LC
Years ago

Iverson set to sign with the Grizzlies

The talk is nearing completion, Allen Iverson is set to continue his NBA career with Memphis.

Iverson has announced the likely signing via Twitter:

"God Chose Memphis as the place that I will continue my career"

ESPN: http://linky.com.au/twgx3

The Grizzlies are believed to be offering Iverson a one-year deal worth $3.5 million, which is far less than the nearly $21 million he earned last season in Denver and Detroit but more than anyone else was prepared to pay the 34-year-old.

"The Memphis Grizzlies have agreed in principle to enter into an agreement with free-agent guard Allen Iverson," Wallace said in a statement Wednesday night. "We anticipate signing him to a contract very soon."

Topic #20978 | Report this topic

Dept  
Years ago

Hahahahahaha.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Reply #249065 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Oh dear Allen. God only picked the Grizzlies for you because he's a Pistons fan.

Reply #249072 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

AI does god make you the one of the most selfish players to have played the game ? if so shame on him .

Reply #249074 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I am not an AI fan, but I wish I fell from grace into a $3.5m contract.

Reply #249076 | Report this post

the answer  
Years ago

He will prove all the haters wrong this season!

Reply #249086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lmao No he won't. Where will the answer to a question nobody asked be next season?

a) Europe

b) prison

Reply #249095 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Let's see how he goes this season. If he does OK, he is likley to get another contract. If not, Europe may be a likely option.

Reply #249104 | Report this post

the answer  
Years ago

Back in 2001 he won MVP and took his team to the finals.

i love how quickly people forget the good times and concentrate on the low points.

end of the day he is still making millions in the NBA and will proabbly make the all star game this year on popularity alone

Reply #249107 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If making the all star game is based on popularity, what is it really worth?

Exciting player to watch in his day, but his value was in his ability to carry a team as its primary scorer. With his age and with the ability for teams to play a pseudo zone, his amazing scoring exploits are a thing of the past.

As was shown in Denver and Detroit, good teams don't need him to carry them and his need to have the ball in his hands is a negative when you've got 4 other talented guys standing around.

Reply #249110 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's an entertainment business, so popularity counts for something.

Adam Sandler might not be winning awards, but if his films get people through the door, he'll remain popular. (Not a fan personally of either Sandler or Iverson.)

Reply #249114 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

You're right Isaac, it counts for much moulah! :P

But as far as defending someone's basketball record goes, I would never resort to how many all star games someone made as a measure of their ability. The fans have proven time and again that they are incapable of selecting people to the all star game on merit.

Reply #249119 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Basketbawful explains pretty much how AI will find himself going to Memphis. LMAO

The Conversation: Starring A.I. and God

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/

Reply #249144 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

"For the record, God "chose" Memphis for the same reason Aron Ralston chose to cut off his own arm with a dull knife and a pair of pliers: because there was no other choice. So, you know, I guess God's ways aren't so mysterious aftera all."

Reply #249145 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Ouch, don't know about going THAT graphic with the comparison 7G! 3.5 mill would at least buy you a decent GPS beacon and a mate with a surgical saw for a clean cut in such emergencies - if you're going to cut your arm off and have a couple of mill to spare, I always say "do it with sophist-a-mication and style"!

Reply #249148 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

You guys suck, Iversons one of the greatests players to ever play the game, its not his fault he got dragged by the leagues worst GM into his worst possible situation. Looking forward to him bouncing back this year, even if it is with the Lottery bound Grizzlies

Reply #249159 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

at least he can't kill Memphis's buzz as they already suck lol.

Reply #249219 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Gee , Grizz players look stoked with the new arrival .

Jules , massive difference between one of the best scorers and one of the greatest players ever .

Well if he sucks the life out of the Grizz suppose he can always blame god as he is the man that decided that journey for him .
There are

Reply #249223 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Ok, so the Grizzles (not a typo) decide that the two players they want to mentor their young stars Mayo and Gay (or is that Gay Mayo?) will be Iverson and Z-Bo Randolph. Awesome.
Lets make Z-Bo in charge of offseason conditioning, and A.I can run the team practises.
Both can be put in charge of 'road trip team bonding activities'.

Crap aside, i really hope AI and Mayo bond well and do some damage for the fans of a team that has never got it right.

Reply #249240 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

What? Surely theres no argument Iverson is one of the greatests players ever?

Reply #249434 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A great player in his prime, yes. One of the greatest players ever, I don't think so.

Reply #249438 | Report this post

Jung  
Years ago

Allen Iverson i think is the top 50 greatest players and surely in the hall of fame.

Reply #249450 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Putting AI next to the likes of Jordan, Magic, Bird & Co doesn't sit well with me. He is a definite rung down the ladder IMO. I guess time will tell.

Reply #249459 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

I don't think I'm putting him against 'the likes of Jordan, Magic, Bird & Co' - but hes a hall of famer

Reply #249476 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

People are so easy to forget, before he was traded to Detroit, he was averaging 27 and 7 in Denver. Just a terrible situation for him.

I don't think I'm putting him against 'the likes of Jordan, Magic, Bird & Co' - but hes a hall of famer

And 'In his prime'???? What you mean, the last 12 years? Penny Hardaway was a great player in his prime...

Career mumbers of 27ppg and 6apg over 13 years is ridiculous.

Reply #249477 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Don't know why 20 percent of my post posted earlier...

Reply #249478 | Report this post

iverson fan  
Years ago

People need to remember he made the finals a number of times and who else was on the team i ask, no one good. He was a superstar and in his prime, 7 or 8 years of it no one could stop him. he played hurt constantly, hes not even 6 foot tall, have you seen some of the hits he got up from.
granted hes no michael Jordan but then who is??. I argue he was as good as lebron, wade and co in his time, yes he doesnt have a championship but he didnt have the players around him to get all the way there. attitude etc are all issues no doubt but he can seriously play and i think he will surprise a few this year as should be hungry to prove himself.

Reply #249487 | Report this post

Brick  
Years ago

Tall poppy syndrome. They just hate him cause they aint him. 6 ft, top 4 Scoring in NBA of All-Time. Pretty impressive if you ask me..

Reply #249700 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:03 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754