LC
Years ago

2010 World Championships Draw

The draw for the 2010 World championships in Turkey is set to be undertaken on Tuesday, 15th December at 11:30am (10:30 CET) - Turkey time (never thought I weould put those two words together!).

The draw will be carried out according to the following seedings:

Line 1 USA, Argentina, Spain, Greece
Line 2 Serbia, Slovenia, France, Turkey
Line 3 Brazil, Puerto Rico, Canada, Australia
Line 4 Croatia, Russia, Lithuania, Germany
Line 5 New Zealand, China, Iran, Angola
Line 6 Jordan, Lebanon, Tunisia, Ivory Coast

The seedings for FIBA competitions always follow the same basic principles, which are as follows:

- The groups of the first round are balanced in terms of sporting competitiveness.
- The draw ensures that in each group, there is a balanced representation from the five continents. In the case of the draw for the 2010 FIBA World Championship, that will result in having a maximum of 3 European teams in any one group and a maximum of 2 Americas teams in any one group.

The draw for the 2010 FIBA World Championship can be followed live on turkey2010.fiba.com

Topic #21856 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

hopefully australia get greece, slovenia, croatia, iran and jordan in there group

Reply #261365 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'd be happy to have any of the top 4 ranked teams in our group, however would then rather Slovenia or Croatia out of the next 4.

I feel relatively comfortable in the belief Australia at full strength could well handle the rest from line 4 onward.

Reply #261368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All teams from line 4 will give us major troubles. I think we are on a par with those teams. Germany, with Nowitzki and Kaman up front could hurt us.

We need Mills hitting from the outside so teams do not do a 'Corey Williams sag' on him. Newley and Ingles to be creative and aggressive. Andersen to be hitting the pick and pops with Patty. Bogut to come to play unlike the last Olympics. And players coming in aggressive off the bench. EG Dave Barlow, Mark Worthington (Has been hesitant at International level), Matt Nielsen, Nathan Jawai, Adam Gibson

Reply #261397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the Euroleague MVP candidate Alec Maric??

Reply #261407 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

While you could pick the majority of the players in the World Cup team, its abit early to say for certain some others would be selected.

Im sure Brown will select 1 or 2 surprise members

Reply #261413 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Good one LC!

Ahh... Gilgli one of my favorite Ben Affleck movies EVER!

Though i worry about Brown - the Boomers really need to show something next year, since they should be coming round as a team. I hope the dismissal of Goorjian doesn't end up derailing the good things we saw at times in the Summer Olympics...

Reply #261433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Group A- Argentinia, Serbia, Australia, Jordan, Angola and Germany.
Group B- USA, Slovenia, Brazil, Croatia, Iran and Tunisia.
Group C- Greece, Turkey, Puerto Rico, Russia, China and Ivory Coast.
Group D- Spain, France, Canada, Lithuania, New Zealand and Lebanon.

Reply #261462 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

i think that is a pretty good draw for us. We can easily get a top 2 spot in our pool.

NZ have it pretty tough with France Lithuania and Spain

Reply #261465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can't believe that guy talking up the Lebanese team a few weeks ago was right.. seems ridiculous how the Dominican Republic team didn't get a guernsey for the tournament given the amount of talent they have

Reply #261473 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think that draw looks pretty good. We get to play an ageing yet talented Argentinian team, A youthful Serbian team, weak Jordan and Angolan teams, and a German team that relies on just 2 players and were found at in Beijing as a result.

Top 2, although still difficult, should be achieveable as DJ Rod pointed out.

FIBA Draw Results: http://linky.com.au/ca6lv

FIBA Link - Analysis of Draw: http://linky.com.au/nsvzu

Reply #261480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754