Isaac
Years ago

36ERS storm home against Kings

In front of the best crowd at the Distinctive Homes Dome so far in the 2004/05 season, the Adelaide 36ERS have stormed home to beat the league-leading Sydney Kings, 116-105.

Dusty Rychart, after a valiant effort in defeat of 28 points and 21 rebounds against Melbourne on Wednesday, backed up with a career-high 40 points at 74% and had 12 rebounds and 6 assists for the home side. He scored at more than a point per minute and had a single turnover in a regicidal performance that kept Adelaide within touch heading into the final quarter.

Brett Maher was just short of a triple double in support, scoring 23 points, grabbing 9 rebounds and dishing out 9 assists. His 14 final quarter points were vintage Maher, as the 36ERS outscored the Kings outfit 38-17 for the period, despite Rychart fouling out of the game with almost 6 minutes still to play.

Willie Farley was also in top gear with 27 points after a poor shooting result in the previous game. Excellent support also came from Oscar Forman (14 points, 8 rebounds) and centres David Cooper and Paul Rees (6 points each).

The first quarter was largely even as Mark Sanford ran out of the blocks with 10 early points, but his effort was matched by Farley (10 in the period) and Rychart (9). Jacob Holmes left the game after only four and a half minutes and didn't return, and Darren Ng was used sparingly after injuring his finger on Wednesday.

For the first half, the Kings had every answer to Adelaide's efforts despite Rychart and Farley doing almost everything to mount a challenge. Rychart had 21 at half-time and Farley 19, but no other Sixer had more than 4 points.

Shooting at 40% to the Kings 49% and losing the rebound count 26-31, Adelaide were in danger of letting a game slip out of their reach. The Kings outscored Adelaide in the second quarter as well as the first, and did the same again in the third.

The glimmer of hope came in the foul count as a few Kings players headed towards foul trouble.

The fourth quarter was an awesome team display and the cohesion amongst Adelaide players was demonstrated by the single second half turnover incurred by the 36ERS -- a strong contrast to the 12 from the Kings.

Maher opened the final term with a three pointer and didn't look back, scoring another 11 during the period. When his two point basket put Adelaide in front 91-90, the crowd were at full voice. With the following three pointer, he forced a Sydney time out and those in the Dome were on their feet affording the 36ERS a well deserved standing ovation.

Rychart, too, showed no lack of stamina repeatedly scoring or drawing fouls and making free throws. However, after reaching 40 personal points on a three point play, he fouled out with Adelaide up by 5 and with 6 minutes to go. Sydney were not quite done -- Bruton finding his touch (8 points in the term), and the Kings making 2 of 2 free throws -- but Rees was not one to let them back in the game, managing his own three point play.

The edge lost with the departure of Rychart to the bench was regained with Rolan Roberts fouling out and sending Forman to the line for 2 of 2 free throws. From there, the scores were deadlocked at 106-101: Maher was fouled but missed both his free throws (what more ominous sign could there be to a 36ER fan?), Cooper missed a layup, and Luke Martin nailed a three for the Kings.

Again, the scores deadlocked, this time at 108-105. With 40 seconds left in the game Maher, having run down the shot-clock and then run into a wall of defenders, looped a pass out to Forman on the perimeter -- all net, and the narrow home team lead doubled to 111-105.

From there it was all smiles on Adelaide faces as the team pushed on to a remarkable victory -- Farley missing the second of two free throws only for Cooper to tip it in, and then Maher hitting 2 of 2 for some free throw icing.

Adelaide 116 (Rychart 40, Farley 27, Maher 23, Forman 14, Cooper, Rees 6)
Sydney 105 (Sanford 26, Bruton 19, Sheridan 15, Roberts 14, Knight 12, Smith 11, Martin 8)

FG: 45% - 50% (Rychart 14/19)
3P: 38% - 42% (Forman 2/3)
FT: 73% - 62% (Rychart 12/19, Farley 7/8, Maher 7/8)

Rebounds: 42-45 (Rychart 12, Maher 9, Forman 8, Cooper 7)
Assists: 25-29 (Maher 9, Rychart 6, Farley 5; Bruton 12)

MVP votes:

3 - Rychart (40, 12 and 6)
2 - Maher (23, 9 and 9 -- only 1 turnover)
1 - Sanford (26, 9 and 3 blocks)

Boxscore

Game Pictures

Topic #1650 | Report this topic

genna  
Years ago

Maher - 1 point & 1 assist off a triple double! So close! Dusty seems to have hit his best form so far this season. He has stepped it up over the past few games, and is playing with a lot more confidence. Hopefully after tonights performance against the Kings, he will finally win a much deserved POTW!

Reply #18852 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Against Melbourne: 28 points, 21 rebounds.

Against Sydney: 40 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists.

Unless Bradtke pulls out a huge performance against the Crocs on Sunday, and the Melbourne go 3-0 for the round, I think Dusty might have finally got POTW.

I have emailed Dusty to personally thank him for his contributions to my Sportal Fantasy League team (had him in my starting five).

Best crowd of the season. Best atmosphere of the season. Music was great, dancers were great, action on court was fantastic, crowd really getting into it (what was with the half-time entertainment -- was I imagining it or was there really a sandwich making competition?).

Dusty just didn't give up all night and what a round of basketball he's had this week. Farley was very slick. Maher started slowly but then elevated. And a great pressure three from Oscar. Sixers were only up by three and the game was on a knife-edge. Brilliant final quarter from all players.

Reply #18856 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

For ignorami such as myself, from Merriam-Webster:

Regicidal:
1. one who kills a king
2. the killing of a king

Isaac, were you given a "Word of the day" diary for Christmas? If so, do you have a word whose meaning is "clutch three pointer as shot clock expires"?

Reply #18860 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"clutch three pointer as shot clock expires" -- shot of his career, perhaps?

Reply #18861 | Report this post

sc  
Years ago

Yes Isaac, from a fan's perspective the half time entertainment was hopeless, pathetic and shitful tonight to say the least.

But at the same time, they obviously had some sponsorship going tonight from Balfours. They were giving away free bread and the sandwich competition was obviously tied in with that.

A difficult one I suppose - chance to obtain some sponsorship dollars while boring the hell out of the crowd or entertain the crowd and possibly lose a bit of money?

Looks like the City Mazda 'Win-a-Car' competition is a decent sponsor jumping on board as well.

Reply #18863 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Lucky Pauls Rees didnt see the half time entertainment or he wouldnt have left the court!

Reply #18864 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Just a question regarding the boxscore Isaac posted. I see Nick Hambours name on there, does anyone know how many games he has left? he can only play a certain amount because he is a development player.

Reckon he would only have 2 or 3 left now for this season.

Reply #18865 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

It was a good move to make the half time entertainment boring or it would have taken away the excitement the last quarter of the game, haha.

Reply #18866 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me about the result of the Academy game?

Reply #18871 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

sc - Mazda have been onboard as a sponsor since the beginning of the season, taking over from Portside Mitsubishi.

The word I heard was that Balfours were on board for the half-time sponsorship because Coca-Cola pulled theirs. It's amazing how crazy people go for bread -- they love food giveaways!

m - the restriction on development players applies to away games only. Hambour and Gower have played their limit of away games which is why you will see Gerlach travel on road trips.

Reply #18876 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

:) Thanks Isaac

Reply #18888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Academy beat Southern by about 8 i think.

Reply #18902 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Reply #18910 | Report this post

sc  
Years ago

I reckon Dusty might not feel so bad about his free throws when he sees the box score from tonights Brisbane v Hunter game.

Brisbane's Bryant Matthews made 5/19 = 26% free throws.

Reply #18954 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Brett Maher was just awesome in the last Q. You cant count out a champion even after he miseed something like 6 straght shots and then to finish close to a Tripple Double!

All Class Maher

Reply #18974 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:10 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754