Skin
Years ago

NBL Draft

Do you think that there would be any chance for an NBL draft to be intoduced??

With also some more measures to stop so much player movement each season. I am of the opinion that if you maintain your roster (or a majority of it) there will be a lot better support by citys. Obviously imports would be in a different catigory but would like to know peoples opinions.

Topic #16507 | Report this topic

Nash2Stoudemire  
Years ago

Could be a quick draft with 1 round of 11 picks... And the majority of those selected probably not getting a roster spot...

I'd love to see an NBL draft but we just don't have a big enough league to warrant one. NBA teams only take 1 or 2 rookies a year. That would make our draft probably 15 picks deep.

The weaker teams probably benefit the way it is as the kids want to go somewhere that they will get a chance to play, not a championship team where they are 3rd or 4th string.

Reply #194378 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Even something to select developement players from would be good i reckon.

Reply #194380 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Why should a local youngster born in a NBL teams region be foreced to move? if he can get a gig locally.

Reply #194382 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Good point KC, seems thats how it works with most sports tho. But I guess with the NBL minimum $ being ordinary, it may be hard to pack up and move without insentive.

Reply #194384 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

On 2nd thoughts having a draft of IMport PLayers would have a Bigger impact on how the bottom teams competed.

Reply #194385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about if you still had a draft but you could pick up development players before, but only from your state. sort of like how the afl has father son rule.

Reply #194430 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Not a bad idea. Unfortunately the league isn't in a state to offer incentive for getting put in a draft; techically you could do a draft for kids straight out of AIS (considering kids travel there from all around australia, don't see why it would bother them moving interstate).

I don't think if you applied a father/son style ruling for drafting, it would really work unless you had a reason to compete for bids by multiple clubs in the same state (i.e would be pointless for SA and WA). I think en mass camps pre-season for potential prospects should be done, that way if you want to tryout for a team, you simply drive to that state for trials; and if you don't want to play in another state, you simply don't bother trying out in other states.

Reply #194456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:08 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754