Isaac
Years ago

Can anyone beat the Celtics or Lakers?

Any time I'm at the Centrebet site seeing how they rate our NBL teams, I check in at their NBA odds for movement. They haven't changed in weeks now.

The Celtics are at $4.00, the Lakers at $4.25 and then there's a large gap before the Pistons and Spurs at $11, Rockets at $13, Hornets at $14.

Can any of those $10+ teams challenge the two revived powerhouses?

The Spurs have a pretty deep team and while they did go down 4-1 to the Lakers, two of those losses were by less than five points.

On the other hand, Boston were quite dominant and the Lakers have Bynum returning.

Could the Spurs (or one of those other teams) be a serious challenger this season?

Topic #17750 | Report this topic

Run TMC  
Years ago

I like the Hornets. They've gone deep into the playoffs now so they know what it is all about and I can only see them getting better. Plus they have added James Posey. Getting past the Lakers is obviously going to be tough tho.

In the East I think that Orlando or Philly could challenge Detroit and Boston this year although Orlando has a very suspect backcourt and Philly SHOULD improve with Brand.

I'm not sure how Boston will go and would steer well clear of them at $4. They've lost Posey who was crucial and Ray Ray has shown he is losing speed. Plus how will KG and Pierce play now that they have that ring they so desperately wanted?

Reply #208466 | Report this post

Squizzy  
Years ago

Issac,

For mine I think that Utah at $17 are attractive odds, Bulls look a crazy bet at $26 - should be closer to 50-1.
Celtics & Lakers odds are so "skinny" that it hardly appears a worthwhile bet.

Reply #208468 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I like the Knicks chances. My team can return.

Go Knicks!

Its ok if I dream

Reply #208478 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I think Boston will repeat this year but would wait until the odds go out a bit.. I don't see them matching last seasons regular season win total and therefore see the odds blow out a bit. I think Boston's biggest challenge from the East might come from Philly.. a very athletic team that Boston can struggle with at times (see Atlanta last year) plus the addition of Brand, I am very surprised to see them at $41.

In the West the odds of the Spurs and Rockets are pretty good, the Spurs because you can't discount them, and the Rockets IF they manage to stay healthy they have a very deep team who could trouble the Lakers.

Reply #208479 | Report this post

ronnymac  
Years ago

Rockets have argueably the deepest and the best defensive team in basketball.

Alston
McGrady
Artest
Scola
Ming

Bench
Arron brooks
Brent barry
Steve francis
Carl landry
Shane battier
Chuck hayes
Joe dorsey
Moutombo will re=sign soon

Thats deep as they come.

Reply #208489 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Celtics have to be strong favourites.

Lakers worst enemy is themselves. The issues with Bynum and Gasol sharing the court, and Odom's role within the team have overshadowed a glaring weakness at the point. With the west opponents boasting three top PG's in Paul, Williams and Parker, the lakers may have their hands full if Fish shows age signs or snaps a hamstring. Farmer is not the player many are claiming him to be.

If i'm a western conf manager, i'm sending a secret e-mail to all other coaches asking them to play Kobe one on one all year, make him shoot everytime. Wear him down and annoy his team-mates.

I like the Jazz playing AK off the bench, it adds tremendous depth to the team. But the NBA champ is usually the best defensive side, so look for the Hornets and Jazz to get close- but no cigar.

Spurs are awesome with Parker and the walking Poo, but it all rests on the sketchy ankles of Manu.
Any word on Big Shot having another year?

Mavs would be an awesome earner as a rough bet.
Great coaching pick-up and Kidd wants it real bad. Dirk is still a former MVP who at 30 should be hitting his prime. Howard with a lot to prove also.

Cleveland could go all the way- just depends on the King. Pistons struggle to stop him, Celts did the job better than most and prob will again. Mo Williams is a below average NBA pg and not the big addition all seem to think he is.

Phi should be real good, great coach, great players at every spot. Potential to be top 3 defensive outfit so post season beckons.

Same for the Pistons- the new coach worries me but he may be what they need... just can't imagine a rookie coach going all the way first yr on the job... even with such an accomplished roster.

Reply #208493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TAB odds... Lakers $4.00, Celtics $5.00.

Get on Boston, back to back!

Reply #208497 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

I like the look of Philly a lot... Good mix of experience and the key guys (Iggy, Miller, Williams) have played together a while - Brand will slot in fine (doesn`t need much of a feeling out period given teh fact he has moved around and given the way he plays)... Beyong those four guys they have some real talent in Young, Speights, Rush... Dalembert, Ivey, Evans, Ratliff (if the sticky tape holds) give them a sold reserve front line... Should be a fun team to watch as well - and super deep... If the pieces fall in place they are a dark horse in the East...

I really wonder what happens with Sammy - he might be the odd man out???...

Reply #208507 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

does this mean the window has closed on Phoenix they didnt even get a mention you would think a team with 2 time M.V.P steve nash, Stoudimire and Shaq would make some noise for sure

Reply #208529 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I like the Cavs in the East perhaps. A couple of additions and a full season out of Verajao, Wallace et al might push them a bit closer. I forget his name but the little guard with all the tats looks like he could be a surprise packet too, and Gibson can shoot the lights out. I think they have a very, very well balanced team and Mike Brown (is that his name) coached teams always play tough D.

Can't disagree that the Hornets will be right there. CP3 will just keep getting better.

Houston definitely look a chance of Yao can stay healthy. That is a big IF.

And as a dark horse I like Portland, although it might be a year or 2 too early for them. Oden looks like he is going to be a beast, Roy as a star and they have a great supporting cast.

Reply #208544 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I don't think Phoenix is gonna be a player this year. Shaq will play 60 games tops, Hill will continue to struggle playing a role that is just not his, he needs the rock to create shots, not receive it when Nash and Amare run pick and rolls. Hill can't shoot...

Not much hype about the Rockets, i actually think they could be really really good. I would take Yao out of the offence and have him receive open passes instead of creating through him. Allow him to focus on defending the paint. T-Mac and Ron, with Rafer, they have all the scoring options they need.

Get Yao schooled in the art of the outlet pass, have a line-up of Rafer, T-mac, Ron, Bat and Yao. Yao gets the boards, others run. At 7'6 surely he can send some awesome outlets...

Reply #208567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Portland Trailblazers People.. RIP CITY IS BACK BABY.. its been a long wait for us blazer fans but now watch us tear the NBA a new one ;) can people say DYNASTY..

Reply #208571 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Easy there big guy. Oden has yet to play an entire season at any level without a major injury.

Roy is a top class player, Aldridge is solid, not great. Outlaw is a gunner with little care for D.

You guys will be good this season, great the next. But a Dynasty you will never be.

Reply #208580 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Speaking of Portland... Can`t forget this guy...

Mr Fernandez.

Rudy should be strong from the get-go... Could be a dark horse for the 6th man award methinks... Anyone who saw what he did in the final in Beijing will know he is for real.

Reply #208581 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:14 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754