Anon
Years ago

State teams?

Anyone know when States name their U20's?

Topic #21948 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vics are waiting to see if injuries settle. Not very strong.

NSW have named theirs and look good.

Reply #262725 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

qld's should be very strong again

how do these teams go with their players being in college teams? I can think of a fair few qlders who are in the states now.

Reply #262729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vics not very strong? haha

Reply #262790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, Vics not strong. What you on?

QLD will be strong, as will the SA team. NSW will be in contention again.

I beleive that SA is announcing the team in the next week.

Reply #262823 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

why do SA announce the teams so late?

Reply #262824 | Report this post

Titan 32  
Years ago

The sad fact is (injuries aside). If Victoria did something unusual and selected on talent alone and sent two state teams it would be so they could face of in the finals.

Reply #262831 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

how do they select if its not talent based

Reply #262836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surnames

Reply #262842 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

ahh I see...so there is a small problem in the vic metro ways?

Reply #262843 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Titan,

how do you explin them losing to SA in the U18's in their pool game 2 years ago?

Reply #262866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ahh lets not get into that..2 years ago is 2 years ago..

we live for today and learn from yesterday...

Reply #262872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 years ago !!!!

What happened there ? Didn't they win the thing 3 years running ?

Reply #262873 | Report this post

Titan 32  
Years ago

Vics probably lost because they don't pick the best players, it's a well know fact here. They tell you themselves prior to every try out. Whether it be State or ECC or ITC that they pick who they feel will work into their teams regardless of how well your child may have performed. That they pick on team dynamics or who they feel may have future potential regardless if they have performed poorly or not? The perfect scenario to push who ever they want. Thats why so many good players don't even bother trying out any more. 99% of teams are generally picked prior to try outs and everybody knows it.

Reply #262874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Titan,

What is your suggestion to fix it then. Only 10 players get to play but obviously you have a better idea. They won it dumb ass

Reply #262886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems to be saying that the Vics could pick another 2 or 3 state teams that would beat the rest of the country's teams and is probably right. Also saying that despite the Vics wining, they are wining with teams that are nepotistically selected and that kosher selected teams would do equally well if not better.

Who knows - who cares because any athlete male or female with ball handling talent needs to pursue a sport that is mainstream in Australia where they can earn a living. Any ideas that basketball offers a career for youngsters is misleading. The WNBL pay less than labourers wages and the existence of the NBL is year to year proposition.

If you love the sport, play it when you can and fit it around your major sport. If you are an under 6'7 male or under 6' female redirect your efforts to sports where talent and skill are as valuable as height and save yourself pain.

Basketball is an elite sport for a very few elite people of exceptional height and it is not a sport the majority of the sporting population have the basic necessity, height, to play. So play for the love of it and find your niche in regular sports that, despite tall being an asset, also have room for the gifted collingwood 6'.

Reply #262887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given that it seems teams are pre picked, can you let us know who has made the U/16 and 18 teams please. It will save a lot of people time and give the coaching staff extra time to train their teams

Reply #262888 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

the teams should be known by now surely...

Reply #262890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#262887, I find it peculiar that you equate playing a sport to earning money or a career. Countless people in this country play sport at the highest level they possibly can not for money....

You say;
"If you love the sport, play it when you can and fit it around your major sport."

This makes no sense whatsoever. Basketball is simply the best game on the planet. It is perfectly natural to play the game - be it on the basketball parks, lunchtimes at stadiums, social comps, district, state, college or whatever because its such an exciting, intense, demanding, athletic game.

All the best with the sport you are best suited to! - Enjoy your botchee!!!!

Reply #262895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least I got da balls

Reply #262897 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Do I see some Victorian in fighting here boys...

2010's gunne be a shitload better than I thought....:)

Reply #262902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love someone to NAME any player that could/should have played in an Under 16, 18 or 20 Vic Metro side in the last three years (2007, 2008, 2009) and justify their answer.

Because they have WON the last 3 Under 18s, so you really can't complain there.

The 20s last year lost to a pretty stacked QLD side that finally lived up to its potential (Page, Salecich, Young, Hill, Bairstow, Hodgson, Motum all AIS athletes). Last year's 16s lost to a great Vic Country side.

What are people complaining about?

Reply #262903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a no win situation to argue.

I have watched VIC selections for the past three years and will agree some players miss out that should be playing.

Lucky for the depth of players in VIC the coaches dont get found out.

All coaches suck up to Wignall and the other Basketball Victorian wankers!!! It's a process around ITC,ECC and other money paid camps.

Lets just agree BV have had some good kids come through. I'm glad QLD won the 20's and I can assure you the VIC's might stuggle again this year missing some good kids from Girls and Boys.

If Cambage and Jarry play it's over and girls are a certainty but boys can and should be beaten.

I'm not a fan of ITC....ECC or state processes.

It should be the Associations making the money and attracting the players and coaches not 5am sessions and camps and trips away with the bounty being state.

We will then find the best coaches and best developed players.

Reply #262906 | Report this post

Juno 46  
Years ago

You hit the nail on the head Anon. Change is definately needed!!!

Reply #262908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Name the coaches and step up to the plate if you think you can do better. Most people never lose games from the stands

Reply #263029 | Report this post

Oberon 61  
Years ago

everyone knows there is a lot of politics and unfortunately back scratching as well as nepitism in basketball, but it seems like a no win situation. Like politicians, you finally get rid of one lot to have another lot equally as bad or if not worse take their place. The Vic coaches have more than enough experience and game smarts no arguement, just some of the decisions within the selection process can be more than questionable. But to question is Taboo.
I am sure this probably happens in every state. Realistically state is good for the kids that are looked after, but only a small drop in the ocean once seniors come along.

Reply #263051 | Report this post

Just Interested  
Years ago

Who tried out for Under 20 teams?

Reply #263200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just the kids that were picked - closed shop

Reply #263220 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

There's no way in hell that Cambage or Jarry will play. Look at when the 20's tournament is; right in the middle of the WNBL finals. There's no way that Bulleen will let their All-Star center and best hustle player go to a tournament where its certain that they will be gunned at by opposition teams with no other means to stop them. And thats not even mentioning the fact that they'll probably miss an all important finals match.

That being said, it'll be an interesting test of Titan's Victorian hypothesis. Because it's been Jarry and Cambage that have carried their team at the championships, and that age group has won the title every year they've competed.

All states have to submit their list of 10 by some stage this week, so we'll know soon. Im interested to see how many country players are able to cleave a place for themselves in the team. There is probably some sort of obligation to have one or two in the team, but when Titan claims that the Victorians have enough depth to fill 2/3 teams it makes me wonder whether the country players will be more of a hindrance then anything, especially as that years country squad are nothing special.

I think that the Vic women will still win the thing, with NSW as a close second.

Reply #263734 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Dexter Kernich-Drew - 6foot 7 Youth league player of the the year in 2009. Did not make u16, u18, u20 state team. Best potential athlete in age group and will be the only one that plays at high d1 college level in the US, has the physical capabillty and size to play in the NBA. The State process is f--ked as we are simply not developing the high end talent and just trying to win age group gold medals..We need coaches in the system that can manage personallities and get the best out of our athletes not ones that are hitler types that have 50s ideology and stuck in there ways on how the game should be played. VIC Metro has currently not 1 player in the Australian national mens team and if we continue the way we are going it will stay that way for many years to come..

Reply #263947 | Report this post

Just Interested  
Years ago

SA Under 20 ??????????
The players know why can't we?

Reply #263956 | Report this post

IBM  
Years ago

SA Under 20 Men
Jan Warbout (Sturt)
Brandon Brine (Southern)
Nathan Spehr (Sturt)
Tom Daly (Sturt)
Corey Maynard (Sturt)
John Marriot (Sturt)
Lachlan Prest (South)
Peter Hooley (Norwood)
Josh Bond (West)
Rhys Elliott (North)

Tony Casella (Head Coach)
Michael Humphrys (Assistant Coach)
Judi Roberts (Team Manager)

Reply #263978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandon brine (southern) really, I heard he is playing in a blue uniform these days

Reply #263996 | Report this post

mayhem  
Years ago

Interestingly the Vic womens 20s coach has picked her own daughter in the team? Funny enough she has never made a team before... I'm still laughing

Reply #264143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA Teams have been announced on the SBL site.

Women

Lauren Berryman (Stirling)
Ebony Antionio (Willetton)
Shani Amos (Wanneroo)
Tahli Raftery (Wanneroo)
Lucy Muir (Cockburn)
Megan Lee (Wanneroo)
Corry Wellsteed (Wanneroo)
Alex Kerr (Southwest)
Jacinta Bourne (Redbacks)
Jasmine Hooper (Willetton)

Shani Webb (Reserve - East Perth)
Rebecca Preston (Reserve - Southwest)

Head Coach - Glenn Clarke (Willetton)
Assistant Coach - Donna Cuperus (Wanneroo)
Assistant Coach - Craig Clatworthy (Perry Lakes)
Manager - Sue McKenzie (Willetton)

Men

Robert Cassir (Perth)
Adam Nash (Lakeside)
Rory Pekin (Perry Lakes)
Lewis Thomas (Stirling/AIS)
Jarrad Jackson (Perth)
Jackson Hussey (Cockburn/AIS)
Benjamin Murphy (Wanneroo)
Joshua Johnson (Willetton Tigers)
Igor Nujic (Cockburn)
Jeremy Paull (Southwest)

Chudier Pal (Reserve - Rockingham)
Nicholas Clarke (Reserve - Willetton)
Mitchell Clarke (Reserve - Willetton)
Sean Gilmore (Reserve - Stirling)
Blake Wilhelm (Reserve - Wanneroo)

Head Coach - Brad Kidner (Wanneroo)
Assistant Coach - Trevor Pugh (Wanneroo)
Assistant Coach - Mal Davis (Perry Lakes)
Manager - Barry Hutchins (Wanneroo)

Reply #264149 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

How's it interesting?

Reply #264150 | Report this post

Jimmy Recard  
Years ago

mayhem

Where can I see the vic womens and mens team lists?

Reply #264158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dexter Kernich - Drew wont play at a decent D1 college to save his own life.

Can't defend his own shaddow!!!

Very Athletic and as soft as a dipped biscuit in your coffee.

He plays at Waverly as it's easy and he gets away with street basketball crap. He is at best a low small D2 player.

Wake up with your best potential players!!! Drmic and Iggy are the only 2 at D1 standrd and Iggy is on the blindfold path to Serbia Euro ball where he will get eaten and spat out, Drmic will go to a good D1 on the West Coast.

Reply #264468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic State womens 20's coach needs to explain her selection process.
Picking your own Daughter when she is clearly off the mark!!!!

What is BV doing!!!!!!

Unfair and always going to happen.

I feel for the ladies who got cut in an unfair and bias selection phase.

To think the coach was going to be a part of Basketball Australia's Opals team

What a Joke but a clear vision of it's not what you know it's who you know!!!

Bad Call BASKETBALL VICTORIA

Reply #264471 | Report this post

I bet  
Years ago

re: State teams?
SA Under 20 Men
Jan Warbout (Sturt).................5..sturt..good
Brandon Brine (Southern)...........(4). Should
Nathan Spehr (Sturt)................2..sturt
Tom Daly (Sturt)....................1..sturt..good
Corey Maynard (Sturt)...............3..sturt..good
John Marriot (Sturt)................4..Sturt..maybe
Lachlan Prest (South)
Peter Hooley (Norwood).............
Josh Bond (West)...................(2)
Rhys Elliott (North)...............(2)

Tony Casella (Head Coach)...............STURT
Michael Humphrys (Assistant Coach)......STURT
Judi Roberts (Team Manager)

"Lets guess the starting 5"

Reply #264478 | Report this post

Titan 32  
Years ago

Exactly anon. Now you know what i am talking about. People are meant to be put in these positions to find and develope the best possible talent at their disposal. Does this happen, i and many many others don't think so.If it was line ball, then my opinion wouldn't matter. Unfotunately it is all too obvious. Other Vic teams to be announced after ECC. Let's see if i am right - other girls 18's mainly dandenong - dandenong coach. 16's mixture dandenong, melb, bulleen with couple of others - coach ex dandenong, now melb with bulleen connections. Boy's, just got to look. People who get offended by this, sorry but that's reality,suck it in, we'll see if i am right - hopefully not. Until the other states pose more of a threat in junior competition, vics will always be able to get away with what ever they want.

Reply #264480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a lot of people on this site about talking about the vics are ones that have missed selection, have kids who have missed selection or coach these kids without giving to anyone except THEIR players.

Hate the ITC, ECC Aust program all you like but get off your fat arses and do something for someone elses kids where you may, just may have to be able to deliver a skill base training rather than a phone call to the bettr players from other clubs and assemble a group of kids who may win, but never, ever ever get better or understand the game..... just dunk your life away until the next athlete comes along and takes away that option.

I hear a lot of this, but I do not see many coaches willing to spend their own time and money travekking, working out of hours to get junior players better that do not actually play at their club. Hell here is a concept, giving something back to the sport !!!!! other than your own damn back yard. This goes for all states, and coaches who bag anyone out there trying to help players from all clubs... Easy to bag, get involved and see if you have the mocha to help out others.

Reply #264569 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I bet,
Do I denote a touch of sarcasm there?

As a point of interest, how many of those U20s at Sturt started at the club?

Reply #264574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom, Jan and John all played under 10s. Corey moved from Melbourne in bottom age 18s. Nathan moved top age 18s. Brandon just moved.

Reply #264576 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

OK, so 3/6 from juniors and 2/6 moved to club. Hardly that criminal is it?

It's more of a reflection on the good coaching programme at Sturt rather than egotistical parents

Reply #264577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wipe your nose Jack

Reply #264585 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

has the vic womens team been selected yet? if so who made it?

Reply #264586 | Report this post

xxx  
Years ago

At least 6 of the sa players play ABA you would think that the starting 5 would be from that group of players.....

Reply #264595 | Report this post

Anonnnnny  
Years ago

Vic State under 20s Woman is -

Alice Kunek
Morgan Pink
Lucy Dawson
Alex Sheedy
Ash Stonehouse
Cortney Williamson
Nicole Zammit
Ash Hirons
Maddi Garrick
Rebecca Cole

Reply #264606 | Report this post

WA  
Years ago

Where are Creed and Harrington?

Reply #264616 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Harrington is probably tied up with Bendigo Spirit?

Reply #264636 | Report this post

Anonnnnny  
Years ago

Creed is out with a bad injury.
Harrington, wnbl commitments.

Reply #264637 | Report this post

WA  
Years ago

What is her injury?

I heard some of the picked team are also injured?

Reply #264642 | Report this post

Anonnnnny  
Years ago

Creed has hurt her leg.

Yes, Sheedy is apparently injured.

Reply #264692 | Report this post

GETSUM  
Years ago

Titan & 471
Surely u can understand a coach has his/her own style and will select a team to suit!
I've no idea who the 20's coach is but, no doubt she (as i read above) would know her own kids strengths/weakness better than any. And that would have been, I imagine, her toughest decision!
As for 18 womens I heard him with my own ears, spell out exactly what he was using as the basis of his selections. Yes there are alot of Dand but they just happen to have some seriously talented talls and a very clever guard just look at the AIS roster! 16's adding in a couple of others(Nunawading, D.V) you've got nearly all the top teams right there. No brainer!
Good players will always miss out simply because they do not suit the coaches own style. those players who miss out should have someone in their corner looking over the feed back sheets with them, reassuring them that it's not just about their talent.
The true tragedy, is THAT PARENT who deludes their child into thinking "I was robbed". They may be great offensively, but how about a bit of running in D! Even pass the ball you have the talls how bout a dish, vise versa kick it back out to a great outside shooter. Think about it!

Reply #264699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sheedy injured her thumb at training last week. Will recover in a week or so. That is all.

Reply #264703 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Come now, the only reason why there are so many Dandenong girls in the U18 squad is that they are all under the belief that if they don't flock to the coaches home club then they won't get a look in.

Who cares if its true that you're more likely for a spot if you play for Dandenong, we'll never know because there is an ingrained belief in the Victorian junior program that you HAVE to move clubs in order to make a team. We will never have the chance to see what would happen if there was no club bias, because there aren't many players who are willing to find out what would happen if they don't move clubs.

Reply #264724 | Report this post

Just Interested  
Years ago

SA Women's Under 20 Team List?

Reply #264736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA womens team looks reasonably strong. Should push top 3

Reply #264737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just interested

The team hasn't been announced yet. It has been pick and are training though.

It seems to me to be a little guard heavy again. dont know how all will play at once, could cause a few problems.

Reply #264738 | Report this post

Just Interested  
Years ago

Four weeks to tournament and no announcement what are they waiting for?

Reply #264743 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

SA Girls I think?

Ireland
Minear
Seekamp
Hooley
Cutri
Spencer
Stabile
Boothy
Walker-Roberts
Seebohm

Reply #264744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That team, if correct, is not a third place team if the others are fair dinkum

Reply #264766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Vic 20's team will get beaten especially after the coach picked her own daughter.

Think it's funny.

bad commentator and bad selector. True ABC television magic

Reply #264769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sheedy always injured with an arm chair ride as per usual.

She isn't that good anyway and cant tuff out the hard stuff

SEABL player at best!!!

Reply #264771 | Report this post

Who is the Vic Women's coach? There's nothing on the BV website.

Reply #264772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lori Chizik

Reply #264773 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Chizik's a better commentator then that idiot Darren Boyd or whatever his name is.

Reply #264860 | Report this post

Ron Burgundy  
Years ago

I think the Vics look pretty strong this year considering no Cambage, Jarry and Allen. It would be nice if there clubs could release or the WNBL have a 10 day break to allow those kids to hit the floor. Although i would of thought Dandenong could release Allen as she doesn't seem permanent on there roster.

As for Coach Chisik, it looks like she has put a contingency plan for when the big breaks down. We never were able to do a scout on Pink (any relation??) as she was always injured, has anyone seen her play? Vics still have 6 girls that have been at a junior camp, thats pretty impressive, And i've seen those kids compete at those camps, it'll be tough for the reds to bring home the gold.

Apparently Sheedy has been at the Tute for a trial, can anyone confirm, sounds like Phill and the staff believe she is more than just an arm chair ride!!

Whats Kunek been doing since she left the tute, i think thats the best chance for us if she's out of touch. Williamson tore us apart as a bottom ager in ballarat aswell.

Im glad im not coaching against the Vics, they will be tough especially if they rotate Sheedy, Stonehouse, Dawson, Kunek and even Garrick in the post/perimeter. i'd go to a zone.

Well you stay classy San Diego!!!

Reply #264983 | Report this post

WAKE UP?  
Years ago

vic state team goes 6 deep and hopefully the starting 5 is picked based on the best players. Vics talls will not be able to get out of there own way and should only hit the court if desperately needed. My starting 5 would be as follows.
1. Cortney Williamson
2. Bec Cole
3. Ash Stonehouse
4. Alex Sheedy
5. Alice Kunec

with maddy garrick and nicole zammit mixing through the 2-3 positions and sheedy and stonehouse through the 3-4 spots.

feedback on your starting 5 would be intersting to hear?

-interesting to note jess guela, a player that has not missed a state side be it bottom or top age also missed out funny how politics work maybe that was the daughters position?? tis tis BV i think someone needs to wake up and smell the roses??

Reply #264993 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wakeup, you are on the money!!

The coach's daughter will be the starter for the 2 position as Cole is at the AIS and this will be the excuse for her not to start as not around for trainings or practice matches, very devious. Writing is on the wall, would love to know the other girls dropped to get the daughter in the team.

Politics at work, don’t understand how BV could give a parent a state team regardless of credentials, farcical to say the least.

Reply #264998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jess *Gourley could play on any states roster as starting point guard. Its just a shame that she's in the same state as Williamson, both of whom have remarkably similar physical build and are evenly matched in most respects. I guess Williamson must've done something right at tryouts to take Gourley's spot.

Reply #265017 | Report this post

WAKE UP?  
Years ago

understandable and im not saying williamson should not be in the side but surely there is room on that team for both? zammit could push to a 2 spot leaving the two best point guards in the state backing each other up? what a force and a hard match up up for an opposition point guard to have two class acts that never stop running at 110%?

Reply #265023 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The Coach needed to make room for the daughter and Gourley was axed for a player not up to National standard. Williamson/Gourley would have made the games very interesting for match ups. Agree Zammit as good at the 2 position.

Reply #265046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damm Wake Up, South Australia's girls only goes two deep and your complaining

Reply #265076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha yeah, funny how you are complaining about the Vic's depth when they are [and always have been] the deepest State in Aus.

Reply #265083 | Report this post

hazard ahead  
Years ago

I think that most from VIC are shocked that she could be so obvious and had hoped that she wouldn't do it! Sad also for the daughter as now no-one thinks that she could have made the team legit! But anyone who knows anything about the coach new that she was going to do it and she was smart enough to cut kids early in the process who posed a threat. VIC will win and it will be all forgotten just like everything else at BVic.

Reply #265302 | Report this post

hazard ahead  
Years ago

I think that most from VIC are shocked that she could be so obvious and had hoped that she wouldn't do it! Sad also for the daughter as now no-one thinks that she could have made the team legit! But anyone who knows anything about the coach new that she was going to do it and she was smart enough to cut kids early in the process who posed a threat. VIC will win and it will be all forgotten just like everything else at BVic.

Reply #265303 | Report this post

hazard ahead  
Years ago

Reply #265304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any actual confirmation on SA's womens team yet?

Reply #265387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only whats on the BSA site. U20 women should be a good competitive team.

Reply #265439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#439.... they could play themselves and lose

Reply #265455 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Great career move by the "sturt" guard to make this mens team.
I am sure his ability would have got him through if he had not moved clubs???

Reply #265489 | Report this post

ornate wobbegong  
Years ago

Hanging round,

Of course he would. He was there two years ago, before he moved.

The only prob I can see with this SA mens team is a shortage of 3/4 players (at least 5 out of 10 should play 1/2). But they're a great bunch of young men & I wish them all the best with their preparations.

Reply #265518 | Report this post

Nix 84  
Years ago

Actually 6 could play guard, so I am guessing they will play a lot of 3 guard ball, occasionally going big with 2 guards or even smaller with a 4 guard line up.

Reply #265523 | Report this post

Name game  
Years ago

If you are going to pick your kids in a state team they better have a name like "Andrew Gaze" or CJ Bruton, otherwise it is going to look bad.

Reply #265554 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Isn't Maynard over playing college ball???

Reply #265573 | Report this post

gg  
Years ago

no

Reply #265574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Astor

Come now, the only reason why there are so many Dandenong girls in the U18 squad is that they are all under the belief that if they don't flock to the coaches home club then they won't get a look in.

who has flocked to Dandenong girls ??

Ps the coach is picked end of last year

Reply #265732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SA team results will depend pretty much on a few players

1) If Ireland is fit and able to play. Will make for a very strong guard lineup
2) Boothey must play well and control the court, If not bigs are looking quite a bit out of their depth
3) Minear must hit her shots. Its likely she will have alot of plays set up for her.

Only problem with the team is the focus on the guards, rebounding may be a problem against some of the bigger teams

Reply #265768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams Announced, any opinions

Basketball SA is pleased to announce the 2010 South Australian Under 20 and Ivor Burge state teams.

The teams will be competing in the national championships at Starplex, Gawler from February 21 to 27.

Basketball SA congratulates all athletes and staff selected to these teams, and we wish them all the best as they complete their final preparation for the tournament over the coming weeks.

SA Under 20 Men
Josh Bond (West Adelaide)
Brandon Brine (Southern)
Tom Daly (Sturt)
Rhys Elliot (North Adelaide)
Peter Hooley (Norwood)
John Marriott (Sturt)
Corey Maynard (Sturt)
Lachlan Prest (South Adelaide)
Nathan Spehr (Sturt)
Jan Warbout (Sturt)

Head Coach: Tony Casella (Sturt)
Assistant Coach: Michael Humphrys (Sturt)
Manager: Judi Roberts
Physiotherapist: Scott Palmer
SA Under 20 Women
Cara Boothey (Norwood)
Rosalie Cutri (Southern)
Emma Hooley (Sturt)
Kelsey Ireland (Forestville)
Georgia Minear (Forestville)
Kate Seebohm (Forestville)
Nicole Seekamp (Sturt)
Ashleigh Spencer (Southern)
Marisa Stabile (North Adelaide)
Jordan Walker Roberts (Norwood)

Head Coach: Simon Pritchard (Norwood)
Assistant Coach: Brenton Johnston (Eastern)
Manager: Sue Parker (Norwood)
Physiotherapist: Scott Palmer

Ivor Burge Men
Joshua Bryant
Tristan Cornford
Con Gouras
Daniel Johnston
Bradley Kinross
Wayne Kinross
James Maxell
Chris O'Reilly
Damian Rak
Lachlan Woollett

Head Coach: Kellie Pacis
Assistant Coach: Juanita Wooden
Manager: Manuella Reynolds
Ivor Burge Women
Jasmine Crewdson
Susan Ebdell
Tracey Gordon
Roslyn Lane
Samantha Leigh-Tamblyn
Kellie Martlew
Christine Maynard
Lauren Packham
Nadia Procter
Rebecca Sargeant

Head Coach: Jodie Wanganeen
Assistant Coach: Emma Medhurst
Manager: Faye Packham

Reply #265769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U/20 Vic Men

Josh Wilcher
Nick Gallaugher
Shaun Bruce
Jon Cooke
Chris Patton
Ben Kelly
Anthony Drmic
Mitch Creek
Andrew Steele
Stefan Uzelac

Will push for another gold coached by Scott Christianson

Reply #265923 | Report this post

giloran69  
Years ago

Hangin around - throwin out non too subtle hints. I'll take the bait!

The "sturt" guard had quite a good career playing regularly for his state and training with the Emu squad well before he moved to sturt. Ability???? Career Move??? History now, get over it.

Perhaps this 17 year old just sees value in an ace coaching staff and a good development program. Now that's a good career move!!!!

Reply #265969 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Anon, I'd prefer to avoid naming under 18 players, but if you aren't adverse to doing a little digging yourself then have a look at the rosters of clubs like Bulleen, Nunawading, Waverly and Melbourne from a couple of years back when this years 18's were still playing 14/16's and join the dots yourself.

Not all the players I am talking about will make the team either. But they (believe) they'll get a better look in if they play for the right club.

Reply #265980 | Report this post

hydra 57  
Years ago

the sad part is for those very talented kids that miss out on state teams,whetheit be because they dont fit the team or politics these kids also miss out on being looked at by the AIS

Reply #265994 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I'm not so sure there....I think if the talent is there...they are seen....not much now days gets thru unseen...

Reply #265998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Robbins played for a Gold Medal Emu's ( Bogut's team ) but was not an AIS kid, too much is made of kids who make it and miss it. They are young in their career span and have at least 10 - 12 yrs ahead of them to get better, work harder and fulfill their dream of college, Seabl, NBL or Europe.

The one thing remains, if you are talented and do not work hard enough to be better, that dream will slowly or quickly in some cases be not realised.

Work harder at being better and you will give yourself a small chance of getting to where you think you should be. Set realistic goals and work toward them and not Blame anyone for short falls.

Reply #266111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

astor

I think you are making mountains out of mole hills.

Just because somebody goes from 1 team to an other does not mean they went because the state coach is there.

Maybe it just has a better program.

Reply #266119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

astor

I think you are making mountains out of mole hills.

Just because somebody goes from 1 team to an other does not mean they went because the state coach is there.

Maybe it just has a better program.

Reply #266120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess Vic teams are picked on names with the mens team to. How does Shaun Bruce make the team as his brother was never good for us here in Adelaide and I know Shaun is not that great a player himself. Its a shame this happens and a talented kid misses out.

Reply #266443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was a whisper that the Vic under 20's team got beat by the Vic under 18's in a practice match.

The story goes the coache's daughter started and was beaten by the younger aged players.

Given there is over 100 posts on this the result is quite funny.

I suggest the coach and her daughter enjoy the experience as I dont think either will get another Big V opportunity and neither should they.

Reply #266481 | Report this post

knight  
Years ago

Shaun deserves that nod coz he had a great season with Horsham in Big V Div-2. By the way why is Igor Hadziomerovic not on the Vic U20s roster??

Reply #266484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

igor didnt tryout

Reply #266492 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Whats happened to SA AIS girls Seekamp/Minear....Is Seekamp injured again?? Minear having trouble to even score? Our Vic team should wipe them I reckon

Reply #266599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed

Reply #266601 | Report this post

Why would Victoria place a parent into a coaching role at State Level, I dont know any other state that would!

Is the coach aware of the talk on this!

Reply #266655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA girls are definite gold medal match contenders.
Vics shouldn't be so confident and big headed this year as the competitions alot harder.

So totes bring it!!

Reply #266811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outside: Maybe she can coach!
More worrying is the state team that's picked 2 or 3 girls in need of heart transplants.

Reply #266817 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Its fairly obvious that the Vic's won't be "so confident and big headed this year" - they don't have Jarry, Cambage, or their starting PG Creed.

Then again, having the coaches daughter makes them invincible, right? ha.

Reply #266819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic has the best up and coming PG anyway. Creed has been off the pace for two years. Zammitt is the real deal and is a quality soon to be WNBL Player.

It will be weather the coach works out to stop playing her own Daughter who isn't in the top 50 kids in the state. You watch she will play similar minutes to Cole who will be the unlucky one with Zammit.

Mark this post. Zammit is Vics best PG option and can combo to the SG position.

The nationals will be funny when every state will be laughing at her and her hopeless daughter it's an absolute disgrace!!!!!

Another Basketball Victoria F(*& up!!!!

Reply #266935 | Report this post

mumbojumbo  
Years ago

Victorian guards couldn't find sand in the Sahara

Reply #266987 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why arent SA AIS girls getting much court time

Reply #267242 | Report this post

ornate wobbegong  
Years ago

Because the tournament hasn't started yet.

Reply #267308 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Anyone have any ideas about who the Vic 20s womens team might be?

Reply #267558 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The captain that is?

Reply #267559 | Report this post

Never surprised  
Years ago

A guess might be Williams the Point guard

Reply #267582 | Report this post

Never surprised  
Years ago

Just to add a very average team by all accounts.Cole may struggle without her favourite Point guard there,and some unusual selections.Someone else may be able to answer but reports we hear is that the 18 vic squad touched them up for a second time and a little disharmony is surfacing

Reply #267583 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Are we sure el Capitano isn't the coach's daughter?

Haha

But i'd be prone to thinking that no captain would be announced until they've got the whole team at a training - something that won't happen while they've still got three girls at the Tute only 9 days out from the tournament

Reply #267639 | Report this post

Never surprised  
Years ago

Who is the daughter..player list and coaches names dont match up....or isan assisstant coaches daughter

Reply #267670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hirons

Reply #267678 | Report this post

nil  
Years ago

vic state team coaches ,doing deals as usual,coach and assistant walk around with blinkers on.

Reply #267944 | Report this post

lowlife  
Years ago

I hope Vic win gold at the nationals,and shut you all up!
do you honestly have nothing better to do?

Reply #268023 | Report this post

cares55  
Years ago

vic under sixteen selectors,had trials but selections already make two weeks pria at bulleen meeting.

Reply #268067 | Report this post

nopoint36  
Years ago

u/16 selections have only just started a couple of weeks ago so how long are they going to drag on trials if they have already selected ? no wonder people get pissed of at the end of it all when kids bust there gut for really no reason

Reply #268129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You must mean the girls U16s, because the boys havent started theirs yet?

Reply #268130 | Report this post

fridayitis  
Years ago

nopoint36,

Are you suggesting busting your gut at high level training deosn't make you a better player?

Or that over the training process, some players will adapt to the coaches instruction more easily than other and thererfore make the team in front of them?

Because I am confused as to your reasonings. Sure some kids are going to miss out, but some will be better for the expereince and others (with parents like yours) will only go away negative and therefore never improve.

Reply #268133 | Report this post

nopoint36  
Years ago

im not saying the training is not good for the kids but if what cares55 says is true they shouldnt be calling it trials because the players are already picked but instead they could just name the team and let the others train too that way kids dont build there hopes, the only people that are happy with the way things are done are usually the ones whos kids are in the team already, or know the coaches running it

Reply #268144 | Report this post

versa16  
Years ago

Reply #268147 | Report this post

fridayitis  
Years ago

Do you really think that the coaches have picked their teams? Or are you believeing what an anonomous poster on a website says?

Or do you think that it might be the parent of some kid who didn't make it, and is looking for a excuse other than their kid wasn't good enough?

Reply #268152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fridayitis, I think most coaches of state teams know the first 7 or 8 players they want at the first cut and spend the next 5 months deciding on the last 2 or 3 so in essence the above statements about teams is correct.

Reply #268200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coaches for this year under 16 should look at them selves,and when there kids try out for some sports get treated in the same way they rip others of.

Reply #269585 | Report this post

Pulteney 18  
Years ago

Any idea why everyone write "there" instead of "their" in these forums ? Great Australian illiteracy ?

Reply #269838 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

they dont have kids

Reply #269841 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

vic under sixteen coaches should be sacked for there corrupt actions and back door dealings.shame on them and basketball vic for letting this happen,shame to teach so many kids bad morals.

Reply #271392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

please explain.

Reply #271394 | Report this post

Titan 78  
Years ago

Vic under 16 team. Couldn't see it coming. I posted two months ago with what i thought the team would be. Coach coaches at Melb but hangs around the big knobs at Bulleen WNBL. So where does the majority of the team come from? these clubs. Why, because they're so talented,don't think so. Unfortunately, yes the coach is a bit of a "i'll scratch your back if you scratch mine", but that's the vic way. If you are under the perception of work hard and you will be rewarded, you will be sorely disappointed. Don't worry the same coach had six players from his own team in state teams two years ago and couldn't win jack in Vic, go figure. Take some advice, juniors is all crap, the talent will come through at the end. And yes, the idiots that keep allowing this to go on should hang up their hat or grow some balls.

Reply #271418 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

titan 78

well said and well spoken you sound like some one that has morals.Its great to see someone that speaks facts and if the truth hurts stiff,well done titan78.
Sack the under 16 girls state coaches before basketball victoria cant turn around for the good of all kids?

Reply #271420 | Report this post

SA Watcher  
Years ago

TITAN 78 AND TRUTH:

Obviously your daughters missed the cut.....???

Reply #271421 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

l might do a deal next season ,and go to melbourne or bulleen so l can make a state team.Everyone else did this year.Well done basketball victoria,I suppose itc tryouts are worth going to this month or already choisen by the same peolpe ,waist of money and time then.

Reply #271422 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

SA Watcher,no just didnt know coaches well enough.

Reply #271423 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

I wonder why one of the selectors quit half way through girls 16 state try outs.??

Reply #271425 | Report this post

Titan 78  
Years ago

SA watcher. no my kid didn't miss the cut. Just happen to know the players missing versus the players picked and how it all works is incredible. girls program you have U/20 coach picking own daughter plus half injured side. 18s coach picking 5 players from own team plus 2 more for emergency. 16's going for how he can advance himself by looking after people. The girls program co-ordinater sitting idley by not knowing whos arthur or martha, it's a shambles. Now, how to fix
step 1. No parent to coach. step 2. no coach who is currently coaching that particular age group in the same year to have control. step 3. possibly cap amount of players from any one club to make it a truly vic representative side. Honestly, i am not sure the best way to go about it, but something definetly has to be done or change from all the stale coaches at the boys club needs to happen. I'm tied of seeing all the 5foot high x 5foot wide half balding coaches at basketball vic trying to tell everyone what you need to do to become an elite athlete. With their sporting careers possibly revolving around the school chess club, it makes me laugh ha ha ha!!!

Reply #271525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Name the coaches you talk about Titan 78 ? It would be great to have an independant selection team but problem is they don't know the kids because they can't be fagged going and watching them outside their club environment.Then it becomes a guessing game,and then if they perform poorly, the coach is at fault.....

Get involved and pick a team top win it,

Reply #271547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

:(.......

Reply #271553 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

what do you mean,titan78 is wright,if the current bunch of corrupt coaches go down to watch games they sit and talk with the or boys club and put their blinkers and do some deals with parents,and as for naming them everyone already no who they are unless you live on another planet,as for doing the job your self ,their egos will not let anyone else in because they love the power of being some one for once in their lives.this corrupt culture is ripe through all 14,16,18and 20 s vic teams well done basketball victoria.

Reply #271567 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

:)...

Reply #271568 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

Vic stats
players clubs
18's :7 off from one club.
16's :4 off from one club and 4 off from one club[the so called joint ventre]melb& bullen.3 off from the under 18's coaches club.
well done basketball victoria.
where is the panel to keep these coaches honest.
no balls basketball victoria.

Reply #271570 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Sounds like your problem needs addressing, but I am unsure anyone here can help..

If your pissed, write it down and address it to Victorian Basketball. If it is written you will at least get a response, don't expect the one you want, but you will get one.

Reply #271582 | Report this post

Ceres 89  
Years ago

truth,

Are you talking about the selector who when they last head coaches a Vic Met team convinced 3 Frankston girls to go to Nunawading with promises of State, and then produced the worst EVER result for an U18 Vic team?

The same guy who continually called FU timeout whenever he could?

If so, the team will be better of without him. So what if they have 4 kids from 1 team there. SA have 5 from 1 team, but you could hardly say the coach has a back patting relationship with the club, maybe the opposite.

Just cause the kids you think can play didn't make it means nothing, other than different people have different opinions.

Problem is your is obviously baised by a coach who is not used to accepting he's not in charge, and he is now accussing other people of exactly what he did for years.

Funny how now that Nunawading doesn't get to poach that they need SA kids to make them strong.

Reply #271623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The standard of the U 20 tournament was poor, the standard of the U18 tournament will be poor and the UI6 Nationals should be cancelled. The same crap that is talked about at district level is occurring in Victoria, that being, too few clubs control basketball and the bigger clubs have hijacked the game. In thinking they are the saviours of the game they have become the destroyers by turning local comps into one sided boring events and ensuring kids flee the sport in droves.

Reply #271634 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

well said anonymous

Reply #271652 | Report this post

Hydra 30  
Years ago

Why should it be cancelled. Just cause some Vic parents have been promised spots by a selector who has quit?

If anything in Victoria the weaker clubs pushing the competition to 20 teams has diminished the standard through lesser competition and worse coaching for the elite level players.

More people like "truth" think their kids are super stars just because they play in div 1. If VC had gone back to 12 teams they wouldn't even make VC and there would be no troubles.

Reply #271779 | Report this post

SSS  
Years ago

I went to state trials and watched as the Melbourne selector went round (during one of the early) sessions tapping 4 or 5 girls on the shoulder and having a quiet little chat. No suprise those girls all made it. Oh and if Bulleen and Melbourne are so good how come both teams lost a practice game each? Nothing against the girls still there (good on them) but it is so obvious its political. Coach ex Dand now Melbourne would be wnbl Bulleen as other posts have said. I didn't want to believe it. Everyone was talking about it months ago but I kept defending the process. But then to see Melbourne and Bulleen have about 8 each in the top 25 was incredible. Also I would like to say I don't believe the state coaches spent enough time "watching" players during their Friday night games. Last year's u16 state coach was out at every main game over a period of many months. This just adds fuel to the fire when people say the team was already picked during a backroom meeting at Bulleen. And funny how this rumour has spread because I have heard of it from about 10 different people.
Anyway, good luck to the players who make it. Lucky they have their guardian angels from Melb and Bulleen in their court!

Reply #271828 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

well said sss,l agree 100%,not good for the sport and kids.

Reply #271831 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

looks like im heading to bulleen next season ,become a assistant ,good for state selection.mmmm

Reply #272375 | Report this post

Hydra 30  
Years ago

Funny how people who have an agreement with a selector who is one of the biggest poaches in Vic met history, then realise he can't get their kid named, try and have a go at other peoples kids who make the team in front of them.

I doubt Bulleen would have you.

Reply #272376 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

biggest poaches in the game are at melbourne and a coach that would be if he could be at bulleen wnbl.the place you that use to be for better odds of selection was dandy its changed this year.go figuire

Reply #272386 | Report this post

Hydra 30  
Years ago

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Go talk to some other clubs about your coach.

Why not go ask your selector mate who obviously promised you a spot how many players moved to your club while he was State coach.

Just cause he says deals happened in the past when he was coach, doesn't mean they happen now. Maybe the best kids made it. And by best kids, I mean those who listen to the coach and do what is asked rather than those who listen to their whinning parent about how it is someone elses fault.

I feel sorry for your kid, with a parent as delusonal as you they haven't got a chance. In 2 years when they aren't playing anymore, because your club has recruited someone else, it will be all your fault, even though you can't see it.

Reply #272403 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

dont worry everyone when the coaches change next year or year after the team will be different always is just look at this years 18s, with a different coach there maby 4/5 different kids

Reply #272422 | Report this post

Mystified  
Years ago

Was told to have a look at this website today. Wow!!! There is alot of of second guessing....and he said/she said and no-one actually knows. You cannot please all the people all the time. Coaches are now being treated like umpires...Without them there would be no sport......Take a deep breath folks..relax....life if for living not BITCHIN.

Let this kids play!!!

Reply #272466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was also told to have a look at this thread today.
The problem is, apart from those who are really in the know, nobody else does know, including me.
But from reading the various arguments here, from what I have seen myself, and from what I have experienced more generally with those that run basketball in our state, the process looks corrupt to me.
But there's nothing you can do about it. Apart from becoming corrupt yourself. Or whinging your *rse off on forums like this.
It's all pretty sad really.

And I was interested in the comment about Frankston and Nunawading - was that the Dayna Schinz and Alycaa? Parker year? - I didn't realise that was this years U16 Vic Metro coach who organised that - but it did help give the spectres a Nuna v Nuna U18 VC girls grand final which is no mean feat - not sure it has ever been done before or since

Reply #272715 | Report this post

Hydra 30  
Years ago

Not this years State coach. Rather it was the selector who quit, who was a past State coach.

Reply #272733 | Report this post

Head shaker  
Years ago

As a parent if you are in a state team your going to shut up with the fear that it will cause damage to your own.If you are not in the team you are looked upon as not knowing what you are talking about or as a whinging parent.The system whilst not being corrupt is certainly not transparent.
Easy for state coach's to say "well if your not happy there change clubs" and you could try ...well my club.Is that poaching ?.who am I to say?
I believe too few have too much power.How do you get to the AIS ? Through the state programs and nominations,all controlled by the same people.How do you make a state team?,be at the right club and get selected in their rep program..all controlled by the same as above..ITC, ECC all the same people.Do the asistants have a say?..well they wont challenge the coach or system due to the fact they want the job the following year.
It is sad their is no place to ask the questions, as any suggestion,or query is generalised as discontented parents.It is difficult to explain the decisions to players when nearly everyone apart from a few thinks the system is a disgrace.

Reply #272758 | Report this post

Casper  
Years ago

Wow, obviously state trials need to be looked at seriously.

Any truth in the observation of one parent that during tryouts that there was actually no competition or games to rest the kids out?

There are plenty of kids that have 'skill' in an uncontested environment.

Reply #272975 | Report this post

Mystified  
Years ago

It seems to me that state teams at the end of the day,have nothing to do with which Representative team you play for. Firstly, if you are good enough you will be looked at,. Then, team dynamics, of course, come into play If you have ever played for a team sport you would know this is true. There is no "I" in team. You can have 30 great players, and a different coach would pick a different team each time from these players. A team is about the group dynamics, and individual skills, of course, come into play. If you chose a core group you would look at the team and at the end of the day the players that best suit that team. I ask the question, why would any coach pick a team of players that they believed would not be the best TEAM. A the end of the day (tournament) isnt that gold medal what our KIDS strive for?

Reply #273238 | Report this post

Head shaker  
Years ago

when in Vic just pick your own and you know you will still win...unless your the u/20 Vic women

Reply #273251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" I ask the question, why would any coach pick a team of players that they believed would not be the best TEAM"
I hear that argument trotted out every time in response to this type of discussion. And in theory I agree. But in practice I have seen and heard too much of what goes on to believe it any more. Just look at the above report of this years u20 team having a parent coaching their own child, which just happens to be very visible, and is probably just the tip of the iceberg, and a very poor judgement call by those in charge of the process, and which I reckon probably illustrates well this deep rooted problem in the sport of basketball. As already said, if you can pick any of your top 30 or top 50 players and still win the tournament, you can then allow other factors to contribute to you team choice. Like choosing players from your own team at your own club first, to placating a child's parents from your own club who threaten to move them to another club/state if they are not chosen, or the coach who wants to move to a new club where many of the best coaches in the country are now gathering, to name a few.

Reply #273307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Any truth in the observation of one parent that during tryouts that there was actually no competition or games to rest the kids out?"

I don't know about that, but I would like to say that I am sick and tired of the abuse of the system, at club and state level, by parents with injured and sick kids.
No doubt there are genuine cases, but I see too many happening for them all to be genuine. The percentage of sick and injured kids during tryouts is all too often far higher than you see during the regular season.
Not only does it allow your kids to avoid game situations and maybe show up that their silky skills during training don't quite cut it in game situations.
But it also allows parents lots of phone calls with coaches, keeping their kids in the forefront of the coaches minds.
And the opportunity to rest doesn't hurt either during a rigorous tryout process.
I have been watching this happen for a long time now and IMO it is a huge RORT of the process, by certain unscrupulous parents, which clearly works, and is why it continues.
(Sorry to anyone with kids who have genuine injuries/sickness)

Reply #273310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also forgot to mention in my last post, that avoiding the tryouts by being sick/injured, allows those kids who might have been stronger in the early years, to disadvantage those kids who are now coming through stronger in the later years, by avoiding having to go up against them in game situations in front of the state coaches. It also happens in our regular Friday night comp with in game injuries, when those coaches are around.
All sounds pretty sinister hey :-)
And you can never prove that is happens - maybe it doesn't ;-)

Reply #273550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to all the players in the under 18 nationals

Reply #273772 | Report this post

triton 17  
Years ago

Hey Anonymous, Remember this post!

re: State teams?
Dexter Kernich - Drew wont play at a decent D1 college to save his own life.

He plays at Waverly as it's easy and he gets away with street basketball crap. He is at best a low small D2 player.

Wake up with your best potential players!!! Drmic and Iggy are the only 2 at D1 standrd and Iggy is on the blindfold path to Serbia Euro ball where he will get eaten and spat out, Drmic will go to a good D1 on the West Coast.

Sounds to me that you! like the people you "anonymously talk about" push your own agenda.
to rubbish a player by name on a forum and then anonymously talk about everyone else smacks of a disgruntled player/Coach....I am surprised that Mark did not call you on that comment, but as he is probably smarter than you, he let Dexter speak for himself where it matter's on court......
which if you look at the BigV Site! the .."soft biscuit dipped in coffee".. do I suspect a racial undertone"?.. seems to be quite eloquent in his response to you.
Also can I say thank you to driving my son to becoming the best Baller he can be.
Hey Drim and Iggy good luck in the future.

Maurice

Reply #276349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Five percent of players are picked because they are stand-out talents and it would be obvious if they were not picked. However,95% of players picked for State teams and the AIS are selected because of factors highlighted on this thread and bear no relation to fairness, ability,talent or potential.

Reply #276352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Vic 20's team will get beaten especially after the coach picked her own daughter. Think it's funny.
bad commentator and bad selector. True ABC television magic"

Good prediction.

Reply #276455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Five percent of players are picked because they are stand-out talents and it would be obvious if they were not picked. However,95% of players picked for State teams and the AIS are selected because of factors highlighted on this thread and bear no relation to fairness, ability,talent or potential."

I think that sums it up pretty well - whether the percentages are right or not is not important - but the sentiment is spot on.
It is the process which is flawed.
As mentioned earlier, as long as you have club coaches running the state teams then there will be biased decisions.
The alternative would be for the state or national level to provide the coaches - but how would that ever work?

Reply #276531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the reality will probably always be that club coaches will usually make decisions on state teams based on who they know over who they don't know - and some will go a bit further and also make decisions based on where they want to be in the future - and if you look at it disapassionately, who can blame them - this is the only career path open to them as a basketball coach - and it has been part of the way basketball is run in this country from the beginning - so what incentive would there be not to do it - I am sure that not all do, but because some (if not many) do, all will be tarred with the same brush of perception.
The pity is in the end the process is discredited - you can't afford to place any importance on making a state team - there are just too many ifs - and even if you do get in, I for one would feel soiled anyway by the discredited process, whether you were part of manipulating it or not.
I think the best part of the whole process though, is getting many hours of trying out against and training with, the strongest players from your age group.

Reply #276532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dexter Kernich - Drew wont play at a decent D1 college to save his own life.

Wake up with your best potential players!!! Drmic and Iggy are the only 2 at D1 standrd and Iggy is on the blindfold path to Serbia Euro ball where he will get eaten and spat out, Drmic will go to a good D1 on the West Coast." your an idiot man how does eating you own words feel dexter plays at Washington state university that's in the PAC 10 conference one of the highest in division 1 college basketball

Reply #295787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dexter Kernich Drew is at Washington State, a major D1 program in the Pac-12. Hasn't gotten off the bench in his first game. Didn't he average 20 points per game in one of the Big V leagues that J.P. Wilkinson also play in for the 2009 season? He has to be kind of good, to get a scholarship at Wazzu.

Drew is a slasher who plays the 2/3, and can rebound. He can score, but not sure if he'll defend well enough to get minutes, and must be able to improve his athleticism to stick. He could at least be a quality SEABL player, if he gets decent playing time in college basketball.

Reply #338940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic is at Boise State alongwith Hadziomerovic, not sure if he's NBA material per say, but he's certainly a very good player. He's done really well at SEABL, and in the U19 championships, as the guy is tall, can really score, and is a skilled basketball player. Don't forget, Anthony Drmic averaged 15 points, 5 rebounds, and over 1 assist and steal per game against SEABL competition, as he's shown a really improved three-point shot. He scores well in transition, too.

Hugh Greenwood, though, looks to be a real stud. He almost had a triple double in his first SEABL game of 2011, and plays with a good shoulder on his head. He played for Hobart this past year, and I believe he is at New Mexico, playing for the Lobos, which is also D1. I'll be surprised if he doesn't make any impact at the collegiate level, given how well he's played against professional players and in the U19 championships.

Reply #338941 | Report this post

Years ago

Thanks for your thoughts, Anon.

That said, two years ago, I would've stated that the best young players in the Big V league under the age of 20 were Jordan Vandenberg, a 6-10 center who now plays at NC State, Dexter Kernich-Drew, a 6-6 guard-forward who now plays at Washington State, and Ben Bowman, a 6-6 forward who's now at some college (Columbia Cougars?) in the NAIA. Hey, 2 out of 3's not bad.

Vandenberg was a big man who could really rebound and block shots, was a skilled passer, and had enough ability to score inside. His ability to play interior defense, size, and athletic prowess makes him a decent center on a major D1 program.

Kernich-Drew was an athletic slasher who could drive the ball to the basket, and get to the rim at will, and was also a good three-point shooter. He rebounded well, and had decent playmaking skills, as he was an above average passer, and did a great job of limiting turnovers at Waverly. He's kind of skinny though and will need to be a stout defender, but his offensive prowess and athleticism should allow him to get some run if he works hard at Washington State. Motum struggled to get some run early on for the same coach, but he dominated U18 play in Australia, was highly touted, and now is a starter as a junior for Washington State, as Brock Motum now looks to be a very good college basketball player.

Ben Bowman was an athletic forward who was a good scorer who could shoot threes and get to the hoop fairly often, and really knew how to apply his athleticism on the floor. He was a good defender, and found ways to make defensive plays more times than not. Also was a decent passer. He hasn't been able to make it up to D1 however, as he averaged far less minutes than either Drew or Vandenberg.

I hope both Drew and Vandenberg play well in D1. I will be cheering them on.

Reply #338947 | Report this post

maurice_drew  
Years ago

Hey,Guest
you were right,Dexter Kenich_Drew Has stepped up after redshirting at Washington State University for last season,Seems the coach there is finding him to useful to leave on the bench,
Pac 12 is a fast paced conference,seems to suit him.
His defence is good enough to put him on the other teams best players,he can still shoot and his handles seem to be better.
All in all the opportunity to get stronger and understand the American game has paid off.
Here's hoping he goes on to get better and better,
Seems like Aussies in the College system are doing us proud.

Reply #342904 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754