Quagmire
Years ago

Tigers- a necessary evil?

I am no fan of the tigers, nor any team outside of the 36ers to be honest, but maybe we need to accept that in order for the L to be a success, having strong sides in Melbourne is a necessary reality?

The NBL tried to set up in Sydney but it just didn't work. Maybe Melbourne is the plan B we need to be viable.

We can all agree that the situation of the L is awful, as a result we may have to follow Chucks lead and turn a blind eye to the obvious salary cap breaches and just build a bridge, get over it and support the sixers best we can?

Topic #17255 | Report this topic

Every good hero needs a villain.

The dirty cheating Tigers give the league a common enemy to despise.

It's like Shane Heal- I hate him with an absolute passion, but I'll be really sad when he retires.
The irony is that by all accounts he's a top bloke off the court...

Reply #203324 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

The Melbourne Tigers contribute nothing to the league as a whole, IMHO.

They spend nothing on marketing or promotion of their club, let alone the sport.

Their owner bullies his way around the NBL and has actively pursued the downfall of other clubs as well as playing MINE MINE MINE with anything that MAY help maintain another presence in Melbourne that would actually do something for the sport in general. And strangely add to his ability to make money?!?!?!?

A strong team in Melbourne is definitely vital (far more vital than sydney ever was...HELLO NBL!)....but it doesn't have to be the Tigers.

Reply #203328 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Tigers are sure setting themselves up for the evil tag aren't they.

Would be awesome to send Maher out on a big win, either against the Tigers or against the guy who never gave Maher a shot at internationnal level- Boy Goorj...

Maybe we beat both in finals campaigns...

Reply #203329 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Sorry Quagmire unless Tigers get at the least a 8-10k stadium having the best team in the world wont help NBL at all even if NBL or Tigers were going to market their super team which neither have done because the Melb. sports mad fan cant even go to matches and this year there will be so bl--dy few games on TV. So he is only doing it for his own ego and poss. lessening crowds for lower teams home games if they know their team is going to get thrashed. So no this massive breach of salary cap and histerical points fiasco will hurt the NBL and clubs that have already recvd a battering . Sorry Dicko your stadium isnt much bigger mate. In the sporting capital of Aust. why cant you share a stadium or something and get the crowds back again.

Reply #203339 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Sorry Dicko your stadium isnt much bigger mate."

Huh?

Hisense Arena (formerly Vodafone) holds 10,500 people.

We ahve PLENTY of capacity....we jsut need the bums on seats.

Reply #203342 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Dicko sorry mate should keep up with it all .
Why doesnt the other mob join you there.
Whilst hard to give support to any Goorg. team Hope do well and show them how to fill a 10 k stadium

Reply #203349 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

They only fill the 2500 seat stadium for derbies.... They're not focusing on growing. McPeake is happy where they are.

Reply #203352 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Sorry, that's 3500

Reply #203356 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

It's sad that a glorified painter who somehow picked up the contract to paint all government housing in Victoria should be in control of one of the top basketball clubs in Australia (at least at the NBL level). Just listening to his foul mouth when he sits on the Tigers bench at The Dome (and officials do nothing) is pathetic. The fact that the other owners in the NBL selected him as their representative with BA shows that they are either scared of his ?power or don't care who represents them. IMO McPeake has no redeeming values. The Tigers (as previously noted) do not draw large crowds to their home venue and you therefore have to wonder if the Tigers would actually survive without his money. It's worth noting that Tigers were not one of the original teams in the NBL (most teams didn't want them), and you have to wonder with this latest fiasco with the Salary Cap and the Points whether those teams now regret ever letting them in.

Reply #203368 | Report this post

Bradfan  
Years ago

DICKO - an unnecessary evil!!!!!!
And by the way, Cowan isn't exactly squeaky clean, he just looks better! Cowan hasn't earned his money by being nice to people. In fact, he has treated people extremely badly along his route to wealth. As a Kings fan from way back, I don't love the Tigers either, but there's no way you would get me to follow a team run by Cowan either. The Dragons have handed over a fair bit of $$ in brown paper bags over the past couple of years. According to Wotho's friends here in Sydney, they are paying him almost half a salary cap - it's just in a lot of little brown paper bags. So...start looking at your own team as well!!

Reply #203375 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

To quote a well known, wealthy gentleman who used to own a well known basketball team;

"Sure, I'm rorting the salary cap. All you got to do is work out how I'm doing it."

Reply #203399 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Bradfan,

I'm sorry...I must have missed the part where I mentioned the salary cap or when this topic has anything to do with the dragons.

Does the TOPIC have any interest to you at all?

Reply #203421 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Both teams are f.ing cheats.
They way overpay their players and then will be the first to whinge when the league falls apart (which will probably be a GOOD thing until it's revamped) when they are the very players that heavily contribute to it being bled dry- especially in times of the league being at it's worst.
I'm not a fan of either team, but I absolutely hate the Tigers and have done so pretty much since Gaze left and took all the class out of that ball club with him- they have gradually become the most arrogant and obnoxious NBL club in the league.
Their players are dickheads and so are their management and owner who have the blatant cheek to pick fights with opposition home crowds when they travel the country while doing the wrong thing.
I know that Brisbane fans are quietly biding their time to give them an arse kicking when they re-enter the League after the way Anstey and others behaved towards the crowd in their last ever game.

Reply #203460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dicko....

so the choices seem to be...

A Play in a small relatively cheap venue and make money

B Play in a huge and expensive venue where you lose money each time you play there

So explain again why the Tigers should move to a bigger venue?

Reply #203478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:46 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754