Isaac
Years ago

Boti: These Sixers aren't too smart

One of Boti's articles today:

YES, the 2009-10 36ers are talented, even if they did lose to Melbourne 84-87 in overtime.

Yes, they can excite and enthuse the steadily returning fan faithful at Brett Maher Court.

Yes, they are in the quagmire for a spot in the most convoluted top four in NBL history.

So, yes, they are a chance at greater glory. But smart?

Hell no.

They sure as hell aren't smart.
Full story

Topic #21777 | Report this topic

HAHA  
Years ago

Ouch.

Reply #259971 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Harsh but True.
Here is one Boti missed. Why call your last time-out with 3.8 seconds left when the other team is at the line with 2 shots to win the game. If he made them both you then have to take the ball from under the basket instead from half court

Reply #259983 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Who could argue?

Reply #259984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Sexy - nailed it!

Reply #259986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the players are only as smart as the coach.....enough said!!!

Reply #259988 | Report this post

Wrong,Wrong,Wrong  
Years ago

Because, under Fiba rules you can't have a time out after the free throws?

Reply #259989 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I wish other teams had media who could accurately breakdown teams' strengths and weaknesses the way Boti does- most other articles written about their home team are either sugary sweet one-eyed or avoid mentioning any flaws in their game on the day.

Reply #259990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I totally agree with Boti. We really miss Mahersy in this type of situation and although we have a talented team, we also have a dumb team. Is that because of the coach or are the players just lacking in Basketball IQ? Perhaps both?

I am still dumbfounded as to why with 12 seconds left on the clock, up by 3, both teams over the foul limit why we wouldnt foul Hodge (average FT shooter at best) bringing the ball up, forcing him to shoot free throws and giving us the ball back? Why did we sit back and let Worthington get the ball at the 3 point line and knock it down to take the game into OT???

I've been saying since half way through last season....Scotty cant coach!! I like the bloke, but he cant coach - sorry Scotty.

Reply #259994 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Big Sexy, please send in your resume to the Sixers. Assistant coach with knowledge of the game is required.

Reply #260000 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Wrong,Wrong,Wrong, - if that is correct I will stand corrected, but I thought I have seen other teams do it.

Reply #260003 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Yes, DUMB springs to mind, but it's not only about basketball nous, it's about clear thinking and composure under intense pressure.
You would expect Gilchrist to step up in these circumstances, but he is maybe one of the worst, also he must have had FT phobia on his mind.
Groves also is too instictive, he doesn't bother to think.
It has to be Ballinger, Holmes, Hill or Ng. Are they capable?
Of these, Ng and Hill are the only two with any ball handling ability and they are not that flash. Who do you think should shoulder the responsibility in crunch time?

Reply #260005 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Your team is only as smart as the structure set by coach or the point guard.
Firstly who noticed Gilly was not himself on Sat.
just walked out on intros no low fives etc and time outs etc on his own a lot and at end after while just run off into change rooms well before the Hodge fiasco had evolved completely.
Gilly started well drove to basket and dished off nicely . But then in second half as another poster raised held onto ball too long and would not drive at basket especially last Qtr with Hodge on him with 4 fouls.
Our best 2 shooters are Ninja and Adam so why arent we screening these guys to get open shots when under pressure like we did with Brett.
A Brad Davidson in place of Groves would have us more organized and structure out there.

Reply #260006 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bretts, if they did want to replace Cortez, Brad Davidson wouldn't be a silly option if he's still match fit - veteran, can handle, can shoot the three and might not break the bank to play the rest of the season.

Big Sexy, not sure about the post-FT-timeout rule, but at the time I assumed the intent was that a timeout just before FT could increase nerves for the player about to take them.

Reply #260012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong wrong wrong - you are wrong. Lets hope you are not a referee...

I saw timeouts AFTER the FTs at the end of games in two ABA Central finals this year. And in one WNBL game this year.

Reply #260034 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Asked a ref and they are confident that, after successful Melbourne FTs, Adelaide would be able to call a time out during that dead-ball situation.

However, had the second FT missed, under the new rules this year, Adelaide would not have been able to call a time out as only the coaches can call for a time out and only during a dead-ball situation.

To not call a time out before the FTs may have been a gamble as well.

There were at least three time outs before FTs in the latter stages of the game that I can recall. One before Hodge shooting (20sec left in regulation), one before Worthington (last second of regulation) and one before Crosswell (43sec left in OT).

In the case of the final regulation time out (mentioned by Big Sexy as 3.8 sec left) with a second left, Worthington missed the second FT so a time out would not have been possible.

Reply #260041 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

That we didn't go at Hodge (who was sitting on four fouls since during about half way through the fourth quarter) and Wortho (picked up his third in third?) boggled the mind.

You could see when Holmes got fouled out for us that we lost a bit of flexibility with line-ups. These are the things you have to consider!

Reply #260045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i am sure the coach could have given instructions on what do do IF x player makes free throw and what to do if x player misses.... a good coach would, thats what i would do ;-)

Reply #260047 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Isaac,
If he made both then we would have been down by 1 and trying to get the ball the length of the court with 3.8 left (we were lucky he missed). At the time I couldn't believe that Scotty called the timeout. Also if he missed the first and hit the second again the timeout would have been better to organise a set play from half court

Reply #260049 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Good points there, Big Sexy. Also a great article by Boti

Reply #260056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ninnis could have had his time out after the foul shots all he would had to do is wait till the foul shots were being administered the scorers would have called the time out on the successful free throw and they would have been able to advance the ball to the half court line as for the time out before the foul shots and that is when you get it, before the foul shots and the ball is available to you only from the foul line. ask when the first shot is being taken and you get it from half court if the second shot hits. only thing is if it misses and it is play on have you lost the opportunity to talk to your players. all well and good if the second shot went in but hindsight is such a wonderful tool.

Reply #260075 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Skip Mills fouled against the Blaze on Fri night thinking they were down 2 when in fact they were up 2. The Blaze made the freebies & Cairns blow a 'must win' & unlosable game. Sorry Boti but that trumps your unsmart 6ers!!

Reply #260082 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Not having a go at him 'cause his game wasn't the worst, but did anybody else notice Gilchrist's body language before the game? During warm ups he just walked throught the lay ups and looked almost bored. Even for the player introductions he just walked out onto the court. I know we have all been caught up in the Hodge saga, but is he a worry or was that his way of pre-game focus???

Reply #260173 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Spinner yes I did as posted 6-7 posts before you and like you would like to know what was going on.
As that is not how been as been real upbeat
Are we not all united again in the team or just another unhappy import.

Reply #260193 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Replacing Cortez with Brad Davidson if he is still match fit would be a good idea.He's very experienced and can shoot.

Reply #260226 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Thanks BTM........anybody else with a comment on Gilchrist's body language and general percieved attitude?

Reply #260228 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754