Hangin Round
Years ago

Player Safety - Condensation on courts at MV

I had to venture to Morphett vale for a Sunday morning 8.30 game. When entering, I was advised that the courts were slippery due to condensation. There were drops of water coming from the roof. While there were a number of people walking around with cloths to mop the water up, there were a few players slipping over.
I wonder what would happen if somebody gets seriously hurt after sliding on 'condensation', especially when the stadium staff are very aware of the dangers?

Topic #16605 | Report this topic

anonymous  
Years ago

it becomes a 'public liablity' issue if the stadium knows about it

Reply #195386 | Report this post

rocky  
Years ago

Used to happen regularly when I umpired at Hilcrest. Was usually ok for the first game, but the second game often had to be cancelled, we never risked it and that must have been ten years ago.

Reply #195401 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Speaking from experience, if the courts have water on them and players are slipping over, it is the referee's responsibility to halt the game due to unsafe conditions. If a player were to be injured, the referees would be liable, as would the stadium management should they have known about it and allowed games to continue.
As a referee, I have personally stopped games and aso not allowed some to start for this very reason. I am not going to allow players to get injured unnecessarily. If I know there is water or some other hazard on the court, and I don't stop the game, then I am liable.

Reply #195402 | Report this post

gravity man  
Years ago

Its happened many times during very cold mornings at hillcrest and Morphett Vale,unfortunately staff are just taking a blind eye at the situation,if they call off all games due to this then they lose out on their pay packet,they dont care about the kids who get 'INJURED"all they think of is how much money they generate.BASA hates reschedulding games.Referees can call the game off just like that,but staff advise the opposite keep all games running!!!!!!!!

Reply #195561 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

In my opinion, a "Duty Of Care" or "In Loco Parentis" is in effect when talking about Junior Basketball games taking place with moisture on the court.

The players are reliant on responsible adults to exercise a duty of care regarding their safety at all times. I suggest coaches consider their decision to put players on the court in this situation.

Consider this point - is the equipment in a condition appropriate for the activity?
NO - Then responsible adults (coaches) COULD be held liable by the parents of players for injuries incurred.
- If a parent voices their concern, but still allows their player to play and that player gets injured, that would be on the parent.
- If a parent drives another player to the game and they get injured...

Reply #195593 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:46 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754