Jack Toft
Years ago

Are we worthy of the Wooden Spoon?

It has been the tightest season ever, and with two rounds to go, looks like we might be in line for a dirty finish.

Both us and Cairns have two games left and with Cairns one game up on us, can we pull ourselves off the bottom?

Cairns: Townsville away, NZ home
Us: Townsville away, Wollongong home

We have the series against Cairns, so we just need to get the same wins to stay off the bottom.

Cairns can't win away, so I reckon after the Townsville games, we'll still be one game down if we get a loss. If we get a win, then it'll get down to the final game.

We might just get the wooden spoon, but who is more worthy? The Sixers, or Taipans?

Topic #22251 | Report this topic

kman  
Years ago

sixers, ive gone to every game for 10 years approx now, ive never not wanted to go watch the team until the last few weeks. Nothing changed all year, struggled with pressure, once again got an import who was wicked but for us so so. Im coming back next season but this year has been painful and i cant wait for it to be over, poor Balls had no real help all year.

Reply #266990 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Jack......bring the wooden spoon out for the last game as we will finish bottom. We have a talanted roster but the with the inexperience coaching group what can we really expect?

What a frustrating season. Well done to SOS

Reply #266991 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm with Kman - been a season ticket holder at the Powerhouse / Dome from day one and never thought "Sixers are on. May as well go I guess" before this season.

With Cairns' win over Perth, I think it's safe to say we've earned a paddlin' with the big ol' wooden spoon.

On the upside, management will have all the impetus in the world to shake things up - like a guy holding a painter's ladder from the very bottom...

Reply #266993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have at times not gone this year not because we are losing but because of the way we are losing.

I had a laugh at the title of this thread. Are we worthy of the wooden spoon?? I don't think we are that bad that we don't deserve it!!

Reply #266994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why waste wood on them

Reply #267002 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Adelaide are worthy of the wooden spoon after at least 10 fadeouts throughout the season which easily could have resulted in 10 wins.
That would be a 20-6 record and I know a bit too farfetched, so lets say we win 5 of the fadeout games, the record goes to 15-11 and top of the ladder.
The competition is so tight and the teams that know how to win in the clutch will go deep in the playoffs, no doubting that.
Even with all the doom and negativity I've read on this forum it sounds like we are getting blown out by 25-30 each game, we're not and are not too far off the mark.
I think the system needs only a minor change which should include a veteran guard.
Seriously fans, it's no the end of the world, Adelaide will be back in the semi finals quicker than you can say Schenscher!

Reply #267004 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good point Journo, the losses have been small losses, and generally, after we led somewhere in the game, and usually for a long period of time.

We could have easily been 15-11 as you say and confidence sky high

Reply #267006 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

That's exactly why this season has been so frustrating though! So many games were winnable and yet how many games where the final margin was under 10 points did we win? A couple at best. Our 4th quarters have been terrible all season. It has got to the point where you just expect them to choke and to lose, regardless of how far in front they may be. We need to find a player or two that is willing to step it up and take the challenge on when it is that tight ala Maher. Easier said than done of course. If nothing else this season, we've learnt that you definitely can't replace a champion!

Reply #267007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes you are worthy of the wooden spoon, you 36ers stink.

Reply #267008 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Considering Sixers are the weakest defensive team (Cairns are a better defensive outfit)in competition then it is no surprise.
True with an once of luck your record could be totally different so perhaps there is a double irony at work here.

Reply #267019 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

"Are we worthy of the wooden spoon?" Off course we are if we finish with the least amount of games won. We are especially worthy of the wooden spoon because of the number of games we managed to lose in the final minutes when having a considerable lead earlier on. It shows a lack of discipline, professionalism and stamina to see the job through to the end.

Reply #267026 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

I blame it all on Phil Smyth, it is his friendship with Choco Williams and Port Power that has effected the 36ers. Lose the close ones and miss out on the finals has been the story in recent years. Time to restore the relationship with the Crows, may not win many premierships but at least they make the finals just about every year.

Reply #267030 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

They started the season like a bunch of headless chooks and they finished as chicken schnitzels. Crumbed and done on both sides.

I don't know exactly whose fault any of it is. I just hope SOS fix it and we can forget this season ever happened!

So, er, that'd be a YES. Take the spoon and make a good parmigiana sauce with it to spruce up the schniztels.

Reply #267032 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

No! We get a plastic spork from a noodle cup!

Lol at Ushiro.

Reply #267035 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We were a little bit stiff. -
U23 garlepp waste of space , while Hill missed U23 by a few weeks and Schenscher came to the Dome training and looking for a spot and when we said no - Burston went down for half a season. History became a lie!

Reply #267044 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

What is with the Camel, one day you no a lot the next day not even close. Molitor is the U23 not Garlepp and Schens said no not the sixers, he wanted to try his luck O/S and when that did not work had no where to go.

Reply #267049 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

U23 Chris Molitor AND Tom Garlepp.
Schensch. said no - went to Los Vagas to play for the Lakers - gotta back injury, came back here training at the dome with the sixers and asked for a spot - but we couldn't fit him 'cause we had signed Burston.

'Some of the people can be part right, all of the time
Some can be all right part of the time.
But all of the people can't be all right, all of the time." - I think Bob Dylan said that.

Reply #267052 | Report this post

Donnie Walsh  
Years ago

At least we get a chance at the first pick in the draft so we can get John Wall.

Reply #267063 | Report this post

Jinga  
Years ago

Yes. We're lucky it hasn't happen earlier, what with the flat out awful basketball that has been played by the Sixers far too often over the last four years.

It's been a frustrating season considering how many games the Sixers threw away. But then again, bad teams seem to always find a way to lose games they by all counts should have won.

The 2009-10 Sixers are a bad team. Pure and simple. If they do finish last, yes, they are indeed "worthy" of it.

Reply #267100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deservedly so.

Reply #267134 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:01 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754