EC
Years ago

Player's Points Value after Citizenship

I don' recall if this topic has been covered previously but there has been talk about Ballinger's pending citizenship. Does anyone know if citizenship immediately down grades your points value? I would hope it does as otherwise it would still be difficult to maintain that player as a 10 point player and then outlay another 20 points on 2 imports. If you had to cut out 1 import because of the points, then it wouldn't really be of any benefit to the club having one of its members becoming an Australian Citizen.

Topic #18949 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

A restricted player is auto-10 in their first season and then adjusted like every other player after that. Citizenship makes no difference. If you're a 20 and 10 player, you're a 20 and 10 player.

See New Zealand as the lone example of a team running all season with just one import because of the points cap. They more or less have Bruton or Penney as a second import.

Reply #224399 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

This topic raises two questions in my mind,

With Brett Maher retiring {who is the current 'owner' of the 36ers loyalty discount - only one player per club is eligible I believe } which other 36er player will become eligible to apply? Presumably If Adam has played enough games, he can apply for the loyalty points discount that Brett is freeing up through retirement.

Also, under the new league, will the points cap stay the same? There is talk that team salary caps will change, and the number of teams in the league will change, so what if any aspects of the points system might be overhauled? As players are going to be squeezed out of the league due to less available positions, you would hope they would at least revisit the points cap system.

Reply #224408 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ballinger Fan, it makes sense to me. With the new NBL and reduction in numbers of teams, you would think that the better players on a higher points value would be snapped up and thus increasing the quality of the league. If the points system remains, then clubs will be forced to let go of the better players and replace them with lower points value players. This would decrease the quality of the league whilst leaving good players unemployed.

Reply #224454 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Realistically they won't be able to make decisions about the points cap until they know how many teams they'll have. More teams means the cap would have to be reduced slightly. Fewer teams, and they'd have to put it up.

Reply #224461 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:27 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754