TR
Years ago

2008 NBA Off Season.... GM'ing your team

Okay, the season is now complete, and congratulations to the Celtics.... Now all we have to look forward to for the next few months is the NBA draft and free agency before tip-off in October...

There are a tonne of NBA fans who visit this site, and I'm wondering if you were the GM of your favorite franchise what moves would you be making and players you'd be looking at picking up in the draft.

To make it easier, here is the free agents list.

http://linky.com.au/1nhio

Here are the team salaries (dont want to see people trying to add Gilbert to the Lakers etc when they don't have the money)

http://linky.com.au/0s2fo

Also add trades, but make sure they work. No point making trades if they don't work financially.

http://linky.com.au/c831a

Let the off season begin.........yawn

Topic #16179 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

if im C's i bring in magloire and duhon or jason williams to cover the departed PJ Brown and Sam I AM and i also try and draft jawai

Reply #190535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ontop of that i resign posey and house and use jawai as the coverage for the loss of pollard

Reply #190536 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Soooo, 2 Jawais??

If I can do that TR, I'm in for this game as well..

Deal me 2 MJ's, (1 x prime, 1 x Wizards) and a Magic..
(either one)..

Reply #190543 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

As a Bobcats supporter I'm interested in doing the following...

Team Needs:
A backup point guard under the age of 30. Interior scoring and a back to basket offensive threat.

Free Agents:
Resign Okafor. After turning down $12 mill per year over 5 last off season I hope that MJ offers Okafor around (maybe slightly less to begin with) the same number. He's the anchor the Cats need on defence.

I'd also like to take a run at Antwan Jamieson, but I think he'll be too expensive especially if Okafor is resigned.

I'd also chucking a large part of the MLE at Arroyo as the back-up PG. If I miss on him then Duhon. I'd also dip into the D-League and pick up a 3rd string PG.

Boykins, Anderson can walk. I wouldn't resign them. I'd resign Harrington and Davidson to the league minimum, basically as a big body insurance policy.

Draft:
With the 9th pick the Cats have to go big. If B.Lopez is still around at 9 (he's dropping due to poor workouts) then he's the man. Love is option 2 (if still around). Another option is Randolph, but he's skinny and won't really help for the first year or two.

On this draft I'd also by trying to buy/bribe/steal a late first round pick.

With the second rounder (number 38) I'm be going with DeVon Hardin.

Trades:
I do anything to move Sean May. I'm over this lazy waste of roster space. If a team was willing to give me a 2nd rounder for him I'd take it.

I'd try a Sean May for Hakim Warrick deal. I'd chuck in next years 2nd rounder as compensation to see if Memphis would bite.

Biggest Improvements:
I think by adding Larry Brown will be bigger than people realize. Sam Vincent outright sucked. Brown will win us an extra 4 or 5 games over the course of the season.

The Cats will also be adding Adam Morrison to the rotation. Hopefully he knee is good and he can come in and show people why he was the third pick in the draft.

Overall:
With a good draft pick that can help, Larry Brown's experience, Ammo returning and everyone a year wiser I'm hoping the Bobcats can slip into the 8th seed in the East. They will improve next season, and if they do make it I expect to be 1st round fodder.

Team (if everything falls in place):
Felton/Arroyo or Duhon/3rd string PG
J-Rich/Carroll/Morrison
Wallace/Dudley/Warrick
Okafor/Davidson/Harrington
Lopez/Mohammad/Hardin

Reply #190545 | Report this post

den  
Years ago

Denver Nuggets
Team Needs:
A veteran player with lots of playoff experience... maybe sign Sam Cassell as an assistant coach or to the minimum (but don't give him lots of minutes).

Free Agents:
Re-sign JR Smith for as long as possible (or match any other team offers).
Try to re-sign Eduardo Najera.
Waive Anthony Carter... send him to the Euro leagues where he belongs.
Re-sign 12th mans Taurean Green and Bobby Jones.

Draft:
Marresse Speights at #20. If not there, draft Mario Chalmers... if he's not there, go for the best player available.

Sign Anton Ponkrashov and Mantas Kalnietis if they go undrafted.

Trade:
1. Allen Iverson + Marcus Camby for Chauncey Billups + Rasheed Wallace.
2. Rasheed Wallace + Linas Kleiza for Ron Artest.

Coaching Personnel:
- Fire George Karl
- Hire Avery Johnson as head coach.
- Hire Boston's defensive assistant coach (the one they took from the Rockets).

Potential New Lineup:
C - Nene / Marresse Speights
PF - Kenyon Martin / Eduardo Najera
SF - Carmelo Anthony / JR Smith
SG - Ron Artest / JR Smith
PG - Chauncey Billups / Chucky Atkins
coach: Avery Johnson

championship team.

Reply #190552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suns....stated they are looking to get young and maybe pick up some more draft picks this year (guess we might actually use them then).
At #15 hope Rush is still on the board, he can contribute right away at the backup 2 and 3.
2nd round pick up Richard Hendrix to sit behind Amare and learn from him and the Big Fella or Bill Walker if he has slipped that far due to concerns about his knee.
If we move up in the draft go for Augustin or Bayless.
Diaw and Barbosa are being shopped.
Get some quality back up vets with the MLE desperate for a 'ship and have another tilt at it this year with some quality young guys developing so we are ready to rebuild on the fly.
Amare will be a year better and will certainly benefit being able to play a whole year at PF.
This year is just about make or break with the current group of starters though cuz we are getting OLD.

Reply #190565 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

As a jazz fan i have only one question, can we succeed with both Okur and Boozer? They are both quality PF's but are asked to alternate out of position. Really the jazz should be looking at the draft to either obtain a quality center or perhaps look to trade either Boozer or Okur to get one from another team.

If we happen to get Hibbert or some other development type rookie, will Sloan be patient enough to start him and let Okur come off the bench? Will Okur be cool with that?

The trade rumour of Prince and Rip for Boozer and Brewer makes me cream. Especially if we can still get a def center from the draft.

Reply #190639 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

If I were the Pacers GM.

1.) Trade Tinsley for just about any player with a similar or lesser contract. Use Foster, Daniels or Diogu as sweetener/filler if necessary.

2.) Hold onto JO unless a really good offer comes up. He will have more trade value at the end of next season.

3.) Extend Granger

4.) Draft Westbrook or Augustin at #11, presuming both of them aren't already gone.

Reply #190648 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

oh and btw, Dumars would never do that Nuggets / Pistons trade in a million years.

1. Allen Iverson + Marcus Camby for Chauncey Billups + Rasheed Wallace.

Reply #190649 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I'd love the Knicks to send Jermone James & Eddy Curry elsewhere.

Draft Nathan Jawai

Reply #190654 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

T-Wolves have to be in a reasonably enviable position at this stage - a young team with some significant talent and the chance to take a player like Mayo/Beasley (depending on the first 2 selections).

Draft - Take the best player availible at 3 (please K McHale - don`t take Love, Lopes, etc at #3 - trade the pick if you are doing that...)...

The two early second-rounders are in flux i guess... depends on workouts and whether a deal can be made in the lead up to draft (rumor is trading them to a mid-late 1st round team)... We do need a real C (since big Al is wasted there and Chris Richard seems out of his depth...)

Resign - Gomes priority #1 - NEXT!... Snyder at the right price could be a very savvy signing (but not at Hassel-like figures)... Same goes for Bassy - but less so since the guy is a massive offensive liability (his distribution is great but he can`t seem to get to grips with finishing - even at the rim), Craig Smith is worth signing - but might have to walk given the kind of money some stupid owner will offer him, Chris Richard - sign at minimum pro-rata or sayonara...

Trades - NONE... Bearing in mind Walker comes off the books next year - gives some wiggle room to sign a decent C (or put money aside to spend on re-signing one or both (fingers crossed) of our early 2nd round steals)...

PG - Foye 6-3/Jaric 6-7

SG - Mayo 6-5 /Jaric/Brewer 6-9 (still needs work here - but could develop into a fine 6th man - think an athletic Toni "Pink Panther" Kucoc (ignoring the obvious difference - and i don`t think the "Black Panther" is appropriate as a nic - for so many reasons... besides - he is already "Turbo")

SF - Gomes 6-7 /Brewer/Snyder 6-7

PF - Jeff 6-11 /Smith 6-7

C - 1st(trade from 2nds)/2nd rounder/Free-Agent/Jefferson/Richard 6-9 (only if on the cheap)...

It is pretty clear (after doing this lineup) that there is a BIG issue at C - but by all accounts there is a lot of value (especially in the C stocks) that are projected to be mid late 1st and early 2nds...
Another thing - overall this is potentially a very big (and skilled team)...

Minny - playoff bound in 08-09???

Reply #190659 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

"Minny - playoff bound in 08-09???"

I am assuming that was either a typo and you meant 2018-19 or you were talking about 3008-09?

Reply #190666 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

No typo RunTMC - i was just wondering out loud... They closed out the season pretty strongly (Foye was the difference maker... hopefully he can put the Roy/Foye draft day deal critics to bed next season...) considering they won double the games most people expected them to (pundits were saying they might be the worts ever!!!)- give them another off season together and add Mayo (haha!!!) - if he is as good as some are predicting, they might make just make it... I will be honest - i thought Minny were going to stink last season - and i was very surprised at them getting over 20 wins (22 to be exact)...

BTW i forgot about McCants - he may be on borrowed time tho. given his reputed attitude issues and the fact that the back cort will be getting crowded if Mayo comes in...

Reply #190670 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Yeah I know what you are saying - they aren't as bad as they might have been and will definitely get better. I just can't see it happening for a while tho - look at the teams in the West that finished above them - how many of those will they leapfrog? Not too many for at least five years.

Reply #190672 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Toronto:

Its so simple...

More black guys

No more Europeans because Colangelo likes their 'personality'...get some boys on the team with muscle, atheltism, arrogance...someone to shift them from softests in the league...to softness in the league but with two or three scary players...

AGainst the Magic, Lewis, Dooling, Nelson, Howard are all screaming, pumping their chest, looking intimidating...Toronto are watching going 'That Howards a special kinda guy (eddie murphy raw)'

Toughests (or one of) guy in the league: Corey Maggette...finally pull off that trade thats been talked about for a year and send TJ for Corey....there you go - finally...a slasher, a scorer...a guy who averages 9FT attempts a game and doesnt back down...a guy to completely free up Bosh - this trade also makes Calderon number 1 and sets him up for a huuge year...clippers lvoe it coz they get their PG and free up Thornton.

Then draft McGee, Jordan (Chad Ford has him slipping to 21 now!), Hibbert, any one of those bigs to start at centre to give them more toughness and rebounds...f@&k Bargnani off Im so sick of that guy...heard the nets were interested...intersted enought to give up 10th and 21st pick if it included Rasho :D - that takes care of their two big positions..they love bargnanis game and rasho was awsesome for two months last season (never happening...let me dream)

And please...please play Kapono...he doesnt miss...ever..

Jordan/God knows...Humphries..?
Bosh/...? wtf...
Maggette/Kapono
Parker/Douglas-Roberts(or Rush)
Calderon/Augustin...westbrooke will be gone :(

Mediocracy here we come!

I have no idea why I just did that...

Reply #190678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mayo will NOT go to the Twolves. He's made that pretty clear. I doubt McFail will take the risk and try and draft him anyway. If they draft him it may well be as part of a trade. He only wants to play for big market teams, think Kobe '96.
I believe your team is high on B.Lopez and Love.

Reply #190692 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Bargnani

I think he received a contract buy-out from the Raptors

Reply #190694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No that was Jorge Garbajosa the spaniard.

Reply #190696 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

For Utah

Trade Okur and a 1st round pick for Andres Biedrins - Don loves bigs who can shoot and with his small ball concept he would probably think that Wright can replace him. Biedrins is an exceptional shot blocker and rebounder, with serious length, athleticism and great hands. He can probably get 10 a game from offensive rebounds, lobs and set up passes and he's still very young and has shown promise as a scorer. Poosible future All Star

Sign Desagana Diop for the mid-level exception.

Trade Kirelinko + Miles for Battier + Alston + spare parts + 1st round pick. Kirelinko comes off the books at the same time as Mcgrady and Yao so they wont mind his contract, he can also get minutes at the 4 and an athlete - both which they need.

Trade Brewer and Houstan's 1st rounder for Thabo Thebolosha.

Get more catch and shoot players off the bench and re-sign Millsap.

Lineup of:

Willaims
Thebolosha
Battier
Boozer
Biedrins

Korver
Diop
Millsap
Almond
Harpring
Shooter
Shooter

Would be the most bad-ass defensive unit in the league. Battier is the best defensive small forward in the league, Williams is above average, Thebolasha is a great defender who will only get better and the Tandem of Diop and Biendrins would patrol the middle and the boards while also providing versatility with physicality in Diop and the quick footed defense of Biedrins.

I think Thebolosha will have a breakout year, exceptional defender, good athelete, and a good skill set - starting to hit some outside shots. With years and Williams side he could one day be a boarderline all star.

Biedrins is in the same boat, great athlete/defender/rebounder and the hands/fundamentals to be a borderline All Star.

Two of the best outside shooters going around in Battier and Korver and Almond hit the trey.

Go Me

Reply #190730 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Why would Houston even keep a straight face when asked for Alston, Battier and their 1st rounder for Miles and Kirilenko?

Reply #190788 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754