MadeInThe'Laide
Years ago

White Men Can't Jump... Or Play in the NBA.

Interesting piece from ESPN360 Outside the Lines:

Topic #21801 | Report this topic

MACDUB1  
Years ago

Very Interesting, thanks for posting that!
I think GM's and coaches need to get over a players race and their athleticism and pick them on skill, if they have alot of it. Been quick and fast is a major aspect of the NBA Game, but its not the only thing. GMs and Coaches don't take into consideration that a players experience or his basketball IQ can somewhat compensate for their lack of lateral speed. At the end of the day, athleticism is one aspect of the game, out of many.
Whats interesting is that GMs and Coaches don't pick White Americans who lack athleticism, yet they pick Black Americans who often lack technical skill. Its true..teams still wanted Shaq even though he couldn't shoot free-throws or that his fitness was not up to par. Teams still wanted Rondo even though he can't make an open 3 to save his life. Teams wanted Telfair and he had limited skill if not for his quickness and crossover ability.
I guess what im saying is that everyone has deficencies and weaknesses to their games; But it seems as though GM's and Coaches don't care how bad those are in Black players because they are still loterry picks. On the other hand, white players who are lacking athleticism are shunned immediately even though they are generally better shooters, passers and more fundamentally sound thann african-american players.
Thank God for Ryan Anderson..The living symbol that a White 6"11 basketball who cannot jump, can still compete in the NBA (He's doing a damn good job too)

Reply #260484 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

Rockets have a few white lads playing & are goin ok...
Including Aussie Anderson.

Reply #260491 | Report this post

Ballon boy  
Years ago

Dirk Nowitzki anyone??

Reply #260498 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

They are talking about White Americans

Reply #260501 | Report this post

nash_2_stoudemire  
Years ago

Claiming discrimination on this issue is an absolute slap in the face to those who have struggled with real discrimination issues.

Be grateful that your skin colour doesn't stop you from getting a job, a college scholarship, a mortgage or apartment or even into certain public places.

Reply #260502 | Report this post

Titan 96  
Years ago

Its easier to teach a player skills than it is to teach a player athleticism. Although both can be done - Id say that it is much harder to improve athleticism than skill

Reply #260506 | Report this post

MACDUB1  
Years ago

nash_2_stoudemire, I don't believe that anyone is claiming discrimination. I think the video just points out that White Americans are becoming less common in the NBA.
I think, however, that its about time the world realises that racial discrimination can occur to any race. People have this perception that no one is "racist against whites" and that blacks/hispanics/asians are only victims of discrimination.
The video uses factual evidence, not opinion, therefore it isnt likely to reinforce a discriminatory theme.
Titan 96 sums it all up by saying that Skill is easier to teach than athleticism..With that in mind, I suppose the likes of Rondo and Telfair will have an opportunity to work on their shooting etc. Whereas, a guy like Kyle McLarney may take an age to work on his athleticism or he may never. I suppose that Shaq has been working on his free throws for 18 years now..So maybe for some, Titan 96, Skill is harder to teach! LOL :P

Reply #260510 | Report this post

sares  
Years ago

But sometimes no matter the skill or intellect you can still get beat by natural athleticism.........all it takes is half a step....

Reply #260514 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

The NBA rules are made for athletic guys. IMO the more technical guys would do a lot better if the game was called like international ball.

Reply #260670 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Manu Ginobali ???

Reply #260683 | Report this post

MACDUB1  
Years ago

Yeah, I agree Skin.
Sebastian, the video is referring to White Americans e.g. David Lee, Kirk Hinrich etc.
Ginobilli is an international player

Reply #260735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754