Isaac
Years ago

Adelaide Oval to get 50,000-seat facelift

The world famous Adelaide Oval will undergo a $450 million redevelopment which will see the iconic field transformed into a 50,000-seat world-class stadium.

In an agreement encompassing the South Australian Government and the state's football league (SANFL) and cricket association (SACA), which will join to make a new organisation, the proposed stadium will host both cricket and AFL matches.
Full article

Topic #21737 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

It seemed 6 months ago - when West Lakes needed a lot spent on it and a new inner city stadium was about a billion - the way to go.

Reply #259108 | Report this post

yeah great - how about basketball getting some much needed support come on govt support grass roots sports in the community with facilities to benefit many
i reckon basketball be happy with 45 million to kick start 4 - 5 decent community venues - one tenth of the cost and benefit to far more
not happy not interested lost me

Reply #259114 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Vicky Valk needs a facelift.

Reply #259115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About time lol

Reply #259121 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good work to all concerned. It's been a long time coming but we have finally got a deal which makes sense!

They should co-locate a soccer stadium on the north shore of the Torrens as well once the facilities at Hindmarsh Stadium wear out!

My only real question is why does the design show the bridge across the Torrens coming from around the shoreline near where the paddle boats are? The whole point of having an upgraded Adelaide Oval and a bridge is to help get people to and from the ground by public transport - surely primarily the train! Why not take a direct route with the bridge from the north entrance of the station straight across the river?

Reply #259128 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Beantown.... STOP!!!!!! You are using 'logic'.

Politicians don't need logic, whatever floats their boats and looks cool regardless of logic is always the best outcome.

Reply #259137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what TR said ^^

Reply #259138 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Am i the only one that does not like the white tee-pee style pavilions? I guess it works better as a multi-facility but i liked the old style for the cricket ground.

I'm kinda torn on the whole thing, i would love a city stadium but i like the idea of keeping adelaide oval how it used to be. Its a great location though.

They should mothball footy park and combine the funds to get a whole stadium. Guess its hard enough to get where they are at the moment though that might be asking to much.

Reply #259144 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I'd rather stay at AAMI but obviously I'm outweighed on this one so I'll shutup now.

Reply #259147 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Perhaps the 'basketball fraternity' should begin a petition to the government, starting with the district clubs, branching into country, church, schools, social, wherever.
If they have money to spend as they come into an election, we should share in some.
I am well aware that the government bailed the old BASA out of trouble, but the clubs and people below did not cause this dilemna, so why should we suffer simply because we love basketball?

Reply #259149 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

We could completely abandon the soccer world cup bid and give THAT money to BA! Idea of the day right there.

Reply #259150 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This is great news for sports fans. Well overdue.

However I do agree with others in regards to basketball being left on the backburner yet again. Something needs to be done to pursue funding for new venues and upgrading existing ones.

Reply #259158 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ian Mclachlan (SACA President) has been ploughing away at this for years and there's been 'old' funding available for upgrade of Adelaide oval.
He went close to being Prime Minister so he knows politics, linking all the players and the like.
Of course timely for Rann - July election, but still a few years work from Mclachlan leading up to this.
Had one dealing with him (when he was Farmers Federation President) - " I'll fix it " he said, "But I want all the FACTS and no bulls... "

Reply #259159 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good info Camel.

BTW, did wonder if they couldn't have snuck in a few million to add a 5-8,000 seat basketball/netball stadium within the complex.

Reply #259162 | Report this post

muzz  
Years ago

"Hanging Round", I think you'll find the Clubs were a part of the old BASA and definitely played a part in the financial demise of it. I don't think the goverment will do any favours to a privately owned business either!
Isaac, agree with you, they should turn that Adelaide Oval area into a sporting mecca with a Rod Laver / Vodafone arena set up to cater for events, basketball and netball. But as they have just redeveloped the entertianment centre, it won't happen!

Reply #259166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

Liberal design includes an Entertainment Centre which they have put forward as the new shared home of the 36ers, Lightning and Thunderbirds.

Interesting that defence for not investing in basketball is the bail out of BASA. That involved writing off $15m of debt, which was subsidised by $3.65m paid for the 36ers/Dome and $250k paid for the Lightning.

The State Government brought Wayne Jackson in who put along with a sub-committee put together the framework for basketball in this state.

That framework included the privitization of the 36ers, Dome and Lightning.

That framework included the difficult and seemingly unmanageable arrangement between BSA, SA Country, SA Church and the Independants (aka Recreation Centres).

The Government could have built BSA as an SANFL.
- Put BSA in control of the NBL Licence.
- Put BSA in control of the WNBL Licence.
- Given BSA management/control of the Dome but retain ownership (as they have done with Netball, Soccer and now Cricket/footy).
- Structured the organisation so change could be made without having hands tied by an inbalance of control.
- Removed the ridiculous caveat on the Dome so that the venue could become a profitable business.
- Supported the sport with infrastructure such as a Video Screen or Cube (like the one they've paid for at Hindmarsh).

But no the Government promoted private ownership. Now basketball will forever suffer because of it.

Reply #259195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really still hope Liberals win.. i'm sick of Rann and i want that new Stadium and Entertainment centre (IN THE CITY!)

Reply #259210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And bankrupt the state while doing it!!

Reply #259221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be cheaper than the new hospital and redeveloped Adelaide Oval, plus the doctors at RAH are actually against the new hospital because they are replacing some worldclass features. Sure the RAH needs a redevelopment, but don't completely replace it.

Reply #259250 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I dont understand why the Stadium could not be built to incorporate..

1) an 8000 seat ent centre that would be suitable for Bball/netball etc.

2) and this seems to obvious... Make the seating flexible to use it as a Football (soccer) stadium, just needs seating to be able to be added/removed to make it a rectangular ground and suitable for 2022 world cup.

They could then sell off the land at hindmarsh and the dome, recoup some much needed cash to put into the building?

Reply #259311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Land at the Dome is privately owned.

Reply #259317 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

So what does this mean for the new club facility ("The Shed") that the Adelaide Football Club has just built? That was for after games wasn't it? And it's at West Lakes, isn't it? So will the club members who paid for it going to get their value out of it?

What are the time frames before home games for AFC and PAFC get moved to the new Adelaide Oval?

Is investing money tagged for public transport (the West Lakes tram line) better invested in upgrading a public entertainment venue?

Should AFC, PAFC and SACA members just get levies on their membership fees instead of using so much taxpayers' money (you know - like other businesses and clubs have to)?

Will the turning of the first sod/signing of the formal agreement/other photo opportunity coincide with the opening of the next election campaign?

So many questions.

Reply #259387 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754