings and opportunities to pay up though.

Watch the NBL play hard-ball with the Sydney Kings this week. Licence gets revoked on Wednesday.

Reply #189254 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hey Isaac, what are the annual fees for an NBL team to the league? I would have thought an NBL team would have to pay $X for an initial licence and then say $Y/yr to cover the "admin" of the league (eg refs etc)

Reply #189259 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For our NBL in Australia? No idea to be honest but I'd say you're right about the initial cost and then yearly fees. A new license could be $1m. Some recent teams have bought in cheaply by picking up abandoned licenses (e.g., Hunter) I think for a few hundred thousand perhaps?

Reply #189264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just heard on the radio news over here in NZ that the Auckland Stars have called in their lawyers. They maintain that Tab Baldwin (who is coaching overseas) has payed the fees

Reply #189269 | Report this post

Aims  
Years ago

An update on the news over here in NZ. The Auckland Stars have be re-instated into the nznbl playoffs on a technicality. After an 11 hour protest.

Not sure how i feel on this especially since the team that was to replace the stars has already made the journey to Auckland in anticipation in playing and now have to hand it back to the stars.
If you want to read the article on it go to:
http://www.basketball.org.nz/news/stars-return/

On another note, Isaac how did you find the game in Waikato the other week, it sure was an interesting game to watch and it was a bit on the cold side to.

Reply #189351 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

The highlight of the Waikato game has to be watching the post game dismantle of the court, who would have thought that brown packing tape had so many uses.

Reply #189353 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stars' lawyers have got them back in - dodgy stuff. And it comes after Taranaki players had changed holiday plans and flown to Auckland for the game. Pay up or get lost, I say.

Aims, Pistons game was good, especially following the side that won! Crowd filled up a bit and made some noise. Good level of talent on show.

Reply #189362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #245875 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:50 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754