Not again!
Years ago

Owners sitting on the bench

On Friday night I noticed a few of the owners sitting on the bench.

I can understand Darren's dad maybe filling a spot as club doctor to save money; however to the other owners I think you should be pressing the flesh with the corporates trying to squeeze every last cent you can out of the Adelaide business community.

Any thoughts?

Topic #21274 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

What owners were sitting on the bench?

Only Chek who is a team doctor. Who else do you claim to have seen?

Reply #252695 | Report this post

Not again!  
Years ago

Mark Lewis was sitting there as well.

Reply #252700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so sitting in the second row is counted as sitting on the bench now?

Reply #252705 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mark Lewis was sitting in one of the rows behind the bench (e.g., corporate seats) with his partner. Dean Parker was walking around talking to people, as was Ben Fitzsimons. I saw Darryl Simmons near my seats a few times so might be sitting around there. Richard Hill was on the bench because, umm, he's one of the coaches. Chek was standing near the benches in the player's race until Darren subbed out with the cramping problem or Hill re-injured his ankle. Didn't see Finlay or Fuss on the bench and not sure where their exact seats are.

Reply #252707 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Mark Lewis was not on the bench! He sits just behind Scotty in a corporate box and I reckon he was there all game.

The SOS guys pretty much spread themselves around the joint. Some on the south and some on the north. They are doing a good job at it too.

Chek was on the end on the bench doing a bit of medical stuff, but I think you'll find that was pretty much it. I checked out Yvonne's photos and can only think the guy your thinking of is the physio (he looks a little bit like the oompa loompa guy from the chocolate factory remake)

The "Silver Fox" (don't know his name) was standing in the players race at the end of the game with Bonz getting the balls for the players at the end of the game.

You have got them confused with someone else, or need your eyes tested.

Reply #252708 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

I have seen Seamus on the Tigers bench many times!

Reply #252710 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sorry, Dean Parker - aka the Silver Fox - he'll kill me for that

Reply #252711 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not Again, do you know what Mark Lewis looks like?

It doesn't show his face, but he's in this photo, in the background, standing up holding a stats sheet. Please note that he's not "sitting on the bench" as you've so firmly and incorrectly stated.

Reply #252712 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Dean Parker, Daryl Simmons and Chek are seated in the North stand,right behind Isaac.
Mark Lewis, Paul Finlay and Chris Fuss in the South.
Chek was the fill in for Doc

Reply #252716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's the annoying owner who goes around high fiving everyone and dances on the court? He's very hard to ignore.

Reply #252718 | Report this post

Not again!  
Years ago

My Bad.

Great that the Doc can save some money for the club.

Reply #252719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 718....WTF I've never seen any of the owners on the court ..what game are you at.

Chek was only filling in for the regular doctor.

All the owners sit in the same or similar seats that they have for many years.

Reply #252722 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Who is the Silver Fox?

Reply #252725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just looked at the photos and the guy I'm talking about is Dean Parker. He sits near me and he's always walking around - the last 2 games he's walked around giving high fives to people and last week he was on court dancing after the game. The way he carries on, you'd think we're there to watch him.

Reply #252726 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Silver Fox is passionate - should be more of it. He's doing a good job of getting us all hyped up.

Reply #252729 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

The SILVER FOX is GOLD!!!!!!
If any of you get to know him you would understand, Dean is the most passionate person I have ever met, his enthusiam is contagious. That also is reflected in his position in the Club.
Talk to him on game night, you will find out!

Reply #252731 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The way he carries on, you'd think he was excited about the game and seeing the team do well.

I have to back-up ITK - only met Dean for the first time this year and he's a great guy. Very enthusiastic.

Reply #252732 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

To all those people making comments about the 36ers owners sitting on the bench - WHO CARES. As you have been shown you got your info wrong, but, does it really matter. If the SOS group had not saved the team you wouldn't even have a team to watch. So stop your inane whinging and be thankful. Also be thankful that they have passion for this team.
The only owner I have ever objected to sitting on the bench is the Tigers FAT CONTROLLER. He is a rude and ignorant wanker who yells abuse at the referees, the opposition and the fans. IMO he should be banned by the NBL from being anywhere near the court, but, that won't happen (unless Larry grows big ones).

Reply #252733 | Report this post

Courtside  
Years ago

Wow, lets get upset because we have a passionate excited owner... you tosser. Have spoken to "The Silver Fox" a couple of times and he is very pasionate and his excitement is infectious. Just what this club needs. If this is the type of people owning our club we are very lucky.

Reply #252738 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I also believe Brett Mahers new role is to please the sponsors and I think having him there might mean a bit more than having the owners, who pay enough freaking money to deserve to sit where they bloody well like

Reply #252739 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Mal, is that you?

Reply #252741 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

seeing that photo you posted isaac, Trent should have bought his sister as a date for the night - better looking than those blokes

Reply #252744 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Is the Silver Fox the "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!!" guy?

Reply #252754 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Said it before, I'll say it again!!
Only a short time ago, we had NO TEAM!!
Thanks to a few passionate people, we have a team; so if they want to sit on bench, high 5 people, do a dance or whatever, then good on them. Provided they don't compromise the coaching staff, they should do whatever they deem necessary to promote their business.

Reply #252759 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

Yeah he is the "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT GUY" and a great help if you need something

Reply #252763 | Report this post

jersey girl  
Years ago

For once .. we have owners that do not act like the stuck up owners many sporting clubs have. All of the SOS clan are humble - they do not need to sit on the bench and act like owners - they just spend their time like everyone else being passionate about this game. Good on you SOS and GO the Silver Fox.

Reply #252772 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

JT's just got a knack for creating nicknames this week!

Reply #252782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Passion can win a game and when the owners and supporters are passionate this can help lift a team and who knows how far it can take them. With passion shown by everyone we could be there at the end of march

Reply #252785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Passion is one thing - enjoying the spotlight a bit too much is another. I don't see any of the other owners carrying on that way - it's embarrassing. Humble is appropriate for the other owners but not him.

Reply #252796 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

As many of us have said before for the amount of money these guys put in to save a club we all enjoy who are we to question how much they enjoy it. It must be really satisfying and exciting to have success after what they must have gone through so you say humble and I say it's great to see raw emotion. Wanting the spotlight by high fiving fans and showing his passion for the club "YOU IDIOT".

Reply #252799 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

Robbo.....the amount of money these guys have put in to save the club???????
Everyone would be very surprised if they knew how much was actually paid for the team.

Reply #252800 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

NVS - just curious - how exactly do you know how much the club was purchased for?

Reply #252806 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Enjoying the spotlight too much? Humble? Do you even know him? You must be the Fun Police...

Reply #252808 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NVS - it's largely irrelevant given that no one else seemed to be willing to take on the club, right?

The guys are hardly skydiving in under a spotlight to bring the game ball. There's not even a page of owner profiles on the official 36ers site.

Reply #252810 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hey NVS even if they did pay less than we expect did they buy it with money in the bank already because in my experience you purchase a business and put up the capital to run it.

Reply #252814 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

This whole thread is just plain embrassing & I hope the SOS guys don't view it given how much time / effort they have invested into saving our team.

I am all for having passionate owners that show they care.

I bet anoyomous 718 you'd be the first person to complain if the owners fully suited up to each game & sat up high in their boxes. You'd be calling them arrogant & out of touch with the fans - they can't win either way.

Reply #252821 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perhaps a solution is to rename the team to the Adelaide SilverFoxy6ers.

Reply #252824 | Report this post

Ben Fitzsimons  
Years ago

I wish you could all see the decorations that now adorn Dean Parker's Den

Reply #252832 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ben,
You can always take a photo of the den and post

Reply #252833 | Report this post

This thread is just wrong, some of you people have no idea.
I would say all of the owners try to hide from the spotlight.
Go to the Dome 3 hours before the game, that is where you will see them doing the hands on setting up.

Who cares what they paid for the team, who pays if it looses money, they do, who cash flowed the team before the first game, they did.

I personally like the way they are going about it, and the best part of all, they will talk to you, any of them.

They sit in the crowd with us, they dont hide up in their boxes. They work hard, they care and yes they are passionate

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT

Reply #252840 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

how about he puts in a bit more money to sponsor the cheer girls and we have the "SILVER FOXY DANCERS"

Reply #252854 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Actually "you people are scum", I think you have missed the point of the discussion. We all love the SOS members and reckon they are doing a good job.

"Not again!" steps up to the plate at the top of the innings and has a swing at SOS thinking we are heading down the Tigger path where Scotty ends up like Thunderbird Scott Tracy, "Not again!" gets a few curve balls back and then heads off to the bunker 3-0. Struck out off the pitching.

We all appreciate the work that has gone on and what goes on to host a game at the Dome. It is not easy and to do it properly you need passion - which they all have and which I think is good. After all, the last thing we need is an accountant in a beige safari suit running the show!

Reply #252855 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:28 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754