Finals numbers in Junior Basketball

We do this every season, so I'll get the ball rolling.

Teams in finals:
Sturt 33
Forestville 28
North 25
Norwood 20
West 14
Southern 12
South 11
Woodville 9
Centrals 2
Eastern 2

Sorry I have only counted district clubs (+ Eastern) and have no clue as to how many teams each club entered.

A few observations:

Looks like a City South domination of junior basketball is imminent.

Big drops in numbers from Eastern.

South continue their slide into the basketball wilderness.

North holding, but not a great showing in the younger age groups.

A West-Woodville merger anyone?

Topic #1963 | Report this topic

Green Clover  
Years ago

Desperate,

Well done.

Would be intersting to see this for Div 1 / 2 teams only.

Reply #22240 | Report this post

Ok then.

Sturt 20
Forestville 15
North 14
Norwood 13
West 10
Woodville 7
Southern 7
South 4
Eastern 2
Centrals 1

Some more observations:

North as always do better in Div 1's and 2's than lower grades.

West and Woodville also have most of their finals teams from the higher divs. A merger looks even better. One super club on the west side could be very good.

South's poor results look even worse. Only 4 higher div teams in finals! Aaaarghhh.

Reply #22241 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Desperate,

Great stuff - obviously like me, you have too much spare time on your hands.

To break it down even further, here are the numbers of Div 1 teams only:

Sturt 8
Norwood 7
Forestville 7
North 7
Southern 6
West 5
Woodville 4
South 2
Mavs 1
Centrals 1

Reply #22242 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Ok going on Summer this is what could happen for State Champs.

12 Boys Sturt Southern South W/ville
12 Girls F/ville Sturt Southern Nwood
14 Boys West Norwood Sturt Eastern
14 Girls North Sturt Centrals Fville
16 Boys Sturt west North Norwood
16 Girls North Norwood West Fville
18 Boys Fville Norwood West Wood
18 Girls West North Fville Sturt
20 Men Woodville Forest North Southern
21 Women Norwood Sturt North Southern

Boys Champion Sturt Runner Up West
Girls Champion North Runner Up Sturt

Champion Sturt.

There could some big changes: ie Southern 18 Boys beat West on Friday so could make top four. 20s can change when senior players come in. I am assuming that Under 10s will not be involved again, but if they were this could change everything.Also improvement and being able to see everybody play will see who the better coaches are. Anybody disagree?

Reply #22251 | Report this post

..from purely a div 1 perspective.

- it seems State Champs this year could be a cracker. Sturt, Norwood, North, Forestville and Southern all roughly around the mark. Quite different from 2 years ago when Sturt I think romped home.

- congrats to Centrals for getting a team in the finals. The Lions cop a fair bit at times, but good to see this group contending.

- also well done to Woodville. Whilst older boys groups have been strong for a while, it's good to see a couple of younger (10 girls/12 boys) age groups in finals too. Definitely on the improve.

- Forestville have been on the up for a while now and are legit State Champ contenders.

- South, what can you say ...

Reply #22253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt u 18 div 1's are getting to new players from the country

might change these outcomes a bit

Reply #22287 | Report this post

sabre  
Years ago

Well actually they are not new, they have been playing with the team for 5 years now. With them Sturt are definitely the best team on paper, except the game isn't played on paper.

Reply #22289 | Report this post

larry emdur  
Years ago

definitely in the junior girls a west / woodville merger would be good.

west - 13 girls teams
woodies - 13 girls teams

= 26

forestville 24 girls teams
sturt 25 girls teams

how do they split money / fees fairly - easy - the original girls from woodville - their money goes to woodville

original girls fees - go to west

any new girls - their fees are split 50/50 between the two

keep the senior programmes as is ie seperate clubs as both clubs are feilding ok teams.

as a junior moves towards the senior program they can try out for the senior squad of their choice

if all of a sudden they end up with too many players or teams - ie enough for 8 teams in one age group they revert back to west / woodville split

this merger would be an interim step to strengthen court performances from north west 'burbs

have a look - wests older girls are good and woodies middle of the road

in the younger girls woodies have the strength and west missing in action

the only issue would be cost of some sort of combined uniform - green, yellow, red and black

they could share the training venues and pool coaching resources

the should create some combined team

Reply #22315 | Report this post

mountain man  
Years ago

how many did mavericks drop?

they appear to be on a bit of a junior slide - only 10 girls teams over summer

Reply #22322 | Report this post

sportybabe  
Years ago

mavericks junior teams hae been struggling for numberw but its only summer guys. a lot of the teams are only a few spots out of the finals its been a bad summer season. especially when they have jason bald as a coach with awesome teams eg18b1 and he ruins them!!!!!!!!!! mans have picked up some good coaches eg matt whittaker, jin rattus. wait for winter guys and u will be surprised. just get rid of jason Bald and Mike Williams

Reply #22359 | Report this post

goal tending  
Years ago

jason just needs to stop blaming everyone else when things go wrong - he shopuld take a leaf out of paul arnotts book

Reply #22433 | Report this post

random - yes, is good woodville u12 boys made it - pity about the spanner coaching them.

Reply #22434 | Report this post

Years ago

It seems South's div 1 juniors will all be available for presentation day after winter season......

Reply #22447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you are a jerk #22447

Reply #22477 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

re #22434 "random - yes, is good woodville u12 boys made it - pity about the spanner coaching them."

I will always respect someone who spends the time to coach a junior team, no matter how well they do it.

Do you coach?

Good luck to all teams in the finals!

Reply #22530 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Woodville u/12's coach must be doing OK if they made the finals

Reply #22533 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

absoloute performer. anyone who takes time to coach a team should not be put down. if you have a problem with the coach then talk to someone at your club.

Reply #22536 | Report this post

Ned Flanders  
Years ago

Who has the most teams in Grand Finals?

Looking at the State Champs it would look like both Sturt and North still have too much depth through the grades for Forestville just now with more teams finishing in top 2. While Norwood, Southern and West could all suprise with some wins to move into the top 3 if somebody falters above them.

Woodville will need to get more teams into finals to move into the second bracket. While South, Eastern and Centrals look to be getting further away from it rather than closer. I wonder if this will lead to players moving to the lower clubs or leaving them?

Reply #22707 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Continuing the analysis after Semi Finals:-

Teams in Grand Finals:
Sturt 23
Forestville 13
North 12
Norwood 10
West 5
South 5
Woodville 3
Southern 2
Eastern 1
Centrals 0

Torrens Valley 3
Northern Rattlers 3
Southern Vales 0

This was done in Excel so hopefully my formulas have provided the correct results.

Good luck to all teams in the Grand Finals!

Reply #22826 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Please note that the numbers above (post #22826) do not include U/20s and U/21s but do include U/10s.

Reply #22827 | Report this post

Hey Zeus  
Years ago

And for Div 1 only (without U/20's)

Sturt 7
Forestville 4
Norwood 3
North 2
West 2
South 1
Woodville 1
Southern 0
Eastern 0
Centrals 0

Does this mean that Sturt are looking good for State Champs?

Does this point to the new super club Southern not being that super?

Should Centrals and Eastern have any teams in div 1 or should they just play in div 2 until they are competitive? Like Northern and Torrens Valley.

Reply #22840 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I would say Sturt are looking exceptionally good for State Champs. I don't know all the ins and outs of each grade but based on what I know I say the following:

State Female Champ: North (by a whisker)
State Male Champ: Sturt
State Champion Club: Sturt
(Not inlcuding U/10s)

Give me some time to predice Reserves, but I have a funny feeling it will be:
Female Reserve Champ: Forestville
Male Reserve Champ: Sturt (landslide)
Reserve Champ Club: Sturt (landslide)

Reply #22862 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I dont think that you can draw a lot from summer. Some clubs had a lot harder draws (ie played tougher teams twice) than others.This affects where they finished and who they played in the crossovers. Sturt are looking ok but still a long way to go. I think it will be a lot diffrent over winter. Only time will tell.

Reply #22890 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:24 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754