LC
Years ago

Sydney Kings to be Resurrected

FoxSports are running with a story that former Sydney Kings owner Mike Wrublewksi and former import Dwayne McClain are joining forces to resurrected the defunct 'Violet Crumbles' empire in the new 'Elite' competition next season.

Link: http://linky.com.au/5z04a

Should the Kinds be resurrected or should they create a new franchise from scratch?
I reckon they should wipe the slate clean, fold the West Sydney Razor...err Spirit and come up with a brand new team and get it going.

Topic #17400 | Report this topic

Nino  
Years ago

This is great news. I am all for the original Sydney Kings name and logo being reinstalled. I like the idea of the D-Train, surely the most loved of all Kings imports being in the mix aswell!

Reply #204672 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LC, no, they should definitely bring back the Kings brand - same with the Bullets. Good strong brands that would suit an elite league.

Reply #204686 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Brisbane I agree with - bring them back as it was strong in the local Brisbane market as well as nationally.
I would argue that the Kings brand is better known outside of Sydney that it is within it. In any case it is out of my hands.

Reply #204687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, why do think the Kings would suit an elite league? They draw dismal crowds which are getting worse every year even though the team is always in championship contention. Could get EVEN uglier if they start losing. Sydney don't give a stuff about basketball and I think a new team, with serious and aggressive promotion is what's required to grab Sydneysiders attention and get them back in to basketball. Yes, the brand is well known outside of Sydney, but nobody goes to their games.

Reply #204691 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Sydney Basketball is ruined this season, because of:

-A gay name like Spirit. WTF?
-Lack of ability in the team. Poor roster if you ask me. Great job to snare an import like LOW, who was an NBA prospect, but what bout the others. One import doesn't make a team.
-Poor crowd support due to poor advertising of the team. Nobody want's to go watch the Spirit play. They would think they were going to watch tidliwinks(sp.?)

For all those reasons above the Sydney Spirit should be cut. And no team shall ever exist in Sydney again. They tried an inner city team, the KINGS, who got no attention and limited crowd levels. Then, they tried it out west, The RAZORBACKS, and that failed like you wouldnt believe. The Razorbacks werent winning and were getting crowds of 1500 to their games on a good night.
SYDNEY DOESN'T DESERVE A TEAM. THEY HAD THEIR CHANCES AND SCREWED UP BIGTIME.

Reply #204762 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

You're absolutely right. Having a team in the biggest market in the country is stupid.....

Reply #204780 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Perhaps the venue was too expensive for them. Also parking costs a fortune in Sydney CBD. A change of venue may have brought a bit more success. They should address this if any plans are made to bring back the Kings.

Reply #204793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how did adelaide and perth go in the rugby league this year?

Reply #204814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wtf anon?

Reply #204827 | Report this post

Hoopla  
Years ago

@204814 - a bad point poorly made.

There's no relation whatsoever between the NBL and the NRL. Different sports with different markets.

Reply #204839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they didnt win any games because there are no RL teams in those markets.

One could say that what is perceived to be the second largest football code in Australia would be crazy not to have a team in 2 of Austalia's largest cities.

However the market isnt there, the Melbourne Storm barely get by.

The reality is that basketball has never been strong at any level in NSW and particularly Sydney, it was always stronger in Victoria, SA.

The percentage of people who actually attend sporting events in Sydney as a per capita I would guess would be rather low. League has never drawn the crowds that Melbourne would get to the AFL. It is a different market, transport, history and culture all come into it. Yes the corporate market is bigger, however in Sydney bball has to compete with many more Rugby League teams, Swans, Rugby Union, and a strong Soccer base. The managers who spend the money at the corporate level are only going to spend money on sports that they have an afinity for and also in many cases events that their clients would like to attend.

The whole TV game coverage needs to change going forward, Bball needs to access local regional stations as well as using the new digital bandwidths that are now seeking content. There are also opportunities for bball to enter the digital online streaming stakes, especially when given that the market is traditional a younger one than other sports. So what has happened in the past with say with Fox, and advertisenent coverage doesnt mean that is going to continue in the future.

Townsville, Cairns, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne x 2, should be able to support a team.

There are questions marks over the sustainabiliity in markets such as Brisbane, Sydney, Wollongong, and also NZ. There is a reason teams have failed or struggled in those areas, we shouldnt just assume that a team out of Brisbane or Sydney is required to have a succesful league.

So Twenty Four, what you say could actually make some sense

Reply #204844 | Report this post

Anon, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with basketball crowds in Brisbane.
Anyone who regularly attended games knows the empty seats were from greedy Groves allocating half the stadium seats to ABC Learning staff who rarely put bums on seats while some fans had to sit in nosebleed C Reserve seats.
Don't insist on believing old wives tales from an opinion based on 1% fact and 99% fiction- it makes you look ignorant.

Reply #204848 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

actually on the rugby, the Rams had a decent supporter base and drew decent crowds to break even and make a profit, and that was using the expensive adelaide oval, and then they moved to hindmarsh for less. the NRL decided to not take them in at the time of the merge of the super league and nrl.

and western force draw 15,000 - 20,000 to a game.

so that points mute.

sydney as much as i hate to say it MUST have a team but i strongly believe it needs to be located outside the CBD.

and the bullets are a no brainer they are a lock to return.

Reply #204856 | Report this post

Depends on if we can raise a crapload of money in 2 months or not- that's the direction the Bullets got from the NBL on Thursday night.
It needs to satisfy the new criteria for the 'new' League... scary stuff.

Reply #204865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no comment was made about basketball crowds in Brisbane. It was well know that there were heaps of give aways.

Brisbane problem is average stadium, limited corporate support, and if there are going to have a 10 team comp is it viable to have both a gold coast and brisbane team. The bullets were succesful over the past few years on the court, but obviously failed off the court.

The fractured local association support in brisbane, especially between districts and brisbane doesnt help matters.

The bullets hey day was when the Lions didnt exist, maybe not even the Broncos. It is a tough market now. Note that the Gold Coast market is going to get tougher as well with the AFL and soccer moving in.

The bullets or Kings shouldnt be bought back in for sentimental reason. Really to have a sustainable team the stadium probably needs to be 5000 seater.

Reply #204866 | Report this post

Thanks for posting more crap.
Clearly, asking you to get your facts straight on a city/ club you know nothing about is too much to ask.

Reply #204868 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754