skull
Years ago

Was there a Brown-Baynes dispute?

after game 1 i told a mate of mine that this young guy could seriously be a LEGIT backup option on the next olympic team.

coach brown needs to answer some questions,firstly what happened ? why wasnt the kid playing when we needed him ? did coach brown put his own ego in front of a possible win ?

Topic #20844 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

My feeling is thatthis is a new coach seeking to place his stamp of authority on the team. Players having to subsume their own egos for the good of the team system and a learning opportunity for everyone to familiarise themselves with a given role. There is clearly tension, Baynes is not the only one whom Brown has butt heads with. I think that it is obvious that any hack coach would have made different moves if their primary objective was to win that game. The one who stands to bear the most criticism for the loss is Brown himself, so I can only speculate that he had a longer term plan in mind. Given that qualification was not on the line, Brown I think made the call to stick to the game plan as an experience to bank for the future when the results really do matter. However I still feel he would be seething over the loss.

Reply #247598 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

these are kids, he is an adult who also happens to be an assistant coach in the nba, he should have thrown it back at baynes and re-issued the challenge.

Reply #247599 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

Peaks & Valleys.

He has body language issues & his main cattle arent playing. That medal is a long way off....

Reply #247600 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Australia won't be that bad when they're full strength and Baynes will probably have a more defined role then, which may be better for him.

Reply #247603 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'd still like to know what is the go

Reply #247604 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Obviously some issues between player and coach. I dont think Brown sees Baynes as in his best 20 players so probably doesnt mind.

Reply #247606 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

coach brown needs to understand that, in australia we dont have 7 foot kids with foot speed,timing etc at our disposal.

Reply #247607 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Goorjian had the priviledge of f%@king things up for eight years, lets give Brett some time before we start throwing any criticisms.

Lets not forget he has more real experience than BG.

Reply #247610 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

But I would still like to know what actually happened!

Reply #247611 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

By real experience do you mean watching someone else coach?!

Reply #247615 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

Brown needs time to implement his strategies but its hard not to be critical when you get thumped by 20 by the kiwis! Alot of blokes didnt look like they belonged - thats never b4 been the case.

He's obviously blooding our next generation!

Newley was ok & i cant say much else. Jawai looked terrible at times.

I hope it comes together quickly!!

Reply #247617 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

skull, Brown's ego? I have no idea as to what went down, so just joining the speculation for the sake of discussion, but if Baynes caused some trouble, goodbye. The Boomers fell down first and foremost because they (collectively) didn't play a team game. They have to buy into and execute a team strategy.

Reply #247622 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Maybe the Boomers can be "Hoosiers" type story from here on...

Brown is the out of towner coach (Hackman's character) with a dark past coming in on the recco of an old friend... Ingles is the quiet withdrawn savant ("Jimmy Chitwood") who the coach is struggling to get through to... and Baynes is the trouble maker who won't buy into the new coach's system and methods who quits on the team...

Dennis Hopper's character??? - "The Two headed monster..." (respect to Clinton Grybas RIP) of Heal/Lemanis...

I bet they will even run a "picket fence" play...

DAMN "Hoosiers" is a great movie... If you haven't seen it - see it!

In all seriousness though - given a few hours to digest it - it's not the end of the world . Maybe the boys needed a fire lit under their collective arses...

Reply #247623 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

isaac,when i said browns ego, i meant if the kid said something in the heat of the moment,get over it quickly,dont let it interfere with the game plan(if there was one) and deal with it post game.(suspensions etc)

'if baynes caused some trouble,goodbye'

if we said goodbye to every kid that did that in the heat of moment there wouldn't be many players left.

i'm not for one moment suggesting it was a good move from baynes,quite the opposite,but punishing him like that really hurt the team in an international game.

Reply #247636 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Skull has a point about Baynes. In the heat of the moment we all do and say things that upon reflection, we would rather forget.

Reply #247639 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Yes Paul, he "watched someone else coach"... thing is that someone just happens to be one of the two most successful coaches in the worlds best league..... don't suppose he would have picked anything up though.

Oh... and he was an assistant for the Boomers during their most successful period..... and he did coach North Melbourne to an NBL title.

BG obviously has had more experience though coaching champions in a third rate league and leading the Boomers to the enviable position of being in the "Top Ten" in the world.

Reply #247646 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Pathetic effort all round,but why in the hell didn't he call the timeout 10pts earlier when the Kiwi run was hitting full flight? My 12 yo daughter was yelling for a timeout off the couch.

In perspective,what results do you expect when Harvey & Crawford are supposedly good enough to play for Aust..

Reply #247650 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As has been mentioned in other posts, Brown's coaching in relation to substitions and the need to call a timeout earlier have been discussed. I agree it was pretty ordinary in that regard.

However it has also been noted that you can only select players who are available for selection. Harvey deserved his selection based on who was available. He is the go-to player in an NBL team and a proven scorer at that level. As for Crawford's selection, whether it was him or Weigh or the like's, it would not have made much difference.

We had nearly 10 of our best players unavailable for a variety of reasons. You can only pick who is perceived to be the best options for the team based on who is available. The young Boomers squad to tour China is a case is point.

Reply #247654 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Seriously guys, we are talking about our National team, we are talking about a kid who is playing for Australia for the first time and the coach should put up with his behaviour??? He did a stupid play during the game where the ball was passed into Jawai and then he moved into the space where Jawai was and his man then helped out on Jawai. Nathan signalled to get out and he didn't and they ended up double teaming Jawai in the post. Dumb move which then escalated because Brown subbed him off. My guess is if he didn't react the way he did and act like a spoilt 10 year old then he probably would have gotten back on the court, but kudos for Brown to keep him off to teach him a lesson. The game meant almost nothing and like someone said earlier we had a lot of players out who would easily slot into that team, so why put up with that shit from a kid? If Baynes doesn't learn the lesson from this then he won't be in the squad next time Brown picks his team!

Reply #247656 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

skull, well, it depends what he said and whether there'd been previous issues. And on top of that, we don't even know if there has been an issue.

All we have to go on is that Baynes played less than a minute in Game 2 and was frustrated about something with Clarke.

Reply #247658 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And not forgetting that Baynes chose to represent Australia instead of New Zealand as well...(he did have a chocie!)

Reply #247660 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Isaac, exactly right, we have very little to go on and so we can only speculate as to whether either Brown/ Baynes did the wrong thing. That was what frustrated me in the first place about this, because the question needed to be asked by a journalist straight after the game. Unfortunately, the journalists covering the game didn't do their job properly, so we are left in the dark about a decision that may have had an important impact on the game.

Reply #247663 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spotted this online which explains Baynes absence in the Stankovic squad:

...while Aron Baynes is linking with Lithuania's Lietuvos Rytas.

Reply #247682 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yes - Baynes is headed to Matt Neilson's old team.

Reply #247694 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:49 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754