Cat 15
Years ago

Jawai-latest draft news

Hi everyone,
Found this on ESPN. It gives an indication as to where they think he will be drafted:
Nathan Jawai: Sonics at 24, Rockets at 25, Spurs at 26, Celtics at 30, Timberwolves at 31. Jawai is big and strong. But right now, it looks like he's more likely to go in the early second.

Out of these I'm not sure who I would prefer him to go to.
The rockets might be interesting, but he's not a great defender and so teaming him with Yao is probably not a great idea!
The Sonics would be exciting at least!
Spurs - would he get any minutes?? Perhaps back up to Duncan?
Celtics-normally I would think that going to the champs would make it hard to get a game, but he might be able to get in the rotation there!

As I've said before, I just hope he doesn't get drafted and then sent away. I hope he makes a squad and starts developing there.

At the very least I expect he will play summer league.

Topic #16264 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

He is getting good press, I think someone in need of a backup big will look at drafting him late.

I saw someone yesterday (think it was on ESPN.com) call him a 'mobile Kendrick Perkins'.

Cant wait for tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if/where Maric is drafted. Check out how well his numbers hold up...

This years center crop

Reply #191553 | Report this post

DR  
Years ago

Jawai was working out for the Spurs last Thursday, from the talk of the coaches about him on Monday he impressed, at Houston also.
The Spurs were more impressed with Maric tho... i was shocked at that statement but they say he's hardened up and is a strong prospect.

Reply #191556 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Wow Marics stats are very impressive. Wouldn't it be great to see his name added to the list of NBA players. He could be a real shock selection. Amazingly he didn't even make the Boomers squad. Just goes to show how strong our big man depth is at the moment!

Reply #191560 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'm hoping the Celtics get Jawai! Would be great to see my team draft an Aussie again (they once drafted Ben Pepper) and the big fella would have a shot at the rotation if he is good enough.

The Celtics badly need a back-up centre. They got away with KG at centre in a small lineup and used Big Baby and PJ Brown at other times. Not ideal, because they need to protect KG from injury, PJ may retire and Big Baby is just too short.

I have commented a couple of times recently about Jawai being a slightly more athletic big than Perkins. What it will come down to for him is how quickly he can learn to do what is asked of him by his coaches, and how much he is able to improve his conditioning.

The Spurs and T'wolves would be good places for him too. Houston would be terrible, because he'd be backing up Yao. I can't see them using the two together. I don't like Seattle either, because they have a bunch of young guys trying to work out how to win and could be moving to Oklahoma soon. Very unstable situation for him.

Reply #191578 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

i dont think minnesota would be ideal for him from a personal standpoint. Imagine growing up in cape york then living in minnesota!!!!!!!!!! Then again it snows a fair bit in boston as well but not like in minnesota.

Reply #191666 | Report this post

BarkoftheDog  
Years ago

at best Nathan Jawai will be Steven Hunter with Free Throws.

that's not bad from someone coming from the NBL.

Reply #191956 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754