TRIPPLE
Years ago

NH: World's most famous person?

I know its not a basketball topic but since the death of Michael Jackson it's got me thinking who is the most famous/popular person in the world (dead or alive) and it can be from any industry (sport, entertainment, politics etc)
My pick is no doubt Michael Jackson, anyoone agree?

Topic #20339 | Report this topic

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

id say george bush, obama, bin ladin or arnold schwarzaneggar

Reply #241892 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Hu Jintao

Reply #241894 | Report this post

Hong Kong in NBL  
Years ago

I'm going with ronald mcdonald - i'm serious.

Reply #241895 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Jesus H Christ, Buddha, Mohammed - Can't go past industry leaders like that...

Reply #241896 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Hu's Jintao?

Reply #241898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to go with Michael Jackson. Bush is also up there.

Reply #241900 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

MJ was supposedly the worlds most recognisable person in the nineties.

Reply #241905 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

President Obama now or even Bruno

Reply #241907 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Jesus. No contest.

Reply #241909 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Isaac.

Reply #241910 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Falco was pretty big in the 80's

Reply #241911 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Falco!!! Hehe, haven't heard that for years!!!

Reply #241912 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Some options: Einstein, Da Vinci, Mao, Elvis, Hitler, Stalin, Walt Disney, Princess Diana, Shakespeare, Gandhi, Bill Gates, Madonna, Piccaso, Pamela Anderson.

Outside of the religious figures, I think Mao Zedong could be a reasonable chance with possibly Gandhi behind him.

60% of the world's population is in Asia and almost a third of that is in China. All generations in China would be aware of Mao, though many (especially rural) would have limited awareness of western icons or even key religious figures.

Obviously India is very populous also, but outside of Gandhi and some Bollywood stars, I'm not sure if there would be a common personality that all castes and generations would know.

Africa might be too sparse and disconnected to really hold much sway and Europe accounts for only about 10% of the world's population.

Including religious icons, Buddha would probably not make the top two and while Hinduism has a significant following, its identities vary. You'd comfortably pick Jesus and Mohammed as the top two identities.

I think I'd rank it:

Jesus
Mohammed
Mao
Gandhi

Reply #241914 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

What about Buddah?

Reply #241916 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I would say Chuck. Maybe Wesley second. I don't know any other Person's.

Reply #241918 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Lets only count people that we actually know for a fact they exsisted, so that counts out jesus.

Reply #241919 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Mickey Mouse

Reply #241922 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Judging by all the d##kheads that prance around in Che Guevara t-shirts he must be up there (even if most aforementioneds probably think it's a picture Jesus or just some random "cool looking dude")...

Castro would have to be up there as well - in spite of being the President of a small Carrib. island.

Reply #241923 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Not many people dispute that Jesus existed as a historical figure.

Reply #241945 | Report this post

Beer is Sweet  
Years ago

Jerry Denard, without question with Paris McCurdy coming in a close 2nd.

Reply #241947 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I dispute Jesus ever existed. Hasslehoff is way cooler and if "Jesus" did exist, so what, he wasn't on Baywatch or Knight Rider.

Reply #241950 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Muhammad Ali
Mike Tyson
Hulk Hogan

Reply #241953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'd find someone like Yao Ming would be high on the list.
Highly recongnisable in the USA and everyone in China knows who he is as well as many other countries. Add up the populations and he would be very close to the top of the list!

Reply #241955 | Report this post

daffy  
Years ago

paul mccartney anyone?

Reply #241957 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Luke Skywalker

Reply #241958 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Fabio.

The most beautiful man in the world..

Reply #241963 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Julius Hodge

Reply #241964 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

ELVIS

...thankyou very much

Reply #241968 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Your mum.

Reply #241973 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

boom patrol
ESp
MW
Dicko
beer is sweet
Mystro
matt ryan
skin
DB5
Shin Splints
Nutwork :You all get an F for not reading the question and not doing your research!What is on TV is not world popular.He is talking other /also western democracies.

Rest of you are probably right depending on the education of those peasants of the 100 millions.

Reply #241974 | Report this post

Allkait  
Years ago

Bo Hamburger

/end thread

Reply #241975 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

David Beckham. Global interest of football and celebrities... gotta be up there.

Reply #241983 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Shotclock - F for not realising most of us were joking

Reply #241984 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

spot on Skin

Reply #241994 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Fabio's not real?

and Luke Skywalker??
WTF!

Reply #241997 | Report this post

Rodney Carney  
Years ago

Most famous person dead or alive.. obviously it's not gonna be anyone current.. take into account all the previous generations that neve got to know them. Most famous will be people from the ancient periods like Socrates, Alexander the Great etc... all the generations from their time forward (ours included of course)know of them.

Reply #242051 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

hey shotclock, hoff aint gona send you a clock for christmas or a pair of autographed baywatch trunks, so who's laughing now

Reply #242089 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Rodney, do you really think that the youth of today know who Socrates or A the G was?

Reply #242104 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Or 800 million rural workers in China, or the same in India?

At dinner last night, someone put forward Sachin Tendulkar as a possible top ten candidate - he'd have saturation in India, the UK, Australia, NZ, South Africa, but not much after that. Maybe a billion people all up. Still, probably more than any Bollywood personality.

Reply #242107 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Interesting show on Micheal Jackson last night on Channel 9. It was insinuated that he manipulated the whole Whacko Jacko thing for publicity and cast doubts whether Joe abused his son, or whether this was another stunt to sell records.

They were very scathing of his alledged paedofile activities and commented that the father of the alledged victim was a screen writer (wrote men in tights) and was more interested in advancing his career than worrying about his son's welfare. Big call by the show.

The worrying thing was that they claimed Jacko was arrested after negotiations broke down between the father and Jacko. The other things in the show were that the kid was able to describe "telltale marks" on his private parts, and they showed footage of an alledged secret bedroom off of his main bedroom.

The show also documented an incident at the Mirage Hotel where he alledgedly held a party with many young boys and trashed the room as well as writing words in faesces on sheets. Eeeeew if true.

While he was never convicted of paedofilia and there are always two sides to the story, the documentary painted him in a very dim light.

Reply #242115 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

I wasn't joking.

Reply #242183 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You were just using a sample size of one in your polling.

(That's what she said!)

Reply #242187 | Report this post

Cristina  
Years ago

Forgetting about Jesus and Ceasar and sticking to the last 100 years, i would say:
Hitler, Einstein, Bush, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley. Without an order.

I can't mention the Queen or the Pope, cause they are famous only as institutions, not necessarily as individuals. Not everybody knows their name, or whether they're the same ones as 10 years before.

Obama is world famous, and he's definately getting to the top, but he needs some time.Maybe in 5-10 years.

Reply #247039 | Report this post

blaze.nation  
Years ago

brett maher

Reply #247046 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Are you stupid? Elvis Presley? Try going to Asia (where 70% of the world is) and do a survey of who knows Elvis Presley versus who knows Mao Zedong... typical westernised, egocentric, arrogant muppets. Don't even realise your country is falling...

Reply #283022 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754