Camel 31
Years ago

Tigers v Hawks Boxing Day

Anstey started - jump ball won.
There was a rumor number24 was cut , but looks like he's on the court - wait a minute.
number 24 turnover. Yes he's playing.

Topic #21936 | Report this topic

Bill  
Years ago

Nice one Al. Now that Anstey's back.
Johnson take a seat!!!!

Reply #262606 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Is McKee out for this one?

Reply #262607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think I heard them say McKee hurt his back in the warm up also they spoke to a melbourne player who said that there is no harmony in the team and if they don't start winning, some players will be cut and Gaze said it would most likely be the import option hence the Hodge rumour

Reply #262608 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

No McKee, Saville 3 fouls, Gruber shooting 3's what chance Hawks?

Reply #262609 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Brave, brave effort form Hawks.
Few too many TO's, dismal FT shooting and Anstey blitz in 3rd costly.

Reply #262610 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

no24 gave them a bit of chance with poor shooting and turnovers, but Hawks missed FTs lost it in the end.

Reply #262611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And a healthy dose of home town calls!

Reply #262612 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

No joke anon, Ray Hunt'll do that.

Ty McKee would've switched that result.

That acting performance by Anstey was just embarrassing! He was the difference though, just kept hitting incredibly low-percentage attempts. What can you do? He had a (rare) good night.

Judas was a joke as usual. Does anyone else suspect that 'broken wrist' is just chafing?

Reply #262615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A rare good night from Anstey? I take it you haven't seen him the past few seasons. This was his first good game back but he's only played a few games after a lot of time off.

Reply #262617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodge is just awful.

He could at least pretend to be playing some sort of D.

Reply #262618 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Anon, I meant a rare good shooting night. Generally (and not just this year) he just jacks up a bunch of low-percentage threes in the hope that one night he'll get on a streak. Tonight was that night.

Reply #262619 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Just watched the last quarter of the game (partly because I just go in from work, partly because Gaze commentating on Tigers games is intolerable) - did the Hawkies get ANY calls at all during the game?! Every call (and there were quite a few) in the last five minutes was ALL Melbourne. Ugh.

The biggie was the Hodge foul on Martin during a fastbreak. Refs shoulda let it play, or given Hodge an unsportsmanlike.

Reply #262620 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Oh, and Trigger shoulda been given hsi first free throw again at the end, with Anstey waving his hands in the air and all. Not very sportsmanlike.

Reply #262621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They pointed out Damien Ryan at the game last night and mentioned he'd been training with the tigers. I think he'd be a great fit for them. I also wonderwhich import they're considering bringing in.

Reply #262623 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Tigers finally win, however I reckon they are set to lose Daniel Johnson all due to Westover and how he plays Anstey and the rest of thevteam. In fact the Tigers could lose a lot of their younger talent as they just don't see enoug court time IMO. All is not well at Tigerland despite the win yesterday. Lot's of Tiger talk of a lot of dissatisfaction with Westover as coach...off-season changes are brewing...

On Johnson yesterday, he played just 12 minutes for the entire game, going a perfect 5/5 from the field for 10 points and 2 rebounds with no turnovers.

He would be a great pickup for any other NBL team next season. As would Bathie and Lang as well...

Reply #262624 | Report this post

tipo  
Years ago

how can it be "let it play" or "unsportsmanlike"??

i didnt see the play - but the above quote seems wierd - can you explain for me?

Reply #262627 | Report this post

AO  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson needs to go. Yes he can shoot but he cant play Defence at all. He was on the floor for too long at the beginning of the forth and almost cost them the lead.

His game is really frustrating and he has a long way to go to become the Chris Anstey of the NBL..

Reply #262630 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

@tipo - Fair query.

Inside the last 2-3 minutes, the Hawks had a 3 on 1 fastbreak. Rhys Martin had the ball with Hodge in close proximity to him, and the two other Hawks were in clear space to the basket.

Hodge fouled Martin at halfway just before he got a pass off to his wide open team mates. It was clear what Hodges intention was (ie: ot a legit foul). It would have made sense to let the play go and allow the Hawks an open basket they deserved, or penalise Hodge and give the Hawks two freebies plus possession. Campbell was giving it to the monopoly man afterwards, who retorted to whatever Campbell was saying by calling him a liar.

Reply #262632 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Why oh why did Saville not get the ball down the stretch.
I'm sure he would have got them home.
I think in the end though the difference was the bleeding in the 3rd quarter.
Although they got back into it, they had to be perfect not just good.
If McKee is out for weeks rather than days this could spell the end of their run for the playoffs.

Reply #262637 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I read that the homestyle reffing impressed Melbourne's Home-Style cook programme enough to invite them on the show.
While here Luke Schenscher impressed our camping programme.
The NBL has taken another backward step, being sued by th 3 blind mice for breach of copyright.
The alleged infrigement involves the likeless of The Three Blind Mice.

Reply #262639 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Campbell was giving it to the monopoly man afterwards, who retorted to whatever Campbell was saying by calling him a liar."

The Monopoly Prick said "I can only call unsporstmanlike if it happens as soon as the offensive player initiates the run, not once they're already off". Matty said "It was 4 on none, I would've had a dunk", Monopoly: "No you're lying there Matty".

Well actually Monopoly man, he would've had a dunk. In fact, he DID have a dunk. A split second after the whistle blew he slammed it down uncontested.

Reply #262642 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Also, excuse the double-post but I agree with AO on Daniel Johnson. Not necessarily that he needs to go, but he's a terrible rebounder for a guy his size and is pretty much just a statue on D. I don't see any real problem with the distribution of minutes between Anstey and him at the moment.

Reply #262643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ averages most offensive boards per game in the league.... Can't be that terrible

Reply #262646 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

As far as the USF goes, there was no doubt that Hodge fouled him to stop the break but he disguised it very well as a play at the ball. Perhaps its time the NBL institutes an automatic two shots if a person is fouled on a fast break.

Reply #262649 | Report this post

KEVY47  
Years ago

Glad i missed the game, my TV may not have survived.

Not very often supporters from other team (here and on ozhoops) say one team was completely screwed.

Hawks did well considering Ty's re-aggravating the back injury he got against Cairns last week.

Shot 62%... wow

Free Throws costly again.

Oh, and you'd think the post game recap on NBL.com.au would mention the little fact that one of the few MVP candidates DIDNT PLAY!!!!!!!

BUSH LEAGUE!!!

Still angry they've used my images uncredited after cutting off watermark.

Reply #262650 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"DJ averages most offensive boards per game in the league.... Can't be that terrible"

I'd hate to see his D rebs then.

Reply #262652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Julius has what is commonly referred to as a "wankers cramp", it will be one of those life long injuries that flares up and will probably never go down,.. along with his head. That is all. Thankyou.

Reply #262682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definate home town calls- and the behavior of some of the players leaves a lot to be desired - what does this teach junior players - who were at the game.
JH should have been USF- any time a player is grabbed in a fast break it is USF -
It is a joke for people to pay to watch that sort of spectacle
Games need to be officiated consistantly for the whole match not in parts.

Reply #262688 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754