aaa
Years ago

Adrien Sturt as a back-up centre?

Some postings have said that the 36ers are in talks with Adrien Sturt.

He would be cheap and a good back up C

Any thoughts??

Topic #20304 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw him play a bit for the Tigers in that pre-season match last season and thought he seemed decent, but unless Burston can reliably play 35 MPG, he might not be ready to play a regular role. Either he's coming along really well (averaging 25 and 14 in the BigV, but how strong is that comp?) or perhaps we'd see one of Ballinger, Holmes or another PF backup spending time in the middle as well?

Reply #241498 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Dont know lot about only seen bits of but much better long and short term option than Coops or Motts and cheaper than other alternatives. Matt Smith is another of same type with long term and you never know how will develope like Sturt.
Sturt numbers in big V look ok but need to match with someone we know in same big V league.
What is his height age etc

Reply #241500 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

about 209cm and 22 i think

Reply #241503 | Report this post

vichoops  
Years ago

Played against Crosswhite in the BigV below is an extract from one of the local papers, and it was Crosswhites Teams local paper.

Broncos disappoint again
By Stuart Teather
21st April 2009 11:05:45 AM

"I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am right now if talent-wise we weren't there, but we are."

Hume City's biggest off-season recruit, NBL centre Ian Crosswhite, had 18 points and 12 boards, but was outplayed by Tigers' young gun Adrien Sturt for most of the night.

It was a telling story that Crosswhite, who has far more experience at NBL level than Sturt, struggled to match it with the Tigers man.

Sturt had 31 points, including five three-pointers and 18 rebounds in a monster game and was far and away the most damaging player on the court.

Reply #241504 | Report this post

oz bball despair  
Years ago

Sturty is a great young man and has not been given much of a chance by Tigers. DJ comes in and takes his spot with no more talent and far less good manners. Adrien is a polite young man who shows consideration and respect for those around him. There is no attitude shown like Greer and Johnson. 36ers would be lucky to have Sturt and no I am not related ... just a Tigers fan who thought he was hard done by when lesser guys (in all respects) like Greer and Johnson get it easy.

Reply #241507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt is a 209cm Forward, who can shoot a three equally well as close to the basket.

He has played as a Backup Centre but not sure that is his true position.

Reply #241508 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sounds like he's worth the interest then. What I liked about that pre-season game was that he showed few nerves for a rookie and wasn't intimidated by being up against more experienced opponents.

Reply #241509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers won the BigV Championship last year and went to the Nationals only to lose in the finals.

Sturt scored 20 points in the Australian Club Championships playing against SEABL teams.

BigV would rate as high as SA Central Basketball Competition, where the top teams would compete well against the top SEABL teams, if this helps.

Reply #241510 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looked pretty good against Luke , that game Isaac.
At least my son's team will come with me to sixers games, now.. Big Sturt fans.

Reply #241513 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Think Coop might be pretty close to signing.

Sturt sounds alright though, didn't know he had 3pt range.

Reply #241514 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

Good 3 point shooter, good rejections,rebounds,dunks.
Good at everything really... gets the crowd excited.

Reply #241517 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Think Coop might be pretty close to signing."

XztatiK where did u hear that?

Reply #241518 | Report this post

G.Smith  
Years ago

The BigV teams played against the SA ABL sides in the first round of the ABA National Championships.

Sandringham beat Norwood by 20points and Melbourne smacked Forestville by 30.

Sturt had a good National Champs campaign averaging 20points and 11rebounds per game - (quarter final and semi final)
* against the Forestville Eagles and Hobart Chargers

That might give you an Idea on where he is at across Australia at an ABA level. Still very young, so back up Centre in the NBL would be a great pick up for Adelaide

Reply #241520 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Tiger radio - " Welcome back to Tiger radio , where we've just heard the biggest roar from the crowd, for the night, as Adrien Sturt entered the court, and in a matter of seconds, did a massive dunk, rejected Saville,and swished a three. . Let's hope that the roof stays on."
( sounds a bit like our back up centre)

Reply #241557 | Report this post

frank sorrenti  
Years ago

just looked at his big v stats WOW i would think yes as back up for burston

Reply #241566 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Yes thanks for great feedback . Lets get this guy quick. Might create some excitement and fan clubs like some past back up centres.
Coops NOOOOOO------ ooooooo PLease NOoooooooo

Reply #241567 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

Born in Adelaide with a South Australian name.

Reply #241662 | Report this post

frank sorrenti  
Years ago

the big v is the second best comp in australia

Reply #241794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are kidding aren't you Frank?

Reply #241837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An article on Sturt from a local newspaper in Victoria:

http://linky.com.au/hcytu

Reply #241879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone got any feedback from his visit to Adelaide yet. Has anyone seen him workout, if so what are you thoughts

Reply #241976 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ninnis said Sturt "dunks, rebounds and blocks shots" and had done well. But he is not in current calculations.

Reply #242112 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So very sad.
My son's team will be very disappointed, when I tell them the bad news.

Not quite sure what more would be required.

( Unless they pick an under-23 player)

Will be intersting to see what they do.

Reply #242116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:10 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754