Isaac
Years ago

Is it time to throw Burdon in there?

On Saturday night, after the 36ers made their third quarter run and entered the fourth quarter, I thought we missed someone like Ng or Copeland. Last year, they often came on to stick some long-range daggers when the game swung against us.

On Sunday, we'll be missing Maher again and Winitana too. Is it worth trying Burdon in there to see if he can replicate what those shooters brought us last season?

Topic #17822 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes. I would think so. I've only seen him play one minute a month. But he always throws a three.

Reply #209059 | Report this post

Crooked  
Years ago

Burdon should be thrown in there for some substantial minutes. He has shown in the past what he can do and can be relied on to hit a three.
Ninnis should have realised that Bruce was misfiring and Burdon should have got some action. Ninnis seems to be much like Phil where he is a bit tentative to make a drastic change.
Versus the Spirit, Burdon deserves some minutes.

Reply #209071 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

i like eze as much as the next guy but he is not the answer to our problems. i think he deserves a few minutes here and there but still feel he is to small and skinny to really contribute. if only kersten could share some of his excees weight!!!!

Reply #209073 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!

The Burd-man is about the only dude who can shoot 3's.

I repeat my call for more 3's. So far we have shot:

12/27
6/19
7/25
5/19
4/24
10/27

Ave 7.1/23.3

Top 5 teams: 10.0/28.6 average per game
Bottom 5 ts: 7.6/22.6 average per game

We seem reluctant to:
1. Put the ball up for the 3.
2. Get it in the bucket!

Luke should be able to out-rebound anyone in the league and Jacob is one of the best rebounders out. No reason why we shouldn't be swinging the ball like the Breakers and then put the shot up. Luke, Balls and Jacob to get the OR's and score off of the OR's. (we are 2nd in ORs)

The other area letting us down is TO's.
Top 5 teams: 15.5, bottom 16.0, us 16.7 (2nd worst)

We are trying to do too much with the ball! Keep it simple boys. Leading culprits are Bruce, Tyndale, Hill, Schench.

Memo to "They call me" Bruce:
You are at a different skill level than the rest of the team. Most of your turnovers are bad passes because your team-mates aren't expecting it.

Memo to Scotty:
Please give the Burdman a run!

Reply #209078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my opinion, Kersten is a better player than Burdon.
Sure give Burdon some minutes to shoot some 3s but Kersten should get more minutes overall!

Reply #209083 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Isaac:
"On Saturday night, after the 36ers made their third quarter run and entered the fourth quarter, I thought we missed someone like Ng or COPELAND. Last year, they often came on to stick some long-range daggers when the game swung against us."

Was thinking the exact same thing on the way home.

Anyone thinking Eze's only a 3 point shooter is selling him short. He's got 'ball smarts way beyond his years, distributes nicely, & has an uncanny eye for picking off passes. He could've rested a player on Saturday, which would've been handy. Strangely, we were the home team, & only 8 players got a run.

Reply #209091 | Report this post

Bretts the man  
Years ago

why not bring back Darren Ng. Knights able to return why cant the ninja. With Schens there a lots of open looks get someone we know can do it.
Convince him then work out $ and points .
Maybe Winitana for Ng or if have to go ewithout a import with Ng and a bigger Fwd eg Mottram or someone better out of USA college or floating around to replace Tyndale and Winitana. We need a shooting guard
if Brett cant play or do minutes. Burdon is not the answer from what I can see

Reply #209093 | Report this post

Bretts the man  
Years ago

Bad previous post I am talking season others talking Sun game shouldnt post late at night

Reply #209100 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

BTM, you're confusing me. You want to bring back players from last season, to make the team better?
; )

Reply #209101 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah we could've thrown him in to hit a 3 or 2 but what about the other end? Perth have one of the strongest point guards in Hinson and there is no way Eze could have stopped him getting to the hole!

Reply #209108 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I know that last year Eze hit his limit of games he could play. Because of this status, he was only allowed so suit so many games, and once he played those {Development players can only play 4 or so games} he could not play any more without getting upgraded. {if an upgrade was at all possible not sure}

I suspect this year is ditto also. He has played one game already, so they may be rationing his games for later in the year when a PG is injured for instance.

I have seen him play some great D while shooting the lights out at the other end, so its a shame if his opportunities are being limited because of off court issues.

Reply #209124 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, on Sunday, you could hide him on Martin (hardly a prolific scorer) if you thought his defense was likely to be an issue.

Ballinger Fan, we're about to be without two shooting guards and Burdon can shoot. No point saving someone for the season if it means digging a deeper hole now. If we're without a PG down the track, put Kersten in.

Reply #209127 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Ballinger fan, I was under the impression that after they exceed the 5 games they are to be upgraded, but these 5 games are only if Eze was taken on a road trip with the team. I'm under the impression suiting up at home and playing doesn't count towards this.

Reply #209140 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Two points firstly dd fan well mate surely you are not telling me that Ng would not have got most of those open shots that were available on sat night due to Schens domination under ring. Do you forget some of the scoring games he had when Brett was out last year.
He certainly could put up outside shots much better than Paulo and Tyndale.
In reference to replacing Shooting guard you guys are putting in Paulo and to this date I have not seen any indication this guy has actually a shot . granted I did not see pre season games but they are different.
Whilst I dont see him as a great defender we will miss another option on our defence end due to his workload.

Reply #209146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah Bizzy i think your right there with the road trips, i stand to be corrected.

yes Isaac, Eze can play either guard spot, so he is ideal for what they need Sunday. Scottys offence has "a" guard sweeping/swinging right through from wing to wing: if the cutter can be "slowed" the offence can stagnate, but Eze is a slick cutter, and he has the fitness to cut for extended periods, catch the ball again and do whatever...

I am sure though, they are continuing the regig of the offence this week. Introducing to the offence Luke option1, Luke option2, Luke option3 etc etc.
36ers offence in the past has been too much obout "shooting guard play", time to welcome in the new era.

Reply #209147 | Report this post

Years ago

Can we just agree on one thing...

Lets not put Eze in the "just a 3 point shooter" group.

This guy has amazing ability at both ends of the floor, and in my eyes, at his age is a far better all around player than Ng and is closing in on Brad Hill also.

Eze plays D, makes the extra pass, knocks shots.

What more does a young guy have to do to get some minutes in a losing team?

Reply #209150 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Annon #209147 is/was me.

Reply #209151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not try it - it certainly isn't working the way it is now!

Given the minutes Eze has had in the past has he really let the team down - I can't recall that happening.

Reply #209152 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Erik's "worst" output from long range has been 43% (6/14 3P) over nine games last season - very good for a rookie coming up from ABL level (Holmes' and Forman's stats from long range didn't pick up for a few years even). Roll the dice.

Reply #209153 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

BTM:
"Two points firstly dd fan well mate surely you are not telling me that Ng would not have got most of those open shots that were available on sat night due to Schens domination under ring."

Firstly, BTM, "Animal" was parked on the bench on Saturday night, not D'ng.
Secondly, Schensch dominated because he was the only one standing up. No disrespect to the guys, but he had a blinder.

BTM:
"Do you forget some of the scoring games he had when Brett was out last year."

Do you not remember that D'Ng was supposedly an embarrassment bringing the ball up, in not being able to handle any pressure D, & a defensive liability? That's not my call, but it was the prevailing opinion on this very site, last season.

BTM:
"He certainly could put up outside shots much better than Paulo and Tyndale".

I assume you mean Paora? Roll the "R", lemembel?
: )

BTM:
"In reference to replacing Shooting guard you guys are putting in Paulo and to this date I have not seen any indication this guy has actually a shot ."

FFS, he wasn't brought in as a scorer.

BTM:
"Whilst I dont see him as a great defender we will miss another option on our defence end due to his workload."

By "workload", are you insinuating, his religion?
Outside thought, let him know that on Sunday, the 36ers are on a mission, he'll be up for it. ; )

Reply #209184 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

As Isaac has stated, Burdon is a pure shooter. He can quite simply flat out shoot the ball. Yes, he might struggle on D, but until you give him some real minutes, how do you know?

I honestly think that behind Brett, he's our best shooter. I'd love to see him given a serious run of 10-15 mins on Sunday to see how he goes.

And Ballinger fan, is that really true that Dev players are limited to 4 games per season? If so, that sucks!

Reply #209270 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Burdon should have been given a run against Perth. In the 4th quarter when it was looking inevitable that we were going to lose it. What was there to lose by giving him 5 or 10 minutes? We will never know if it would have changed the outcome of the game. In 10 minutes he could quite easily have put up 5 or 6 3 point shots. I am really annoyed with Ninnis not doing that. It was a stupid mistake made even more stupid and reckless by the fact that he is entrusted in the head coaching role. And to add insult to injury, neither of his 2 assistants helped with that decision. Both assistance being heavily involved in the ABL and would have had a good knowledge of his ability as a shooter.

Reply #209283 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:52 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754