Fill Smythe
Years ago

The Dome's Future?

If Mal is serious regarding the inability to guarentee $1M for the new NBL, and the team folds, what would happen to the Dome?
Would the proceeds of district & social b/ball be enough to pay the bills, or would it be up for sale to the highest bidder(eg. a church)?
If this were to happen, could district b/ball cope with 3 less courts?

Topic #19653 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Was talking with a friend about this tonight. We reckon 15 mates could chip in $200,000 and we'll buy it for ourselves. Seems too good an offer if we can snag it for $3 mill.

Reply #232802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it alright if I use it Tuesdays between 4 and 5 for a small fee Moses?

Reply #232804 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Mal - ' We're the 36ers that play at the dome . I can get investment for the team and the venue , if we know that we are playing in the new league and how many games etc. and could probably cover the guarantee. But at the moment I'm burning money and no one will invest until it is known what the new league is.'

Reply #232806 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

$3m wouldn't buy the Dome.

If the 36ers fell over, I think you could see the Dome sit there empty for a bit. Any income generated might not pay for management, maintenance, wear and tear, utilities, etc - not sure.

Reply #232810 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

What's the likely cost then, Isaac? I'm contacting mates. No corporate boxes though - we need somewhere to live.

Anonymous - Tuesday is craft night for the girlfriends and wives at the Dome (we have to keep them happy too) but I'm sure we can free up a court for ya. ;-)

Reply #232835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you have 200 grand to invest , put it into a going concern not a sport that can't find an audience

Reply #232839 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Basketball is a concern for those of us who love the game. I still can't believe that with so many of us who live and breathe the game, that it can be in so much trouble. I'm half joking about buying the Dome but only half joking.

Can't wait for Thursday night "Uno Night". Bring your friends. Basketball might be dead but 8000 people watching a Uno championship? Good times, good times. ;-)

Reply #232847 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Basketball is dead in Australia

Reply #232850 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

Perhaps we 're-locate' the 2 Pandas coming from China into the Dome. The tourism dollars would more than cover the cost. We could teach the pandas to supplement their bamboo diet with some locally bred rats from the Dome.
When a basketball game or Uno Championship is underway, we could herd the pandas onto court 3

(Mod: Permanent circus out on the lawn would make use of that space too...)

Reply #232853 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MW, resident pessimist, where've you been? ;)

Moses, more than what was originally paid plus more than what anyone would've paid for the upgrades since.

Reply #232855 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I'd think they may want to knock it down for real estate after a certain time period...be worth a bit that large area

Reply #232859 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kriss, that large area is kinda separate to the Dome itself. I think it's owned by the council, and the Dome land itself is just the asphalt parking area.

Reply #232862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$4m is roughly the figure I've been hearing for both. Not their prefered figure but thats the number they'd probably accept.

In paying that you'd also have to cover the losses that both the Dome and the 36ers would make annually.

From what I'm hearing the Dome loses between $250k & $500k a year currently, the 36ers between $1m - 1.5m.

You'd also have to supply the $1m bank guarantee.

And all NewNBL clubs are being forced to contribute to the costs of running the competition. As new owner of the 36ers you'd have to put up approx. $85,000 to set up the NewNBL office & pay for a GM (without having any input as to who that GM is or anyone else in the NewNBL office for that matter) and $50,000 for a central marketing campaign (which based on BA's latest attempt at a video I would consider $50k for zero return).

Then during the season you'd be expected to pay into the travel fund, pay for NewNBL League events such as the MVP Dinner (which didn't happen this year because the clubs wouldn't pay for it and BA certainly weren't going to) as well as all the other bits and pieces the clubs are forced to pay for themselves.

In return the NewNBL/BA would give you a spot in a compeititon which may have 9 teams, and may have anywhere from 11 - 16 home games and may have a TV deal with Fox which may or may not include live games against the gate. The NewNBL would take control of your brand, take control your website, take control of merchandising (but you'd get some return, what that is no one knows) and a percentage of gate takings from all Finals games.

Big risk for any businessman to buy into, full credit to those willing to lose millions of their hard earned $$s just to be involved in a second tier sporting league.

Reply #232865 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If it's so horrific, sell up and sit it out. At the right price there'd be people willing to give it a shot. $4m+ is not that right price when the valuation for the venue is $2m.

Reply #232871 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'$4m+ is not that right price when the valuation for the venue is $2m.'

That includes the 36ers.

Reply #232872 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The 36ers are not worth anywhere near $2m.

Reply #232873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The valuation of the venue was not $2m. No idea where that figure comes from.

Reply #232880 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Seriously if Adelaide can't enter a side then Basketball in Australia is in big trouble

Reply #232954 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

"Basketball is dead in Australia"
Told ya so

Reply #235085 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If by basketball, you only mean the NBL (and not U10 through to ABL, SEABL, QABL, WNBL and international games) and only the NBL as we've expected it to be. I think the NBL is currently knocking on the coffin trying to get out though!

Reply #235090 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Yeah NBL for now but what is this going to do for kids growing up choosing a sport at a young age when there is no national league? Will be interesting to see...

Reply #235093 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You don't think there will be a league back in action within the next year or so?

Reply #235101 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754