Melvin Corpuscle
Years ago

Violation - clarification

Had a violation called last night that I have NEVER heard of (in 20+ years of playing!). Wondering if it's just a technicality that doesnt get commonly called, or if its actually a rule or not.

On offence, Two of my players do a pick and roll on the foul line. At the same time (and completely unrelated to the play), one of my other players cut from one baseline corner to the other corner, but ran out of bounds in doing this.

We got a bucket on the pick and roll, but it was waved off due to an "out of bounds violation" on the player who cut ... Does this make sense to anyone ?!!

Topic #21501 | Report this topic

TC2  
Years ago

Never heard of it. Was the ref stoned?

(Once this one has been solved, I have one to clarify too)

Reply #255672 | Report this post

phidap  
Years ago

I think there's a rule about deliberately leaving the court to gain an unfair advantage which covers things like you've described. I'm pretty sure the ref was technically correct - sorry :-)

Reply #255675 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Got a warning from a ref(not unusual for me) about going out of bounds under the basket to stop getting called for 3 seconds. He told me he will still call 3 second violation even though I was out of the lane. Silly rule IMO.

Reply #255677 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

What crap.

Reply #255678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its like the umpire that told me players cant stop on a court!!!!!!

Reply #255679 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

If the rule says that you can't do it to gain an advantage, how was the ref correct? What advantage was gained by stepping out? I can understand that you aren't allowed to hide uner some towels on the baseline and burst out when no one is looking but stepping out is not an advantage.

Reply #255680 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

in netball, you can't defend a player out of bounds!

i think there's something in that for everyone...

Reply #255681 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I had a ref the other night that refused to call a 3 second violation on a guy because he wasn't in the play - he said it was a new rule that the count starts as soon as he gets the ball, or he can camp there until he gets the ball but then he has to shoot immediately. Because the guy was setting screens from his position, I said that he was in the play but still no joy from the ref.

Reply #255682 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

The rule is no longer applicable. It was used in situations such as avoiding a three second call by going out over the baseline.

Rule is nmo longer in the book. Darren Ng drew some attention from rival coaches early in the season

Reply #255683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've also had that call about not starting the count until they get the ball - it's absolute rubbish.

Reply #255686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've also had that call about not starting the count until they get the ball - it's absolute rubbish.

Reply #255687 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

The 3 second count does not start till the ball has been inbounded Anonymous. You might want to learn the rules.

Also the 3 second count only starts once the offence has possession of the ball in its fron court.

Reply #255690 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Who said anything about the ball being inbounded? We are talking about a guy not getting called for 3 seconds because HE does not have the ball.

Reply #255691 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Watch NG he does all the time on baseline cut

have seen call once in sydney and nobody could understand - worst still player been bumped out of court - as comes back in catches ball - it was unreal - called a tech of all things - unfair advantage - tech at this stadium was instant sin bin - Weirdest call ever

Reply #255693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a crock.

I thought a lot of base cutters sometimes go out of bounds, foot on the line. Certainly right on border line.

Our Refs in South Aussie call or ignore some strange things and what ticks me off more is that the majority aren't willing to clarify or explain the call to you. They either ignore or tech you.

I think a player has a right to receive an explanation given Refs call things different. Eg one will call soft ones and another will let the physical stuff continue more.

Reply #255694 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I do not understand why you cannot go out of bounds to reset the 3 second rule.
For a start you are the one at the disadvantage. You lose position, have to go out and back in, and you have to make sure both feet are set inbounds before you touch the ball.

Reply #255695 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Sorry misread the post.

You can go outside of the court now to reset the 3 second count the rule has been changed.

The old rule was you were gaining an advantage by avoiding a violation call hence turning the ball over.

Reply #255697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before telling me to learn the rules, where did it state in my post that the ball hadn't been inbounded? Maybe you should learn to read and comprehend.

I was told by a referee that a player would only be called for a 3 second violation if they had the ball (so you could stand there for more than 3 seconds on offence as long as you weren't 'in the play'.

Reply #255702 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

That's the issue I had - define "in the play". If you are setting a screen, you're in the play. If you are calling for the ball, you possibly have a help defender's attention, therefore you're in the play.

Reply #255706 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Maybe you should also read the apology sir

Reply #255707 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

TC2
that is a major issue myself and some other refs at my local stadium have had. Who defines "in the play." I've been told by my UIC (Who is a ABA ref) that it is up to the umpire to decide if a player is "in the play."

Basically we've been told that unless they are clearly not in the play eg just standing there not looking at the ball then we should consider them in they play. This should be easy in most cases for district games because in 99% of cases everyone on the team will have a job to do and therefore should b considered part of the play.

My query would be if someone is considered not to be in play and then becomes part of the play when does the three seconds start? Is it when they become part of the play, or because they have been in the key way for longer then three seconds anyway does it get called straight away?

Reply #255711 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

DJ Rod, netball definitely has a rule that prevents you from deliberately stepping out of bounds.

Darren Ng has been starting his runs from way behind the base line this season to get free on the opposite three point line. I certainly hope I never see the 'unfair advantage rule' called in that situation.

I do recall a college match that got a lot of play where a player chased a ball out of court and and ran out through one set of the stadium doors, in through doors at the other end of the stadium to hook up with a fast break pass to score with a layup. Can't remember the umpires ruling, but that sounds like the sort of situation that calls for the 'unfair advantage'. Presumably this should also apply where you only have four players on court and the fifth player hiding in the stands.

Reply #255714 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

TC2 did you ask your ref if he was stoned?

The only explanation i have!!

Reply #255716 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

I've also asked about this rule. I was told, as above, that if not in the play , there is no 3 seconds call. I was also told that the 3 sec resets when a shot is taken. So I asked the question tongue firmly in cheek, can I send my biggest player to stand under the basket the entire offense and grab offensive rebounds because the 3 sec resets when a shot is taken? Umpire just shrugged his shoulders and the game went on.

Reply #255723 | Report this post

Part 1  
Years ago

Art. 26 Three seconds

26.1 Rule

26.1.1 A player shall not remain in the opponents' restricted area for more than three (3)
consecutive seconds while his team is in control of a live ball in the frontcourt and the game clock is running.

26.1.2 Allowances must be made for a player who:

• Makes an attempt to leave the restricted area.

• Is in the restricted area when he or his team-mate is in the act of shooting and the ball is leaving or has just left the player's hand(s) on the shot for a field goal.

• Dribbles in the restricted area to shoot for a field goal after having been there for less than three (3) seconds.

26.1.3 To establish himself outside the restricted area, the player must place both feet on the floor outside the restricted area.

Reply #255728 | Report this post

Nash2Stoudemire  
Years ago

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been answered, but I think I know what the ref was talking about.

In a game one day we decided to run a trick play. The stadium we were at had a wall running along the baseline of all the courts, but the was a small doorway between each court.

We had a baseline inbound and ran a stack to one far side of the floor.

As we were given the ball, one player sprinted to the corner and out the closest doorway, then ran along the baseline (behind the wall) and popped back onto the court in the opposite corner.

Fair to say he was wide open and he was able to catch the ball and lay it up before anyone new what was going on.

The ref allowed the basket as it wasn't a close game, but we were told after that it would usually be a violation as we used out of bounds to our advantage.

Reply #255729 | Report this post

maude  
Years ago

Regarding the question of 3 seconds, they are sort of correct but not really.

This comes from the principle of advantage/disadvantage in article 47.3 of the rule book. The 3 second count starts as normal for all players, however it is considered incidental, and therefore a 'no-call' until the player camping in the key gains an advantage from being in there. As soon as he gains an advantage after being in there for more than three seconds it is a violation and must be called. So its not a question of the count not starting until he is 'in the play' but more to do with the fact that it would not be considered 'a call' until he/she gained something from it.

The key in regards to 3 seconds extends past the base-line. Therefore you can't go out of bounds to reset 3 seconds, unless it is outside the key way (if you extend the lines marking the key, if that makes sense). As far as I know this hasn't been changed, but I may be wrong. It just isn't called very often.

Also there is a technicality that states that players may not go out of bounds on the base line in order to gain an advantage (not sure what article right at this moment). As far as I know this hasn't been changed either - it just isn't something that most people would call as it is a mere technicality

Reply #255971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you can't set a screen out of court but you are allowed to run out of court

Reply #256210 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:00 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754