HAHA
Years ago

Gen article about the new league- Chuck interview

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=717715

Topic #18699 | Report this topic

Loco  
Years ago

Interesting, cheers. 4 weeks for submissions seems a little short?

Reply #221199 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

From what I've heard, the League's thinking has been along the lines: the clubs that are serious about getting in have been in consultation pretty much since the review came out, so for them they believe 4 weeks is adequate for serious contenders who have been working pretty hard behind the scences since September to get as much finance put together and drum up support- ie- laying the groundwork getting people interested and hyped in the meantime.
Will be interesting to see what gets tweaked in the meantime.

Reply #221239 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Will there be any new players anyway. I think it will be Perth, Adelaide, Melb, Dragons, NZ, Townsville, Sth Qld (maybe Bris or GC based) and prob a Sydney team under Mike W. They would all have their stuff ready.
There is no way they will return to Canberra or Hobart. Maybe a second NZ team would be better financially but where are they going to get the players from.

Reply #221240 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

That's what I assumed as well when I read the 4 weeks bit. Good that apparently moving forward so decisively.

I really hope they nail that Foxtel deal, as well as sewing up something with a free to air digital sports channel. It's not the be-all-end-all saviour of the league, but it sure would help.

Reply #221277 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

The article indicates that Sydney still have not had any interested parties approach them, which is disappointing- I would've thought with there being some element of a clean slate next season that they'd get on board to do things their way, especially after seeing how little support has been drummed up for the poor Spirit and especially so if not for Bogut.

From what I've heard, NZ ball isn't much better off than us, so not sure what to think at this stage about the likelyhood of Wellington or another NZ team being able to tick all the boxes of requirements.
I tell you what though, Friday cannot come around fast enough- that will be the day that we can see exactly how much work and effort has been put in post-September-review.

Reply #221322 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:29 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754