over rated - should not be there

Reply #216077 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

I think its a great appointment Congratulations GraF

Reply #216085 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Interesting selections paul - only 10 players - please explain? Screen over-rated - please explain?
3 diminutive guards (by international standards) in a group of 10 - please explain?

I'm interested in your justifications given half of your squad are WNBL-based. Perhaps Euros are over-rated as well?

Reply #216087 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Screen - good defensive player but cannot score at that level.
The half in the WNBL includes Harrower who could play anywhere. Poto is way better than the back up guards they took to the Olympics. I didn't say I think that Hurst should be there I think Graf will take her. She also needs to start blooding some younger players so if you extended the squad it would most likely be Summerton, Polo, Camino. She may even add people like Beattie and Bibby??

Reply #216092 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I don't dare ask about why Erin isn't there?

She was obviously out of favour at the Olympics

Reply #216095 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Erin is a VG player but unfortunately she is too slow to play the 1 spot and struggled with her handles under pressure at that level. She could move to the 2 spot but is too small defensively. I think she will probably still be in the initial squad.

Reply #216098 | Report this post

Years ago

paul you talking shite mate.

you don't get chased by one of the top wnba teams if you cant play.

all roads will lead to canberra from now.

erin out of favour at olympics because jan is mega conservative and erin breaking out a bit - doing her own thing - ie going stateside and doing photo shoots - bit of trash talk re detroit etc - all a bit much for jan who is very conscious of female role models and leadership. erin id fine though - not everyone would not be jans ideal player.

Reply #216118 | Report this post

--  
Years ago

Paul is right in saying that Graffie needs to start blooding some younger players, but at what cost?
I will be very interested in seeing how Graf approaches this particular issue.

I mean, its not like Stirling ever really had to face these issues; she knew approximately how long her coaching tenure would be, and it was limited enough that she did not need to place any (significant) emphasis on giving spots to younger players to ensure that she had a strong squad going 4-5 years into the future.
[Im not necessarily trying to say that she should have included more youth in her squads, just that the option was there and she opted for experience]

Well now that future is here, and while I predict that the Opals will remain a force to be reckoned with coming into the 2010 World Championships, what about after that? Jackson might hang around for another Olympics, from all sources she seems adamant that the Olympic Gold is the only goal she has yet to accomplish. Taylor might stick around for that long, but with a young family I don't think its very likely. Batkovic, Harrower, Snelly and Screen will all be long gone. Tully's retired already. Macca will be well past her prime, Grima and Randall may never have the athleticism to play international basketball. Where does that leave us?

So back around to my original question; do you think that Graffie will opt for youth and look to the future, or will she go with the tried and tested Opals veterans who may or may not ever have the talent to get over the USA?

Reply #216137 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Bishop and Grimma over Summerton??
Laura's European experience and results don't stack up??
Sorry. We don't need any more crazy. We're full up.

Reply #216148 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

I'm predicting we crash and burn.

Graf is all Xs and Os
Basketball is a simple game - keep it that way.

Reply #216150 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Paul LOL.
No room for Summerton? Had a standout Olympic campaign and is still early 20's...

I'm glad you didn't get annouced as the new coach!!!

Reply #216186 | Report this post

good wake up  
Years ago

Well done to Graf. Wont be an easy job though. Needing to take over form a quality coach who got some great results. How Graf deals with Jackson and some of the other bigger personalities (Batkovich esp) will make or break whether she can get them working as a team.Some interesting personalities in the works for after this Olympics also given much that has been said about the current crop of AIS athletes.

Still IMO good choice to go with something different than go with Maher, which we alreayd know what we would get.

Reply #216187 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Blue Collar I would have Laura but I am not sure that Graf will.

Reply #216202 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Is Graf going to leave the WNBL to focus on Opals like Jan did............or is she going to do it all like Goorjian??

Reply #216350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if she leaves, chris lucas to take over caps???

Reply #216352 | Report this post

good wake up  
Years ago

I know most in SA are Lucas lovers but surely that would just not be right. It is all a bit suss how he went over there to do that role, basically at his own expense, and I hope if Graf does leave that they do their due diligence and look around - then if Chris is best fine. Surely Sandy Tomley worth a look in as well. Has a much better relationship with players than Chris does from what I hear (yes it might just be rumour). But hopefully they look around to see what is available.

Reply #216359 | Report this post

Opals  
Years ago

Kathleen Macleod is the future of the Opals point guard spot

Reply #217360 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754