Anon
Years ago

Aus camp invitees

Believe the list is out?? Is it only to bottom age players

Topic #19714 | Report this topic

ankles  
Years ago

Yes, its only bottom-age U18 players ('93 birthdays - although I assume there will be a couple of '94 birthdays - there's a couple of very capable girls from SA country who I imagine will be considered strongly) as they will be eligible to compete at the first World 17 and Under tournament next year. It is the first step in the selection process for that group. I believe there are about 24 or 25 invites.

Reply #233549 | Report this post

revhead  
Years ago

One very talented top age u16 Metro girl who may be invited as well.

Reply #233553 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

one bottom age country girl tall, but cannot catch the ball! Guess they can teach that? Bit like BIG girl last year, could catch but couldnt RUN....now dropped out altogether I hear.......take the blinkers off!

Reply #233574 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

you guys talking about Carlee from Dandenong?

Reply #233576 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Anon - don't know to whom you are referring but you seem to have a thing against tall players. The two players I am thinking of (I don't even know their names so I couldn't use them if I wanted to - I'm not from SA) are not overly tall (probably 5'10 to 6'0 range) but are quite complete players (or at least as complete as you can be at 14 year of age) and they played with SA Country at the Junior Country Cup.

Methinks maybe you jumped in a bit early assuming I was pushing a particular cause. However, while I'm here. let me defend the 'big' players you seem to have a problem with.

1. Carrie Graf has gone public with her wish to develop players who 'are capable of beating the Americans'. Like it or not, that will entail certain types of athletes and body types.

2. Often these body types are tall. These tall players often take much longer to develop (partly because the game is so guard-dominated at the junior level). They take some time to get the coordination together and the skills and confidence together to play their role most effectively.

3. Like it or not, as a nation we won't compete internationally without a complete line-up of players and that includes talls. As height is the 'thing you cant teach' we need to find these players and nurture them. At the moment we do a shocking job of that. And yes, some of these 'project' players will fall by the wayside. But no more so than the many 5'8 girls who were the stars at U14's but as their 'early-maturers' advantage waned so did their passion and ability in the game.

4. And finally, I find a lot of people place unrealistic expectations on our talls. They expect that they will get every rebound, be first back on defense to block shots, score every shot they take (even though most of them are under much more physical contact than most shots), put up with the physical pounding they get game after game, and also put up with referees allowing much more contact on the talls than they do on smaller players.

So now who's jumping in? Probably me but as the father of a tall daughter who sat through a week of guard-dominated play last week at Gawler, I think the talls get a raw deal.

Reply #233582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is the list????????

Reply #233601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ankles and it has nothing to do with your daughter being tall I hope.

Reply #233603 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

list isn't public yet and I too, hope it has nothing to do with my daughter being tall!

Reply #233605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't a guard dominated week so you must have had blinkers on, I think if you check the states, 3,4 and 5's were the point dominators.

Reply #233606 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

you don't habve ta be tall to be great. I'm not too tall but I can dunk!! (and 2 others on the team can too ...but they are tall)

Reply #233609 | Report this post

Gaze  
Years ago

You dont have to dunk to be great either. Infact the 2 (dunking and being great) aren't really related at all.

Reply #233621 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

ofcourse they are .... all great players can dunk .. kobe, lebron, d-wade .. even little A.I

Reply #233633 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry think they are referring to the SAC 18 girls.....one got good potential... one sorry agree, cannot catch the ball

Reply #233667 | Report this post

stupid  
Years ago

Pretty sure steve nash never dunked it

Reply #233670 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

And of course its legitimate to point out that only the players can dunk are 'great' when the conversation in the thread is about 16 year old girls. Well spotted playtime..
Clearly they're all shite because they all cant dunk

Reply #233675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if past form is any guide metro girls have no shot and country girls will waltz it.

Reply #233678 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

agree with ankles about the unrealistic expectations placed on talls. They definitely get a raw deal week in week out, and even though some Umpires in charge agree that it should not be the case, it still happens. Do they just take a spoonful of concrete or do we allow these beatings to continue? But seriously, what is the best way to develop bigs in guard dominated juniors?

Reply #233681 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

So much to work with...

606 - I was actually referring to the week I had to sit through - as opposed to the tournament in general. But I think if you have a look at the stats, you'll find the players that dominated the stats (agreed - by and large talls) did not win the tournament!! Yes, they scored well bu their teams finished where? Fourth, sixth and ninth I think!! Leading scorers in winning teams were spread more evenly (funny that). Those talls were also one of one or two focuses for their team and everything went through them. All three have also had opportunities at Australian Camps and those opportunities showed in the standard of their play.

playtime - how easy is team selection going to be from now on! Can you dunk? No? See you later. On that basis I'm a chance of making a comeback!!

beaniebear - development of talls. After much frustration last week I'm starting to think its a lot of work with coaches. Despite the fact that referees give them a hard time, until we get a crop of 6'4 referees, they will continue to try and make the game even rather than fair (you're big, you have an advantage, so we'll give the littles a bit more help to compete - meanwhile, they don't slow down the fast kids or make the good shooters shoot only threes). I saw a classic example of this recently with my daughter who gets pounded every time she gets the ball and every time she tries to establish position on the block - off the ball, on the ball, at halfway in some games, yet when she showed hard on an on-ball and caught the guard with a minor hip (they stayed upright and 'played through it') the contact was immediately called. Yet if the same player that was bumped down the other end gets caught on a switch or a mismatch, two hands in the back, hips pushing in underneath and even, on one occasion, holding a singlet, are all acceptable!

So we can't do too much about them. But we do need to work with coaches who expect the bigs to be able to do everything because they have such an 'advantage' or who so rarely get bigs that they have no idea how to run a team which includes one or more quality bigs. Let the bigs develop their perimeter skills with other bigs, as opposed to making them work on ball-handling against guards. Walk them through the stages of post moves, how to deal with the contact and still finish. Its a huge step from a post-catch, drop step power lay-up unguarded in practice to the same move in a game situation. In a game situation it becomes post-up, protect the ball, keep it away from the guard digging in, read whether the double-team is coming (where is the open player?) turn to the middle, establish contact and feel the d, drop the baseline foot (have I got a seal?) spin hard to the basket (is there weakside help coming - where is the open player?) go up for the score (ready for the contact - absorb the contact) and finish with soft hands. It's a long process to teach all this stuff and frankly most team coaches don't have the time. All the 'fundamentals' we teach in learn to play are perimeter skills so we actually need specific big-player clinics to teach these post and inside skills.

Reply #233688 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Cant wait to see the U17 girls list.........suprise addition I bet, but then again, favours and deals must be kept...... (wont comment further cos could be hard to justify.......but heck, prob half dozen could still be ???????

Reply #233703 | Report this post

Pis Of War  
Years ago

Ankles....what state are you from?
I know you have stated you are not from SA, but you have a very decent insight into the SA program and kids, perhaps not in this thread, but certainly reading what you have said over the time....

Reply #233785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW

Reply #233787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not insight to jump on the bandwagon of a couple
S A country players and sing their praises while complaining endlessly that his tall daughter is roughed up mercilessly by vicious, murderous guards is it!
Anyone who went to Albury would know ankles.
As for the crap about talls not getting a fair go, give us a break, basketball is only for talls. Anyone who has a daughter under 174cms is wasting their time in the sport for anything other than the love of the game because with the very odd exception no one under that height will get a look in at camps.
So ankles if your daughter is lucky enough to be playing state STFU and let the coaches develop her without your insightful useless perceptions of tall abuse or she'll turn into the wimp you are.

Reply #233788 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Well done to the two top age u16 girls (that I know of). Both very talented. One country and one metro. Both deserving the honour and obvious inclusions.

Reply #233805 | Report this post

GETSUM  
Years ago

What's with all this personal crap!

L.A Boy What drugs u smokin? My Kid plays against Carlee from Dandy, She is a class act and makes her team! Great outside shot and strong under the basket!
No one person works harder, her and their new tall tear us apart! The team doesn't have much else and they're the top team in the comp, so figure that 1 out.

As for talls getting a raw deal, no doubt! The above mentioned is one of them(much to our teams delight). But as you progress through the ranks the calls get better and the players will be better for it.
As for big scorers, a lot of them (not all) cost their team more than they make, through being so focused on one end of the court, just ask playtime's team mates! Lol. Creativity rates higher for mine, work off the ball etc.
the Kids that do get selected will clearly deserve it, The word in Vic, is S.A country (16 girls) will be the favourites and their coaches believe this is their year, so they may get a showing in the camp invites, and may not but B.A know what they want. I know of a few girls already, and L.A boy you may be dissapointed!

Reply #233816 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/05/02/48805_ntsport.html

Reply #233839 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

ANONYMOUS 788 - yeah, I'm from NSW and you're right, it doesn't take too much insight to identify the talented girls from SA Country - still haven't seen any Metro SA girls. I never accused guards of being murderous or vicious (though there is at least one junior female guard I can think of who fits that bill!), I just said that talls don't get a fair go from the referees. GETSUM is right, the calls do get better as the kids get older, and there's no doubt that the players are better as a result.

Sorry if it seemed like endless bleating - its personal for me because its my little girl but I also understand its always somebody else's little girl.

I'd be fascinated to see that I made such an impact at Albury that anybody who was there would know me!

I will take issue with you about being lucky to play at State level because I think you'll find every single player who has been chosen to represent their state has worked very hard to be selected and luck plays only a minor part in it. In fact, that seems to be an attitude most commonly adopted by players (or more often parents) who have not been selected or not done the hard work.

So fair to say, I feel appropriately chastised and will in future reserve my comments for the people making them rather than the content of what is being said.

Reply #233841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 year old jaylene bonson from NT.
a girl to watch out for

Reply #233863 | Report this post

GETSUM  
Years ago

Ankles, spot on! It's hard to stand back and watch your kid get a raw deal without stepping through with the old don't argue! Some do it better than others. Yet it's all part of the game, some parents just HAVE NO IDEA and promote thuggery or they just can't see past their own kid.
The other shame is sour grapes on selections, A friend's kid just made their states team as a bottom age player admittedely, she is a project in the works
but she has the only quality you can't train into a kid. The parents of kids that missed out were absolutely shameful, taking away from their kids efforts while literally and overtly insulting the kids that got through!!
The kids that get through to the next level with this Aus camp, whether through a connection or hard yards deserves the shot, A person wouldn't put their name to someone who will make them look silly.
No need to hold back an opinion, just don't make it personal, Ankles yours has been an opinion, not anything wrong there bud just gets tongues wagging.

Reply #233967 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reckon SA should get OT in the side and poss tall U16 kid who has huge potential!

Reply #234360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.vjbl.com.au/index.php?id=10&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=71&tx_ttnews[backPid]=8&cHash=340ae8c1dc

Reply #234864 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754