LC
Years ago

Re-launching the NBL

Here is some promotion of the NBL...less than a week out from the start of the season in a major newspaper...

"THE National Basketball League is ready to bounce back after a turbulent off-season that saw the demise of the Sydney Spirit and the most recent champion, South Dragons, modifying the league from 10 teams to eight."

The Age: http://linky.com.au/2ux2y

And with the season tipping off this Thursday in New Zealand, Harmison still has high hopes for a more comprehensive relaunch for the 2010-11 season with a presence in Sydney and Brisbane, while hinting at plans for another club in Victoria.

"That's absolutely our goal for the next 12 months," he said. "Not only are they [are] the biggest markets outside Melbourne in terms of sports franchises, but just in sheer population. This season will get the ball rolling for an exciting reform for next year's 10-team league."

Topic #21036 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

A lot more positive than the piece that I've seen on Yahoo, The West, etc.

Reply #250003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that's what they said last season, that they're hoping to re-launch the league this season. Bulls

Reply #250010 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

At least it had a positive spin...most other articles making the print media about the NBL have been generally negative.

Reply #250012 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, and then plans changed - teams dropped out and it was a horrible financial climate to do much more than keep the league running at all. I think the clubs themselves have done very well considering.

Reply #250014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes so let's not be so sure that they will re-launch

Reply #250034 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

yeah,hats off to the clubs/fans for fighting on.

anon - whats with the negative shit ?

i watched tim morrisey on fox sports tonight,what's up his arse?
bagging the game that got him a gig where he is and he still has nothing positive to say.
the guy was a dickhead on the court and has choosen the only path that lets you be successful and a dickhead at the same time(a journo)

Reply #250044 | Report this post

Jesus  
Years ago

If you look at the author it is none other than.... Bo Westover, so maybe he will do NBL pieces for the Sun instead of Grantley Bernard. Just thought I'd let you all know that.

Reply #250085 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd rather have Bo writing stuff than a hater like Tim Morrissey in Sydney!

Reply #250093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skull- it's not being negative but just been realistic and basing things on what's been happening

Reply #250127 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The article was in The age newspaper, not the Herald-Sun. I doubt he will take over from Grantley.

Reply #250128 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

anon - what are you expecting from a re -launch??

all the bells and whistles,and then be shot down again as yankee crap??

did you witness the last 'golden era' of the nbl?
i did, and it wasnt that golden,more a flimsy unsustainable product that was never going to last.

do you understand how deep the world financial crisis is/was at the time when larry and b/a were being held to ransom by the owners who fucked it in the first place??
the australian basketball landscape was changing by the hour and b/a held their ground.

they are building a base for the future of basketball in austalia so everyone should be grateful.

Reply #250149 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:28 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754