shin splints
Years ago

More on Mills - now its Celeveland!

http://linky.com.au/s7ubo

Intro to the article:

"Patrick Mills could soon be feeding the ball to NBA superstar LeBron James after the Cleveland Cavaliers commissioned new Perth Wildcats coach Rob Beveridge to provide a comprehensive background report on the exciting Australian point-guard."

Topic #20084 | Report this topic

Wildgoose  
Years ago

Nice situation to be in. Pretty easy to get some assists with Lebron there. You would think the cavs would be looking for a taller guard since west, williams and gibson were a really short rotation.

Reply #238299 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its positive in that it shows yet another NBA team thinks it is worth finding out more about him.

He wouldn't want to actually end up there though, because not only would he be fighting for playing time behind Williams, West and Gibson, he wouldn't get the ball in his hands very often, since its the King's show in Cleveland.

I'm hopeful he will go higher than 30th now anyway! C'mon Atlanta @ #19!

Reply #238308 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Delonte is a shooting guard (short, but that's his position) and I don't rate Gibson at all. He'so taller than Mills, no where near as quick and is a streaky shooter at best.

I'd take Mills over Gibson and there are benefits to being the back-up to Mo who had a very average playoffs and is being paid more than he is worth, IMO. Could see Mo getting traded toward the end of his contract.

Reply #238311 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

"Pretty easy to get some assists with Lebron there."

yeah thats assuming that 'Brons had actually passed the ball for once :P

Seriously though i disagree with you doctor, i think Mo is safe as houses in Clevland atm. Sure he had a bad playoffs run but i would take Mo over Booby and its also been mentioned and is true that West is more of a 2 man. THere arent many great point guards on the auction block atm so i wouldnt be getting rid of an allstar right now.

Im still all for Patty going somewhere where he can show his skills in an offense geared to his up tempo game.

(i havent looked at draft position so dont kill me on these, just a list of Patty suited teams.)

1. Knicks
2. Warriors
3. Suns
4. Hawks
5. T'Wolves

Hawks and T'Wolves arent the most up tempo teams but their young and athletic squad allows room for some fast paced improvisation on offense.

Reply #238314 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Who says LeBron will be in Cleveland in 2010? In any caee, this is a good indicator to teams valuing him as a let second rounder.

Reply #238316 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Doctor, West can play both positions, so in the event that Mo is traded, guess who would start ahead of Mills at PG?

I don't rate Gibson that highly either, but he has stuck at Cleveland and I think you would find that Coach Brown would prefer him to Mills until he proves his worth - especially because he can shoot and Mills is not highly regarded for his shooting yet.

Height is also a big issue for the Cavs backcourt right now. Think they want another short guard when they have Mo, West and Boobie?

I could see Mills being buried on the bench for at least 2 seasons before he gets a shot in Cleveland.

Reply #238325 | Report this post

D.Rose#1  
Years ago

Unfortunately Mills has been bad in workouts soo far, particularly a guard heavy scrimmage where he was outplayed. His last chance to get into the first round is the upcoming camp in Treviso, Italy. I bet most teams do background checks on all the first round/second round players - especially one as decorated as Mills. I hope he goes to Sacramento in the late first round - thats a perfect fit for him and I think he will be one of the top 15 players from this draft when we look back in 5-10 years.

Reply #238338 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Beantown - I didn't say Mo would be traded now. I said he might at toward the end of his contract. If Mills does go to Cleveland, he'd be the back up PG ahead of Gibson IMO.

Not a bad spot to be in given Cleveland will make the playoffs next year and the back PG will play decent minutes (10-15 PG)

Reply #238339 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Doctor - I didn't say you did! :-)

What I am saying is that I think Mo, West and Gibson would all be used at the point before Mills. You obviously disagree.

More importantly though, even if he did get minutes, he wouldn't be in a good situation to succeed, because his strength is getting to the basket and then hopefully finding the open man. How often do you see someone other than Lebron make that play on the Cavs? If you're not Lebron, then your job is to either rebound or shoot 3's. Neither of which Mills does well!

Reply #238376 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Mo plays 30 - 35 min and Mills backs him up for 10 -15 min while West plays 30 - 35 and Gibson backs him up. There's room for all four.

Reply #238400 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

imagine Miilsy with the King - maybe what they need to get em over the hump - remind me of the old days and heal - kg combo

Reply #238427 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

f*** me.. How in hell does Lebron and Mills remind you of Heal and KG...

Reply #238431 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Maybe its because if he is drafted by such a deep team unfortuanately he will just be picking splinters out of his ass all season like heal?

Reply #238592 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, Oden08, you COULD find 10-15 mins for Mills if lucky (but do you really see Mo wanting to play less than about 36 mins), but think about my other point - what would they be asking him to do on the Cavs? Stay out of Lebrons way and jack up 3's!

Mills needs to learn how to run a real offence from a good point guard, not stand around and watch Lebron, or learn from an undersized gunner like Mo Williams. I want Mills to be a success and I doubt that he would develop the way he needs to on the Cavs.

Reply #238603 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 pm, Fri 15 Mar 2024 | Posts: 967,764 | Last 7 days: 765