Brainz
Years ago

Biggest NBL Alley

The NBL are pumping up Abercrombies alley as the best of all time, i disagree and wondered what Hoopsters could come up with.

Here is some i found

Topic #22058 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Abercrombie's was a big leap, but almost a bit bland given that he could only drop it straight down. You could liken it to a plainish dunk on an 11' ring vs a showy one on a standard ring. One of the better ones this year, but probably not his most spectacular this season, not really the best in the league this season and definitely not one of the best in the NBL's history.

That Farley one was pretty memorable for me - he was an absolute terror in that game, absolutely on fire. And the Cortez alley was really impressive too; none of those camera angles seem to do it justice.

I think I was in Brisbane for this one where Mackinnon got a lot of height:

I think that was the game where Smyth did the five-on, five-off sub when Adelaide were getting belted.

Here are some theatrics from Slambour with a Dusty to Farley alley:

I think one of the bigger putbacks was from Ere. Anyone got video of that?

Reply #263952 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Groves has my vote. I was in about the tenth row and I was looking him in the eye!!

Reply #263959 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

The main difference between the Abercrombie alley and the others mentioned above are that it was a two handed dunk. All the alternative dunks may look more spectacular as they are a bit more difficult due to the incoming pass but think about the difference in height achieved by reaching one handed rather than both.

In the context of "biggest" it may be as far as height of both hands grabbing the ball, but as far as "best" or "most spectacular", well that is a different interpretation.

Reply #263969 | Report this post

COOPZ  
Years ago

i like number 5 in this:

more for the pass i know, but the reverse finish is pretty decent for a big man.

LOVE scottys play at number 6. classic.

Isaac, i know the ebi ere tip-jam you speaking of, i still have the game on dvd, just for that dunk! but cant find it on youtube.

but maybe rob rose would pip ebi at the post with this tip jam at #1 (@1.54)

Reply #263979 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I haven't seen the Abercrombie alley or I just cannot remember. Anyone got a video of it?

Reply #263980 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nice finds Coopz.

Was emailing Boti about it and he says there was a massive dunk by Farley on Dwight in West Sydney that was one of the absolute best and rated at the top by none other than Brett Maher who would've seen a few dunks in his time.

Reply #263983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's on the nbl site in the abercrombie injury story

Reply #263985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hope this works... if not please delete isaac

Reply #263988 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

One of my favourites is still the Rillie to Cattalini oop in the 97/98 season...from memory I think Cat got a tech for swinging on the ring, but it was worth it.

Reply #263990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrobie's dunk was boring.
Un opposed and that's the best he's got?
Boring as I said.
Must be a lean NBL dunking year.

Reply #263999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He took the ball at the top of the square. How many other dunks in the NBL this year have had height like that?

I don't think he could've made it more exciting as he was holding it right above the ring. The exciting alleys involve throwing it down after grabbing it from further out.

Reply #264000 | Report this post

COOPZ  
Years ago

Agreed isaac. a bad pass makes a great alley.

this one sprung to mind...

Reply #264001 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I love the double fist pump by the coach at the 27 seccond mark of the COOPZ second video.

Reply #264003 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Slightly OT, but:
The video by Hambour is the kind of thing the Sixers should use as their TV advertisments. Cut it down to 30 seconds, with 3-4 seconds at the tail for info on the next home game.

Much like the glory years of the NBL, we need to get back to highlighting and marketing the individual stars.

Reply #264035 | Report this post

I remember a Leon Trimmingham one at the powerhouse on a pass from near half court where he kinda flew vertically and cocked it back.. must of been 97.. cant find it on youtube but I remember it was nasty!!

And I have a vague recollection of David Robinson doing a similar one here too. Love the 36ers to package these highlights somehow.

Reply #264056 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

abercrombie is a skinny white kid so he gets bonus points lol

Reply #264080 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

15 posts and no one has mentioned gaze/copeland - I can't remember any specific alley's just shitloads of them.... and for the best, there is probably no video but Geelong had a combo (1992 I think) in one of their infamous rebuilding years. Bobby Locke (more than memorable) was half of it but he brought out a mate that year from Chicago - Chris someone - and Locke threw him a pass at the Glasshouse one night that even had the NM fans going off... but i am guessing its beyond the memory of most here!

Reply #264090 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cortez was very close to landing a big two-hander last night at the Dome. Gilchrist (I think it was) threw a wide lob that left Groves really stretching from some way out to attempt the dunk. Was at the same end and from the same side as his infamous one-hander as opposition a few years back.

Reply #264229 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754