Anonymous
Years ago

Stay in SASI but not trial for State?

If you enjoy the SASI training but know you are just making up the numbers and not one of his favourites, can you stay in SASI for the training but not trial for State? Can't ask the coach for obvious reasons.

Topic #17045 | Report this topic

Skin  
Years ago

I wouldn't Recommend it

Reply #201013 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If your kid is making up the numbers - why is he/she there in the first place - I would think that it goes against the objectives and policies of the SASI program to have kids involved just to make up numbers! Trying for the state team is another issue, and kids who are in SASI should at least be trialling for the State teams! My guess is despite what you say about your child making up numbers - this would not be the case in the coaches eyes.

Reply #201020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe it i compulsory to trial, also i dont beleive anyone at sasi would be there just to make up numbers. Even if they are not to the same level as most of the others the coaches probably see potential

Reply #201028 | Report this post

Too hard  
Years ago

Enjoy SASI training........how rare? U18 girl dropped out last season and was STILL ALLOWED to trial AND MADE the state team.....one U18 boy didnt trial for state and hence no more SASI.???????????

Reply #201031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too hard, that particular selection, given her attitude, caught most by surprise but the coach likes Norwood girls. In the other state team, if the first year 16 guard had had a better tournament she would have got an AIS gig because he loves her.
SASI is a bit of a farce really with mainly Norwood, Sturt and Forestville coaches so players know they won't get a look in and praise is only for the chosen ones.

Reply #201046 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I may have the information wrong but it was indicated to moi that there are supposed to be regular rotations (eg every 12 weeks)of kids that attend SASI. So coaches get to look at other kids and not the same old same old. Is this the case, does it happen?

Reply #201051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not so.
But they would be better rotating the coaches and spreading them around though. On rotations, do they ever put the state head coach job out for tenure or is it a job 'til retirement?

Reply #201070 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Do you people just make shit up?

Reply #201072 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No Wam Soosnam, this was communicated to me by a parent at another club - are you involved at SASI? do you know that this is not true or not supposed to be happening? or are you just guessing?

Reply #201089 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

Who are these forestville coaches at SASI you are talking about?

If you ment the 1 F/ville coach who happens to be the U16 SAC coach as well then I would hardly call it "mailny made up from..."

Reply #201098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the SASI coaches are pretty much volunteers? I have never heard of anyone asking to come out and being knocked back (may have happened, I just haven't heard about it). Maybe the people willing to put in the time mostly come from those clubs (if in fact there are more from certain clubs - I don't know).

Reply #201111 | Report this post

Ring NG and see which night you can come out. Its not a hard process if you are willing to put in some more time coaching.

Reply #201116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My child was faced with this same problem, however i admit he was not just there to make up the numbers. He was told that he could not quit the state program as SASI did not want him just to be another club player. Whilst it may seem unfair at the end of the day it will only make them better

Reply #201122 | Report this post

scooby  
Years ago

The country program equivalent (HP DNSP) has similar rules. If you want to remain part of the High Performance group, part of your contract is to trial for SAC

Reply #201126 | Report this post

Fox 16  
Years ago

SASI is not the State program. It is a feeder program to the AIS.

And AIS selection uses State to assess all AIS athlete's as a part of the selection criterea.

Hence, a player can play State but not be a part of SASI. This happens each year,

But a SASI player would be expected to try out for State as they are under selection guidelines for the AIS.

Reply #201132 | Report this post

victorian  
Years ago

Name the last state player not in SASI

Reply #201137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

80% of the Country state teams are not SASI athletes!

Reply #201142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just try out for state u loser

Reply #201150 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I agree with victorian - name a state metro kid not in sasi - you cannot

Reply #201153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victorian, a norwood girl found SASI too hard and quit but was still selected for the state u18 team this year however the state coach was also her club coach which might have helped.

Reply #201207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was a south player in u16 metro men this year who is not in sasi.

Reply #201209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Post #201111
I was Div 1 coach and once asked to be part of the SASI program and was knocked back, bit of a blow to the ego really but it does happen and there are obviously standards to be met that not everyone is capable of. Still didn't stop me and others from watching and learning, better than bitching and moaning.

Reply #201210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the requirements for a SASI coach then? Do they have to do special courses etc?
Where are SASI coaches openly listed ?
Are they nearly all Sturt and Norwood people?

Reply #201224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unsure - try the SASI website or NG for your answers, good questions tho.

Reply #201229 | Report this post

Fox 16  
Years ago

victorian,

Maintain your ignorance, I am sure that you will remain in bliss if you do so.

This year an U18 Girls as well as an U16 Boys made the State team without being in SASI.

Reply #201238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but neither should have.

Reply #201242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I agree with victorian - name a state metro kid not in sasi - you cannot"

Haha - as shown above you are a fool anon.

Reply #201351 | Report this post

victorian  
Years ago

Jeeeeez,

Touchy subject that. Sorry I asked what I thought was a simple question

Reply #201356 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Victorian,

You have just questioned the integrity of the boyz club ....We all know the answers thats why we don't ask any more !!!

Reply #201357 | Report this post

The Moose  
Years ago

Victorian,
Reads more like a statement that a question.

anon,
Why should they not have made the team if they were good enough in the opinion of the coaches?

Reply #201363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What body appoints the state head coach and what is the tenure as Ive never seen it advertised?

Reply #201404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mustn't have looked too hard - it was advertised last year on the BSA website.
Every coach at my club was also forwarded the application from BSA on email via our secretary (I'd assume all clubs would do the same)

No idea who appoints them though.

Reply #201415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you say that neither should have made the state teams, how can you say that... the coahces obviously saw something in them, stop dissing the guys and girls that have the talent to represent our state and start supporting or else in a couple of years no ones going to want to be on the state team because no one will support them. Its not always about the best talent, its about who works well in a team together

Reply #201694 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754