I'm Spartacus
Years ago

Biggest HOPS in S.A

There have been a few leapers play in S.A over the years, but for me I can't go past Al Green.
I believe when he first arrived his vertical was around the 45 inch mark.

For the Whitey's, I would have to go for a young Mark Leader.

Topic #1712 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

Craig Gilbert had huge hops.

Reply #19384 | Report this post

a  
Years ago

Before he did his knee, Marcus Ng. Hopefully he won't lose anything when he comes back

Reply #19389 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

GRANT YATES COULD GET UP!!

Reply #19390 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

BILLY FIKES!!!

Reply #19394 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

So who would have the biggest hops now in the ABL?

Reply #19395 | Report this post

Bosco  
Years ago

Daniel Zackerjack or Max Papendick from 18 state last year both have nice verts

Reply #19398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott Lampshire has crazy ups. He got 94cm on his vertical leap test at Norwood last season. Also Dan Thompson has an enormous vert as well, above the 90 mark also.

Reply #19407 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

dont know if any remembers Aden Tutton, played juniors at West, now plays volleyball, one of the best in Aus. We tested each other for uni assignments and he has a veritcal leap of 115cm. Another massive one i know of was Ben Stokes, Aboriginal kid used to play for NCT, i played footy with him at south and he had verts of 112cm. crazy

Reply #19419 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

gav kargins from woodville 18's 1.

Reply #19422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shannon seebohm forestville 18's 1

Reply #19426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

killa from woodvile.... BAHAHAHA

Reply #19427 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Well I've not seen too many people keen to be in the way when Steve Pilkington is going to the basket.
Took Mark Nash to the hoop a couple of times last season in a couple of rare Panther victories.

Reply #19428 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

hate to break it to ya champ, but Nash didnt play against south at all last year!

Reply #19429 | Report this post

MO'g  
Years ago

?...it was the previous year..actually i think he threw down a lob on him if i remember correctly.

Reply #19439 | Report this post

Seth and Munchie  
Years ago

Grant Yates - main court at Morphett Vale - saw him throw down some huge dunks.
Craig Gilbert - made dunking look so easy.
Matty Deegan - ex-Norwood junior - most athletic kid I have ever seen.

and of the current juniors:
Shannon Seebohm - this kid gets up there.

Reply #19441 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

yeah i agree ex-woodville junior matt deegan could play any sport he wanted to and be good at it.he chose soccer.

Reply #19442 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Matty Deegan afaik holds the SASI and/or AIS (spent 2 years there) vertical leap record and Beep test record and one other too I think. Watch maybe for a new Aussie soccer star in the making. In United yet?

Around the traps it is said Shannon S dunked all over the Tigers u18s Div1 before Christmas, he flew like an eagle.

Reply #19448 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

I think you will find Deegs holds the soccer record, rather than an all out record, and probly for both SASI and the AIS. I agree with the, what should i call it, stupidity... of his decision to follow soccer with that athleticism. But, best of luck to him anyway

Reply #19452 | Report this post

Sir Spark  
Years ago

Matty Deegan without a doubt.
In under 16's at Woodville we had an alley oop play for me (and occasionally me...I had to plug it)...but he was like 5'9 at that stage and could elevate off 2 feet and dunk 2 hands with ease.

Reply #19455 | Report this post

I hear Andy White can get up there

Reply #19457 | Report this post

Sir Spark  
Years ago

Shite...****Alley oop play for HIM

What can I say I feel ridiculous

Reply #19458 | Report this post

Matty Deegan wasn't 5'9, the afro put him up to at least 6'4

Reply #19459 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

trainings were alwas fun with deegs, we would lob it up and let him finish it of with style!

Reply #19463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

frangers from north has a amazing vertical leap

Reply #19466 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Josh Coulter anyone?

Reply #19478 | Report this post

Seth and Munchie  
Years ago

You are right 'thedoctor' - how could we forget Coulter. Up there with the best of them for sure

Reply #19485 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

BIG COULTS!!! It seems the best of our athletes take off to other sports. Best of Luck to Josh with having a crack at playing league with NOrth this year

Reply #19488 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Damien 'Sticks' Williams from West. He had huge hops

Reply #19489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Rees

Reply #19495 | Report this post

MO'g  
Years ago

coulter for sure...i remember at SASI in U16 he would have one step from directly underneath the ring and just go up and hang off the rim...his hops nearly landed him in hot water at old sturt stadium though...easily the biggest i have seen from someone probably then 6'1...Adam Campbell from NCT back in the day...the guy who use to have nike ticks tattooed on his ankles..U16 he used to get up big time and Pat Hogan...jesus there's so many

Reply #19500 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Adam 'Nugget' Campbell.

Jerome from West

Reply #19504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Decure has fair hops!

Reply #19508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rob Castenelli (i think that is his last name) played social at Pasadena and now for Forestville mens (div 3's i think) = huge hops!

Reply #19515 | Report this post

yoyo  
Years ago

adam campbell in one game at athol park, had his eyes at rim level on a few rebounds....the guy is 5 ft 10...just uncontrollabe hops. that was an under 14 game. i am not joking!!

Reply #19524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes u r

Reply #19525 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Deegan was great to train with, some of the stuff he was doing was awesome.

I've been told stories of Dan Thompson jamming it on people at the Classics in U16s.

The dunk I saw Brad Hill pull off over Scott Lampshire last year still rates as the best dunk I have seen, ever, NBL or ABL or juniors or whatever.

Reply #19534 | Report this post

joe mayo  
Years ago

brett rainbow

Reply #19557 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Jamie Granger in u/18's and U/20's. Caught a half-court alley at the Port and was well above the rim

Reply #19559 | Report this post

Regul_8  
Years ago

Best hops....
Zane Reeves period!

Reply #19562 | Report this post

zbop  
Years ago

kenny tyrrell played u/18 state a few years back, he could really get up, windmills, alleys ect

Reply #19564 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

nah, yoyo isn't kidding. did u ever see adam campbell play? he did everything, and was also the most clutch u/14 player anyone will ever see.

Reply #19566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but ring at eye height for a U14... honestly tell the truth now.

Reply #19583 | Report this post

"The dunk I saw Brad Hill pull off over Scott Lampshire last year still rates as the best dunk I have seen"

Tell me more, Libertine! Two of the greatest verticals in the game!

Reply #19589 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

even if the pass was bad matty deegan would still be able to catch it will his mass leaping ability.

Reply #19610 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Way to rejig an old topic, but...

Interstellar Overdrive, Brad was on a fast break, had received a pass, Scotty was in front and had jumped, his elbow was clearly at ring height. He was standing less then a foot away from the ring, on the right side of the basket. Brad has come in from the 45 angle, maybe more of a 60 degree angle from the base. He's jumped, brought it around from underneath him, and taken it cleanly OVER THE TOP of Scotty, and stuffed it on his face. This was with his frame and his arms in the way which as I said before were well over ring height and probably black-square line height. No foul called, but really, woah.

Both players were at the peak of their jumps, I don't think any of us believed what happened except for maybe Brad Hill.

Reply #36494 | Report this post

Boti  
Years ago

Paul Rees

Reply #36506 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

True about adam "nugget" campbell. Was dunking in u/14's

Reply #36508 | Report this post

Bottles  
Years ago

lampshire

Any females got hops?

Reply #36509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No females that i know of... but... Joseph Mencel!! That boy has been workin on his jump.. He got the biggest hops i know of..!

Reply #36550 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

yeh joe dunked on me left handed in open's trainin 2 years back

Reply #36557 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

World Junior High Jump champ and South Aussie decathlete Jagan Hames. Now there's a guy that could jump - and do everything else. PB in the high jump of 2.30m and PB in the long jump of 7.83m.

Not quite sure what his dunks were like - never saw him play some ball. But I imagine very good!!!

Reply #38059 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Went to school with matty deegan and was at the same v-ball club as Aden, they were two of the biggest hoppers i have ever seen! Tutts on the v-ball court was just incredible, he played taller than just about anyone he was up against

Reply #45156 | Report this post

Years ago

MATTY DECURE REPRESENT, GO DC!

Reply #45634 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

The dunk that I did over Grant Yates at the old courts on Rundle St.

Tomahawk dunk over Yates. Classic.

Reply #59165 | Report this post

Fish  
Years ago

I work with matty deegan at the moment, heard he had a big leap but never thought it was as big as everyone is sayin here! hes a champ tho and unfortunatly didnt make it into the adelaide side this season and is currently takin a well deserved break from soccer

Reply #59180 | Report this post

mrtwister  
Years ago

Don't know if i'm getting old but i can't even remember the courtsd at Rundle Street. Any more info to jog my memory?

Reply #81278 | Report this post

MJ  
Years ago

'Dr. UFO' for all the old timers out there.

Reply #81283 | Report this post

Seebohm  
Years ago

There used to be about 6 or 8 half size basketball courts on Rundle Street in the city. Just down from the Austral if I remember correctly. I played there a few times back in 1992/1993.

Must have missed that Tomahawk over Yates but some of Grant's dunks were quite impressive.

Reply #83964 | Report this post

Seebohm  
Years ago

There used to be about 6 or 8 half size basketball courts on Rundle Street in the city. Just down from the Austral if I remember correctly. I played there a few times back in 1992/1993.

Must have missed that Tomahawk over Yates but some of Grant's dunks were quite impressive.

Reply #83965 | Report this post

Seebohm  
Years ago

Reply #83967 | Report this post

Scotty  
Years ago

Yeah...I remember Yates and the old courts on Rundle St. I played there as well in 1992. Wow...I wish they were still there.

What about Chris 'The Hulk' Blakemore. Average dunker but what a huge man. Incredible size for his age. Pity he never lived up to the expectations that people had of him.

Reply #96726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yates is a great call the guy had monster hops

didn't blakemore shatter a glass backboard at the Adelaide Uni gym years ago

Reply #96745 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

I still have vivid memories of Ron Nunnerly dunking in a game for South in one of his last seasons .....

Reply #96807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any girls out there??

My money would have to be on Jo Hill - she just had an amazing ability to elevate!

Reply #96835 | Report this post

Curly  
Years ago

BLAKEMORE....huge man. Should have been a WWE wrestler...Get him on the roids and he would've been unstoppable...

Grant Yates....I remember....

Jagan Hames I remember...I did athletics and he was an excellent athlete.....

Too bad we gotta get old......

Reply #122206 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

About this adam campell guy, getting your head at ring level is extremely hard for people in the NBA!! and you're telling me an 11 year old who isnt even 6 foot tall did it? I'll seriously pay the guy 20 bucks if this is true......

Reply #122327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frangers circa 2004

Reply #141107 | Report this post

Silly Sausage  
Years ago

Drew Havelberg from Willunga High School 1992. Champion Dunker......

Reply #151485 | Report this post

Silly Sausage  
Years ago

Whoops Andrew Havelberg from Willunga High School 1992. Champion Dunker......

Reply #151486 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

went to Christies with Jagan. Def mad hops, but he couldnt suss out the actual dunk thing...

DEVO! i was watching him just crying cos i wished i was him.

We did make sure he signed up for basketball every year.

Yatesy for his size best i seen.

Reply #151496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

frangers circa too much beer no doubt, he used to smash the ball against the back board then go up and cram it too hands

Reply #151508 | Report this post

Big Donger  
Years ago

I thought Scott Ninnis was a pretty good leaper.

Blakemore 'The Hulk' couldn't leap but it's hard to get up there when you weigh about 115kg. Still I saw him jam down a couple of two handed dunks.

I think Yates for his size was excellent....

WTF is Andrew Havelberg??????

Reply #151909 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Ok Ok I was only kidding about my tomahawk dunk over Yates. I couldn't even tomahawk dunk a 9ft ring. Unfortunately I wasn't born with a spring in my step.

Matty Deegan for me.....Crazy athlete

Reply #151911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Billy Fikes

Reply #151918 | Report this post

Big Donger  
Years ago

Jo Hill....Can she dunk??

I'm yet to see a girl slam it down with some authority. Actually I've never seen a girl dunk period.

I saw Tracey Braithwaite run up without a ball and lightly touch the ring with her index finger. This was way back though in 1994.

Unfortunately girls don't seem to have a lot of power in their legs. I might do a search on Youtube for girls dunking. There must be girls in the WNBA who can dunk.

Reply #154306 | Report this post

Works  
Years ago

At the reigonal AIS camp a 14 year old girls dunked a volleyball easily.

Reply #154310 | Report this post

Big Donger  
Years ago

There are some girls posted on Youtube who can dunk. One of them I saw looked legitimate. There's a video on there of a girl doing a few dunks in front of her other team mates. The ring looks 10ft.

I'd suggest looking at Kadour Ziani on Youtube. he's not South Australian but he has got some very impressive moves and apparently his best recorded vertical leap was around the mid 50 inch range.

Reply #158917 | Report this post

Hot Knob  
Years ago

I can dunk. I like to dunk over people bigger than me. Makes me feel like a real man.

Reply #158918 | Report this post

Charlie  
Years ago

I can dunk on all you clowns put together. You could all stand on each other's shoulders and I would still slam it down. You guys are week!!!

Reply #162401 | Report this post

Charlie  
Years ago

Yeah...I like to hang around primary schools where the ring is sometimes about 9 1/4 feet high. And then I just slam the shit out of it and impress all the kids.

I also tell 'em that I used to play in the NBA but due to a knee injury I can't compete at that level anymore. I tell 'em that I decided to come to Australia instead and will be playing in the NBL next season.

Makes me laugh my ass of when they believe me. Nothing like impressing 10 year olds. Damn I'm good.

Reply #162402 | Report this post

Cunning Linguist  
Years ago

Yeah it's great hanging around primary schools and dunking on all the kids. Nothing better....

Reply #191953 | Report this post

Rager  
Years ago

I have the biggest hops in Radelaide. 55 inch vertical - beat that. These other mugs mentioned above, who the hell are they? Yates, Blakemore, Ninnis etc. Old timers or what. Get with new gen you old bastards...

Later....

Reply #196058 | Report this post

Iceman  
Years ago

Stuff the new gen. They're just a bunch of lazy slobs who have a bad work ethic. You would be lucky to have a 5.5 inch vertical Rager.

To the arseholes who hang around primary schools dunking on children - you're a bunch of wankers. Why don't you hang around some courts where you are likely to run into some real ball players and a 10 ft ring asswipes?

Reply #196063 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Iceman - the dude who used to do that more than anyone in the early 90s' was Paul Rogers. He would hang around out the front of St bernards playing "rafter" basketball against 10 year old kids when he was 7 foot.

In the 3 years of playing basketball there I never saw him play a game - he would just hang out the front dunking on the rafters

Reply #196067 | Report this post

Big Mama  
Years ago

C'mon boys...Who has got the biggest leap in Adelaide, or SA, at the moment?

Who huh Who?

Reply #245611 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

I had never read this post but it was quite interesting to go through some of those names and see how a lot of them turned to football.
Ben Stokes- played football with him at Encounter Bay and is currently playing at Seaton. Was prospected as a potential AFL star but when the AFL recruiters came over to watch him play, he never turned up! Has a very large leap on him.
Jagen Hames- Is currently the ruckman down at Victor Harbour
Josh Coulter- Currently playing football for Mypolonga out in the River Murray Football League.

Reply #245617 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754