j
Years ago

port macquarie and albury?

i hear sa country teams are quiet different this year as many bottom age kids are being played up in albury when previously strong kids go pt mac. leaving pt mac 17's boys a good 4 and 17's gitls not much at all. thoughts on whether the strongest team should of been put to pt mac?

Topic #21949 | Report this topic

enonymous  
Years ago

What did you just say, can you repeat but this time slow down a little and speak english.

Thanks

Reply #262737 | Report this post

Rhea 77  
Years ago

I think i understand where you are coming from. You are saying that U.17 age players are playing in the U.18s at Albury rather than playing U.17s at Port.

This would most likely be as part of the state team selection process due to the U.18 titles being too early in the year to do it any other way. Also gives coaches a chance to see the athletes playing together and in action at a very high level

Reply #262741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country have obviously decided to follow in Vic Country's foot steps. Pick the best 20 players (bottom age and top age) from the u18s that are trying out for the State team. take them away, watch how they all operate together..

It is a very smart process, however unfortunate for the guys who love to have fun, because Port Mac u17s is the funnest years to have at one of these things with the road trip up and what not.

Reply #262742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's funny they are doing it at pt mac, as they are following suit on the 15's and selecting the best under 15's..

but at the end of the day, more kids in the system getting exposure is what it is all about...and i'm all for that...

Reply #262756 | Report this post

Pallas31  
Years ago

Selection of the under 17's/18's albury/port mac teams were purely decided on numbers and makin the teams even.
The best teams were due to be sent to albury, and after the numbers that showed last year for the trails, edging over 50, the head coach believed there would be enough numbers to fill a decent port mac side.
However many bottom age players that competed in nationals 2009 pulled out of state to follow football. This leaving only dead 30 players out and trials, exact numbers for 3 teams, and many of which players have never played district basketball, and many of which struggle with the basic speed and abilities to compete and this higher competition.
As heard, all 18 coaches, including head coach wanted to pull port mac due to lake of talent. This request was denied by a the development officer of SA Country.

Reply #263039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seeing they send more coaches than players Im surprised the gravy train makes the hills

Reply #263048 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

hey hey hey, thats not nice...maybe it's about developing all aspects of the game, not just kids...coaches too..

Reply #263053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it's all over now, how did the kids go, any stand out talent, did SA finish with any placings.

Reply #265799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAC's U18 girls underachieved again which has become a habit. Allowing for a couple of good players to come back for the Nationals in one combined team its to be hoped they live up to the expectations.So many U17 Australian players in it and camp girls yet they can't seem to win.

Reply #265867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does this happen, do they need more time to train together perhaps, there is some talent among those girls this shouldn't happen.

Reply #265904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the girls finished 5th & 6th. Not too bad considering the numbers that tried out.

Nationals will certainly be what this group will be looking at. Once selection is sorted
out the girls will train together extensively. I think they are a chance & I am sure
the head coach does too.
Talented squad and the coach has the experience with him too being in his thrd or fourth campaign in charge.

Hopefully they do and meet the metro kids in a final and both do well.

Reply #265908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have been talked up for the past three years, time for some action.

Reply #265916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I'm sure there will be plenty of action when they get told who is in the team.....but that's not what your talking about. Just pushing crap to get the thread going yeah???

Doomsayers. Gotta love em. Heaven forbid kids are supported!!

Reply #265921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have any of the kids heard who is going on the camp next weekend to the Flinders Ranges.

Reply #266421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U 18 squad is on the Sa Country Basketball website.

Reply #266485 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754