Isaac
Years ago

Taipans confirm Melzer signing

"Definitely we think we picked up a pretty good player," Fearne said.

"Obviously a few years ago when he played in New Zealand he put up pretty impressive numbers (18.6 points, 7.4 rebounds per game).

"And he has matured into a much better player since those early days."
The fact he had played in the NBL before and the uncertainty of the European market are believed to be among the factors in Melzer's decision to link with Cairns.

Full article

They're planning a three-man frontcourt rotation of Melzer, Rychart and Crosswhite and Fearne talks of signing one remaining Australian player.

Not sure if that means that trial PG Skip Mills is out of the equation or already signed? I imagine that Joe Werner is out of consideration. Not sure what happened to the Graeme Dann rumours.

If they go with Mills:

Mills/Williams
Jones/Vale
Grabau/Boodnikoff
Melzer/Rychart
Crosswhite/Smith? (who is training with them)

Did I forget anyone?

Topic #20599 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

That's pretty spot on. Wouldnt rule out a young big man taking that final roster spot though.

Taipans looking good with this line up. Probably just as good as when they were paying approx $1.5mill.

Reply #245089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith as in Jason Smith is training with them?

Reply #245090 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Matt Smith

Reply #245094 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

"uncertainty of the European market"

he is playing in Cairns.

Reply #245098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Werner would have got the gig (had already agreed to terms) but his SEABL club Kilsyth would not release him to train until mid way though August. Pretty poor form by thm, cost him his chance by the sound of it.

Reply #245100 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nutwork - nice!

Anon - sounds unfortunate. Second tier in the NBL would provide for these budget imports plus veterans and young prospects. The NBL should absolutely be considering it. Paul, I trust that you are hounding them!

Reply #245102 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I am not a hounder by nature! But I believe it is being strongly considered.

Reply #245104 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would join a Coalition of Two-Tier Hounders if there was one. Start up a page on Hoops, detail the advantages of a two-tier competition for Australian basketball and get word out until the league can't deny its popularity with the public. ;)

Reply #245105 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Who is their under 23 player?

Reply #245125 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Kerry Williams = U23.

Two tier campaigners - unite!

Reply #245126 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

What the hell is a red funny, are balls extinct? or is that a second tier ball?

Reply #245134 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Plan is to replace balls with more specific 'awards' - Funny, Informative, etc. Just haven't got around to making icons for them.

Reply #245136 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Obviously not working hard enough, on our free forum.

Reply #245140 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:12 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754