Isaac
Years ago

Slinger Blagoj Janev to join Spirit

Saw a mention on OzHoops that Blagoj Janev of the Singapore Slingers might be seeing out the season with the Sydney Spirit.

That'd give them a big to replace Julian Khazzouh.

Topic #18413 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

Great signing if it's true - he averaged 12&4 last year.

2 questions:

How did he get out of his Singapore contract?

Why did he get out of his Singapore contract for a team who can't pay him more than his local McDonalds?

Reply #216668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3. where did they get this info from?

Reply #216671 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Apparently was mentioned in the SMH.

Xztatik, born in Sydney so it's reasonable to assume that's his home town. Difference in salary may be negligible and he might view it as a more legitimate conference to make a case for a position with another team next year, or to go on to Europe, etc.

I think Singapore might be quite flexible with their contracts after the team left the NBL - he's not the first player to have left them.

Reply #216674 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

How did he get out of his Singapore contract?

Why did he get out of his Singapore contract for a team who can't pay him more than his local McDonalds?

- Ever hear of the credit crisis??? I'd say that outfits like the Slingers, in places like Singapore (where by all accounts no-one really gives a toss about sports) might have trouble in the future as going concerns (if not already)... The answer (as to why) may be quite simple... (Note i am only speculating here)...

I wouldn't be surprised if some NBA teams don't get in trouble as well (given the ridiculous fixed payrolls) as the situation snowballs...

Reply #216675 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Janev was also in Berveridge's WC winning team as well from memory

Reply #216676 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

He would be getting a bit of the money Rush was getting I would imagine

Reply #216678 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Weren't the Slinger NBL contracts recognised, & all playing obligations met by going through the motions of their Asian tournament? Not 100% sure, just putting it out there.

Reply #216680 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Slingers would've honoured them if players wished to stay with the team. However, I think they'd be only too happy to let players go if they wished.

Reply #216690 | Report this post

Zihuatanejo  
Years ago

I was in Singapore last Monday, and while in a taxi they announced on the radio that the Slingers had a record crowd of 10,000 + playing another Asian based team. Given that, the people I asked about the Slingers gave me blank looks...

Reply #216701 | Report this post

Moose 11  
Years ago

Maybe Janev put him self in this position ?

Reply #216708 | Report this post

On December 1 , Darren Ng wrote in his blog

" You may have noticed Janev was not there. He is back in Australia and heading off to Europe soon to play "

Seems like the euro contract Blajov was chasing has not come through and getting some games with the Spirit may now be better than no basketball.

Reply #216709 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Wouldn't the other players be pissed that money that could be going to them would be going to another player??

Reply #216725 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's probably the money that would've otherwise gone to Rush or Khazzouh. Who knows - maybe he can help them to the playoffs and that team-first thinking matters more to them?

Reply #216728 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

Surely Rush's money would be better off going back into the NewBL for next year rather than going to a lost cause like the Spirit.

Reply #216734 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

The league is far better off if the Spirit can be competitive for the rest of the season. Losing Rush would hurt & agree with Isaac that Blag'd probably be on the same money as the rest of the Spirit players.

Reply #216742 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:48 am, Tue 21 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754