Free Agent
Years ago

New Umpire Boss in SA

Sounds like he will not so much be the boss, more of a Coordinatior of programs?

Another person from a different sport

I think this is a good appointment

BSA appoints new Officiating Programs Coordinator
Basketball SA is pleased to announce the appointment of Tony Dey in the newly formed role of Officiating Programs Coordinator.

Tony brings to the role extensive experience in officiating, both as a current League Umpire and in a former position as an Umpiring Development Officer.

The former SANFL Development Officer was responsible for recruitment, retention and development of umpires through the implementation of umpiring programs in schools, associations and broader communities, which involved managing regional umpire managers, coaches and panels.

We are confident that Tony will be a great fit for the new Officiating Programs Coordinator role and will enable Basketball SA to deliver a new period of officiating development across South Australia.

Tony will begin in the role on Monday 14 July 2008.

Topic #16399 | Report this topic

ANON  
Years ago

Surely a BASKETBALL refereeing co-ordinator should have a knowledge of BASKETBALL. He may be an experienced development officer but it appears that his expertise lies in FOOTBALL. What happens when he has to make decisions on a referees ability to officiate basketball. I may have missed it but I don't recall seeing this position advertised. Is this just another example of decisions being made by a smal number of people in Basketball SA (1+1) who don't posses the experience or knowledge to select a person (or at least the best person) for a position such as this.

Reply #193260 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

ANON - "What happens when he has to make decisions on a referees ability to officiate basketball"

Where does it say that is part of his job description?

Reply #193270 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

It was definitely advertised and I know a few of the refereeing fraternity applied however they were really after more money than was being offered/available.

They didn't go for a basketball person - damn if they do damned if they don't.

Doesn't take a basketball person to organise venues, marketing and people to run programs.

Doesn't take a basketball person to organise rosters for games

Doesn't take a basketball to chair the referee commission

There are enough basketball people who volunteer their time, skills and expertise to run courses and be remunerated for their expenses. Unfortunately the people with those skills are in higher paying positions BSA couldn't afford.

Reply #193287 | Report this post

hoopsadverts  
Years ago

bluey, you do seem to be somewhat in the know. However, this person won't be doing any rostering or will he be chair of a 'referees commission'

Congratulations Tony, welcome to Basketball SA.

Reply #193299 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Is there still a "Referees Commission"????
Basketball SA and previously BASA have gone down this road before, selecting people from outside basketball to run a BASKETBALL association. It created problems before and those problems are still there now. There is also the ongoing problem of association staff having a conflict of interest from OPENLY being associated with a club and pushing the interests of that club in preference to pushing the interests of basketball as a whole.
BLUEY - why would a Referees Coordinator be organising venues, marketing and people to run programs? Rostering could be a problem if the coordinator can't evaluate a referees performance and doesn't get the right information as to rankings compared to game standards.

Reply #193316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON what exactly is your problem with this appointment? As was advertised the role is a Development role and not a replacement for the person who has left.

As was stated above he has experience in the SANFL in running development programs and that sort of experience is vital for the job he will be doing.

As far as I can tell he won't have anything to do with rostering for District basketball or deciding who does what games.

Your having a go at the business based on the wrong information.

Sounds like a great appointment to me and I for one don't care what sport he came from, someone of the experience level of Tony is someone we need involved in our sport.

Reply #193322 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Pretty sure there is still a referee commission if it isn't called that I am not sure but there is definitely a group of people that gather to discuss referees at a committee level - whether it is a commission or not I am unsure.

ANON that is his job to organise programs for referee development - that is his title.

He is not there to run the association he is there to organise development of officials.

You obviously have some issues with the staff, because they have conflict of interest because they are involved in a club - yet you have a problem with someone with no affiliation with any club. Maybe the problem is your club doesn't have any representation and you feel that you are missing out.

Are you unhappy because didn't get the job or was it some other job you applied for and didn't get. You know it doesn't matter how long you hold that grudge nothing will change - the whole basketball world is out to get you.

Reply #193333 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754