Anonymous
Years ago

Scandal at 18 Nationals!

Soon after their Grand Final win, the Vic Metro girls bus was totally trashed by members of certain other teams that couldn't hack the Vics taking home their 4th straight gold in that age group! Im talking shaving cream, toilet paper, silly string, tomato sauce, baked beans, womens toiletries, sausage rolls.. the works! They even supposedly slashed the back tire. It was bad enough that they couldn't even get the bus out of the carpark and BA had to fork out for taxi's and eventually another minibus just so the team could get back to the hotel, have a good night and then get home in the morning.
Talk about teenage girls taking it to the extreme!

Topic #16462 | Report this topic

Dogga  
Years ago

Or that the ref's were out on the piss on the Saturday night during (not after) the tournament till past 2 in the morning. BA then gave one of them the Mens GF.

Reply #193860 | Report this post

Naughty Naughty  
Years ago

Is that fact Dogga or is that just some BS you've come up with.

Reply #193866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if it was fact, what time was their game the next day (on the Sunday)? Surely if it was an early game, it would be understandable as to why this may be an issue. If, however, the referee's game was later in the day, shouldn't there be some leeway given? Also, is it fact that they were "out on the piss" "till past 2 in the morning"? Or, were they just OUT, not "on the piss", just enjoying a couple of brews "till past 2 in the morning"? Also, how much past 2?

Reply #193868 | Report this post

Dogga  
Years ago

As I understand, they broke a BA agreement that they had to sign regarding behaviour and some where disciplined. And if you think it is OK then you must not think that the hours that players have put in should count for anything. If a ref turned up hung over, and it effects the games. How would BA look, and who should pay back the money parents have spent?

Reply #193873 | Report this post

Naughty Naughty  
Years ago

You wouldn't be one of the umps in question by any chance would you #193868?

Reply #193874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#193868 posting again.

No, I'm not. I was just wondering what the circumstances were. If they have broken a BA agreement, then there is an issue. I was just seeking clarification.

Reply #193884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im suprised any clubs in the rat would let any of those geeks in anyways... looks like they took advantage of a slow night in town...

Reply #193905 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

As far as I am aware (after speaking with many of the referees there) no one was breaking any BA guidelines as they were complying with the direction given by the Commissioner.

Referee's that had early games weren't out at that time, only the referees that had later games the next day, the earliest being 3pm.

I believe a group from our very own state that think they are above the game, squealled on the referees which made them have to abide by a child like curfew. I can't believe BA folded like a cheap suit to a complaint that had no substance and came from a group of people that have no credibility within basketball circles.

I'm glad I wasn't refereeing at that tournament!!!

Reply #193945 | Report this post

Max Walker  
Years ago

Graeme,

There were no players or coaches out at that time as far as I am aware, and if they were then that is equally unprofessional. Why should the referees be any different? They are there to officiate to the best of their ability. If they are out late on any night other than the final night that is unprofessional and disrespectful to all the competitors and their parents.

That is why the complaint was made. The fact that you do not see it as a problem shows that you are part of it.

The standard of referee-ing was below the high standards from previous years. Maybe more of the professionalism shown by the vast majority of the competitors should be shown by some referees.

Reply #193949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Graeme. Insignificant people putting there 10 cents worth in were it isn't needed, maybe this is why they didn't get the 'W'. Worrying about things that have nothing to do with them and not keeping there mind on the job at hand.

Reply #193950 | Report this post

Max Walker  
Years ago

Well then you are also part of the problem. It was unprofessional and dealt with appropriately by BA as it should have been.

Reply #193955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets think about this people that stoop so low as to do something like this to others means that they were obviously not good enough at the time and are taking it out on people just cause they believe that they can!
it also means that if they were apart of the teams that were there that they should'nt of been out at 2am in the morning either as they need to respect the players and parents of the team they are with.

Dogga you also cant say that it effects the game if in fact that it didnt and they still did their job all week!

Max walker i think you will find that the refereeing was of its high standard and this nationals would not exist if that level was not there!

And i agree with graeme, if people from this state can do something like that and think that it is the right thing do when it is not! if you have to stoop that low to do something like that then it means all you are there to do is cause trouble that is not needed and soon you will find yourself with out a sport because you will have no referee's there and yet again it will be their fault.

Reply #193963 | Report this post

Max Walker  
Years ago

It's not a matter of causing trouble. It's a matter of holding referees accountable. Everyone else in the sport is held more accountable for their actions than the referees.

I disagree with you on the referee-ing standard. It was not as good as previous years. We will have to beg to differ.

As far as not having a sport without referees. I agree. However if the referees think they are above the game then the sport is better off by having the participants call their own fouls. This is done successfully when no referees turn up to practice games (which seems to happen regularly due to their lack of accountability). Players and coaches would be held to account if they missed training or practice games.

I keep saying accountability. Some referees hear that and run the other way. THAT is the problem!

Reply #193967 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

This thread is going nowhere!

Reply #193978 | Report this post

Hoops 84  
Years ago

Should have stopped after the first post

Reply #193981 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Nah its better then days of lives! Very childish but keep it going I say. Has to be school holidays. hahaha

Reply #194008 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

Of course it was to cause trouble Max! Why else would the referees have been followed around by someone with a camera in a night club, or pub whichever they were in? Why would this group of guys take a camera out on a random Saturday night in Ballarat not to stir the pot...?

I don't know how you can also say that they aren't accountable for their actions, as none of the referees (that went out) performances were below par the next day. Every referee knows of the repercussions that arise if they go out and hit the night life and referee badly the next day. You get reemed for it and potentially sent straight home. Thankfully I have never had to deal with that side of it as my performances on the floor were never affected by the night before (and I have a couple of gold medals to prove that).

It's funny how referee's are always alienated and considered weird by the general basketball community, where now they go out and act like "normal" people on a Saturday night and get critisized for it... what can referee's do right? Don't be social you are considered an alien, go out and be social and all of a sudden you are unprofessional...

Reply #194026 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hate to slow you all down - I was at Nationals and I dont remember any games on Sunday. So I think that it had to be Friday night can we at least attempt to get any kind of fact into the discussion please.

The damage to Vic Metro bus was pretty sad really and I know that the state teams involved are pretty shattered. Shame some parents from up north were not held accountable for their hideous behaviour during the tournament. Kinda made the whole thing a bit ordinary really. Some seem to forget that these are 16 and 17 year old kids playing how sad - play the ball not the man!

Everyone tried hard, worked hard and I do hope enjoyed every minute of it, as for some it will be as good as it gets!

Reply #194033 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Every tournament regardless if the Referees go out or not, people will complain they were all out late and on the Piss. Even the nights when we all stay home we are accused of going out. You are better off as a referee if you do go out, because come 10am tomorrow morning you are all going to be sitting there getting a lecture about it (regardless if it happened or not).

Max and all the other exceptional ambassadors of the game wouldnt have put any undue stress on the referees all week. I bet not even one person screamed out for a foul during the whole championship. So why would the referees who obviously had good finals the next day want to go out and clear their head the night before a game they must perform on?

Reply #194054 | Report this post

Pea  
Years ago

Cheez, check out the title "scandal".

Egging a team bus is hardly a scandal.

Reply #194086 | Report this post

D K Lillee  
Years ago

Anon,

Obviously you were not at the tournament. Just another Bullsh#t story of yours.

Nationals started on Saturday the 5th, the same night that Ref's decided to go out. They still had a week of the tournament to go.

Bring on some more whoppers and we will shoot them down.

Reply #194088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pea i think you'll find their bus was alot more than egged.

Reply #194096 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

DK Lillie

Your right my bad i thought they were talking about the night before the g/f.

But thanks for the slagging I will work on whppers for you to shoot down.

And yes I was there for the whole week including a freezing session at that sh1t stadium around the corner. I would love to look for you with your camera next year so let me know if you will be at 20's!

Reply #194105 | Report this post

Pea  
Years ago

Hardly a scandal.

Reply #194282 | Report this post

Pea  
Years ago

Coach in sex romp; umpires paid to help a team; stats changed to make a player look better; draw rigged - these would all be scandlals.

Team bus pelted with eggs, jam, toilet paper and even IF a tyre was ever slashed, it is hardly a scandal.

Reply #194357 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Pea

This is junior sport and some may expect some level of sportsmanship shown at the elite level. I think that it is more connected with that then anything else. People, some coaches included certainly lost sight of this at nationals this year which needs to be dealt with as it will only get worse.

Would you feel differently if it was your daughter/state team that was the target?

Reply #194366 | Report this post

Grod365  
Years ago

Agree with Pea. I looked further into this thread because I thought something juicy had happened.

Unsportsmanship at the U18 nationals; whats new?

I cant answer for Pea but if my kid was the target at least I would rest assured that she was part of the winning national team.

The winners are grinners - the rest can go wreck a bus.

Reply #194426 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754