Isaac
Years ago

Sam Harris to join Wildcats squad

Basketball giant Sam Harris has joined the Perth Wildcats shadow squad and will train with Rob Beveridge's team throughout the 2009-10 NBL season.

Although unable to win a contract with Perth due to points and salary cap limitations, Harris' role as a squad player could develop into something more should a rostered player succumb to injury.

With resident centre Paul Rogers managing just two games due to injury last season, the 25-year-old may yet feature in a red singlet this season.
Full article

Obviously insurance for Rogers, but is it the right move? The Lebanese import could shift to start at C and the Cats have ample coverage at PF, but is it likely to keep them competitive if Rogers struggles to keep healthy?

Topic #20828 | Report this topic

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Harris doesn't have what it takes to play with the big boys. He'll be a waste of time, the Cats are better seeking someone else out.

Reply #247298 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's what I suspected. Have you seen him play recently?

Reply #247303 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it is smart. He is till only 25 and definitely worth developing. If he doesnt make it then so be it - but I think it would be silly not to give a big guy who has some rebounding and shotblocking ability a chance.

Reply #247305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude is 7-foot-3, he is more than worth a chance. How is he surviving financially if he is training full time but not contracted.

Reply #247316 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They could be paying him to hang around and be available - that wouldn't need to come under the cap. Could have him do school visits if necessary to get a bit more value out of him.

Reply #247322 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

He is a big, big boy, but does not really have the skill level nor understanding fo the game to back up his physical attributes. I hope he can improve though, it would be such a shame to waste that physique!

Reply #247326 | Report this post

Good to see that Sam has managed to stay connected to a quality program.

Sam improved significantly during his last season with the Singapore Slingers and while he still has much to learn he certainly has good potential.

Good luck !

Reply #247431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam was about to hang up his boots.
Interesting selection.
Of course the connection with Wildcats Asst coach helps. ;)

Reply #248026 | Report this post

Francis  
Years ago

Sam is a talented player with lots of potential given the right training and a good break. He is a tall guy who has good perimeter shooting and could even knock down a three if needed (he's made a few with the Singapore Slingers). Many would have skepticism on him, but I've seen him play and train.

Reply #250200 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Seeing him train is far different to playing against another quality big man. Also, for a guy his size, I would hope he is focussing on developing his post moves rather than his outside shooting abilities.
I truly hope he succeeds.

Reply #250204 | Report this post

LT  
Years ago

SAM HARRIS IS GOING TO OPEN A CAN OF WHOOP ASS!!

Reply #253127 | Report this post

Drewboy23  
Years ago

Breakers will win this League - Sam Harris will help Perth lose their title

Reply #295569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice work champ...threads only 12 months old and Harris is playing with Adelaide...

How was jail? Lucky it was only a short term for you..

Reply #295570 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:36 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754