Isaac
Years ago

NBL hand Melbourne Tigers $10,000 fine

The National Basketball League (NBL) has fined the Melbourne Tigers $10,000 for comments made by officials and members of the team to media on Tuesday 10 March.

The Tigers were fined for breaching the NBL rules on Public Criticism after making comments with regards to the refereeing in the 2009 Grand Final series that were prejudicial to the best interests of the game.

"There are three distinct avenues available to teams within the rules if they wish to comment about the officiating," said Basketball Australia Chief Executive Scott Derwin. "The Tigers chose to ignore these and instead aired their complaints through the media, which is both improper and unacceptable."

"The fact that the Tigers chose to do this shortly after their head coach was penalised for a similar rule breach shows contempt for the rules," Derwin added. "As a result, we have elected to levy the maximum fine allowable under our rules for Public Criticism."

"Whilst we understand that the current Grand Final series is an emotional one that has stirred the passion of both our fans and our teams, we simply cannot allow clubs to blatantly disregard our rules. We have therefore dealt with this matter as expediently as possible to allow the focus to revert to what is a thrilling and memorable NBL championship series."

Topic #19299 | Report this topic

HAHA  
Years ago

Love it, love it, love it.

Reply #228658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now that the NBL is almost finished they are giving the Tigers the crap they deserve

Reply #228659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love it, Love it, F**KIN LOVE IT!

Reply #228660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that in the NRL teams and coaches are saying the NRL is in control of the League and it's their choice to penalise players/clubs as they see fit. This in response to Manly being fined $100k for off field issues.

I doubt Seamus will feel the same way.

Reply #228661 | Report this post

Alamo  
Years ago

They just wont pay it, why would you!?!

If i was slapped with a parking ticked this avo and my local council was closing up shop as of Sat morning, you have NO chance im paying that thing....

Derwin went and found his balls but wont get paid!

Reply #228662 | Report this post

slow death  
Years ago

If the NBL was serious about slapping the Tigers, Anstey would have been suspended like he should have been & the title would already be south of Melbourne.

Reply #228670 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I was going to ask, how about if they don't pay? "F the league we just won't play next year even if you were to HAVE a league" the league can't do nothing about it...

Also this just reminded me, Anstey's one game suspension is a even bigger joke if the league won't be there next season (even if something goes ahead it be under a new league anyway so there's going to be no suspension of any sort)

Reply #228677 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Personally I think it would be great if they decided they weren't going to pay- just gives the rest of us more ammunition as proof of their untouchable attitude.
I hope they make it into a big song and dance, and prove us right about them and their law unto themselves nature!

Reply #228705 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If they don't pay by today, then Disqualify them for GF!

Reply #228714 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

good shit, they need to pull their heads out of their arses and smell some fresh air.

Reply #228716 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:36 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754