Ben Fitzsimons
Years ago

36ers Post Season Survey

Hi everyone. If you have a few minutes to complete a survey for us that would be greatly appreciated.
http://linky.com.au/m9mz1
Thanks Ben

Topic #22440 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Can't stop thinking 'bout how it's ALL good out there at our home games. The atmosphere, the enjoyment.
When we lose - it's dead.
'Well, that was a waste of money.' on the way out.

Maybe - Put up or shut up - When we lose ya get a free coke or pie or something , at the next game.
Something along those lines - I think.

( I sent the survey in. BUT that's my observation.)

Reply #269599 | Report this post

ja  
Years ago

its hard enough for the teams to stay alive at the moment. but handing out a coke or a pie to all the supporters after a loss thats alot of money to throw away.

Reply #269600 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I actually enjoyed most of the games last year despite the end results. Never thought it wasn't a good night out (or a start of a night out). Obviously better when they win, but even in the losses there were highlights and things to talk about later.

On the 'make-up prize after a loss' idea, I did have a half-baked thought during the last off-season of a team that only billed season tickets per-game if the team won (but at a slightly higher rate than normal) or gave a per-game refund for a loss. Carefully engineered so that short of a disastrous season, the team wouldn't die. Thought it might be the sort of thing to get international press pretty cheaply. Novel, but a huge gamble that no one would want to take.

Reply #269601 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Coffee or something from a sponsor that's willing to put up for a home loss ? Something along the lines of putting up for a loss - might be a bit of publicity.
Maybe?

Reply #269602 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Just put $5 on the opponents each home game - you get a refund if you lose and pay an extra $5 for a win.

Reply #269604 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

I seem to recall during the season before the one that's just finished - having discussions about a 'make up for a loss'. We won the next 10 outta 10 home games.
(How good was it on that hot Sunday afternoon against Perth - when we got about 8points in 40seconds , followed by a bit of push and shove - I thought Groves had thrown a punch at Schensh - but he threw the ball - A bit to talk about, as you say - even though the end was terrible.)

Reply #269605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely a give-away for a win would be better.....same way you give a dog a treat for good behaviour.

Or a voucher after a win that can only be redeemed at the next game.

Or like the coffee stamps, every win you get a stamp....get six stamps and get something free.

Personally I'd be happy if they brought back the nachos.....free or not

Reply #269610 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Bring back the mobile vendors. In the past we had young guys and gals walking the ailse selling drinks and ice-creams. Surely wouldn't cost to much to pay some kids $15p/hr. I rarely buy any food or drink at the stadium cos I don't wanna miss any of the game, nor do I want to stand in line at half-time for the whole twenty minutes.
Townsville fans got a FREE Big Mac everytime they scored 100 points at a home game. Unfortunately we would have gone hungry for much of the year.

Reply #269611 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

My survey 2c

The Good:
-Meals upstairs at the Apollo were fantastic last season. Lots of long time supporters, good value for money, excellent view of support games.
-The door scanners seemed more efficient than the turnstyles.
-The Sixers card (able to be re-charged) was well received.
-Murray Magpie seemed pretty popular this year.
-Sixers dancers were good as always.
-Skip's music selections.

The Bad:
-Removing the big screen when CB took ownership was a big loss - the projected screen above Apollo isn't nearly as good.
-The half time entertainment was hit and miss.
-Not sure if it's possible, but more carpark exits.

Suggestion:
-Maybe a 5 minute head to head package descriging the two teams involved and their season (alla Foxtel) before the match.
-Do anything possible (free tickets to schools?) to fill the area directly behind the baskets.

The Ugly:
-Our record.

Reply #269617 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the big screen was back for the final game. I agree that the screen was a great addition for this year.

I might not be with the majority on half-time entertainment, but it doesn't make or break my evening and I'd rather they spend effort on building crowds rather than trying to put on an expensive hit-or-miss show at half-time.

Junior games (actually, I'd prefer U18 or U20 sometimes, to see more athleticism, maybe some dunks?) are pretty simple and effective. Have a standard format and see who wants to have a quick exhibition game - Tristar or Mark Davis camps, a stadium with a social comp to promote, junior clubs, ABL, whatever. They provide a ref, a ball, and run for 5-8 minutes or whatever they can fit in.

Reply #269618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The big screen belongs to a 36ers sponsor and was at the Dome when not used for an event.

Had nothing to do with the dome situation and did return for the final game.

Reply #269623 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I am with Isaac in regards to half time entertainment. Half time is for getting up from your seat and getting a beer or going and have a chat with you friends about the first half. Who cares what is happening on court when the players are not out there, I am paying to watch basketball not what is happening at half time.

Reply #269626 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Cheers Anon. And big thanks to the sponsor - it was a great addition.

I only use half time for a beer and a chat with mates on the concourse as wellm and I'd prefer U20 games being played too.

Maybe a series of games over the course of the season coached by ex-Sixers? So Davis, Sapwell, Maher or whoever coaching 6 teams in a 10 min game round robin or something?

Reply #269629 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There were a lot more positives than negatives out of the season.

Reply #269633 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Positive : We had a team and a competition.

Reply #269636 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Isaac and Loco, I agree about half time entertainment. Most weeks, I'd be very happy to see juniors get a run at half time, especially if its u18 or u20 level. Should be free or near free for the club I would have thought, the players would get a kick out of showing their skills in front of the crowd (no doubt their friends and family too) and the crowd hopefully gets rewarded with some dunks or speccy plays. Not to mention being able to create a bit of interest in some of the up and coming young guys in the district comps.

On the giveaways after home losses, I don't see the value in that. Its the players you want to motivate right? Why not have a clause in every players contract saying that you will get an end of season bonus, based on a small percentage of total gate receipts for the year? That way the more punters their play brings through the doors, the more money they make! Can't be fairer than that!

You'd give bonuses for every playoff victory too, to make sure their play wasn't all sizzle and no steak!

Reply #269643 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

My ideas:

half time we could have a dunk off with well anyone and lower the rings to eight foot, i mean no one wants to see a bunch of old people dancing.

Find some athletic people and put on a good show for the crowd at half time.

another thing we need (yes stolen from college basketball)

Two big groups of supporters that treat it like a college game behind the backboards, that just cheer and chant all game long. it wouldnt be that hard if there were 150-250 people on each end that just went crazy, maybe make them cheaper tickets but they have to cheer.

It would be great for the atmosphere and it would be a huge load of fun for everyone.

Reply #269646 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

Interesting reading/topic.
When I'd suggested a refund on home games lost -
Cornesy said "Now your talking."
Ebert said that in the ole days the players didn't get paid for a loss and that I was an idiot.
Port magpies membership (of about 80bucks) and they would refund it if they didn't make the finals- a few years ago.
I gotta feeling they didn't make the finals, that year

Anyways just discussions/thoughts to kick around.
I don't have violent objections to reward a win and the like - If I was Villi , Pura or whoever - I'd do something.

Reply #269648 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I don't think any model that gives back for a loss will work. The whole point is you are paying to support your team and be entertained, not pay when you choose. Sport viewing is a gamble you can walk away from a loss and feel like you saw a great game, do you get your money back then?

As an overall, i think the year was good from an off court perspective and thank the SOS for what they have started. Next year i hope we can push and get back to days of old.

Reply #269651 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

yeah i dont agree on any refunds or prize for losing, but the 100pts+ get something free idea or something like that would make it fun (even though in 10min qtrs we'll never reach 100pts lol) but if you can get a sponsor to do that it'd be awesome.

i think this year (despite our record) we took a step in the right direction, if we can gain some good players over the off season i think we can get back to the days of old where the dome was nearly packed every game, the support shown this year was great considering some of the court action wasnt that great. and again my highlight of the year was Murray the Magpie that guys deserves a pay rise or massive bonus, his on court antics were awesome an kept the crowd entertained

with the SOS in place we are heading to where the 6ers should be as a business an a team, Keep up the great work guys

Reply #269654 | Report this post

diana  
Years ago

I think you need to put in perspective the season as a whole. Firstly, the SOS' huge positive was that they saved the team. But, to be honest that's about it. They tried to put a team together on the cheap and as the saying goes, you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Last place - can't argue! The game nights were no different to previous years, except with a poorer on-court announcer (as has been discussed on here). Apart from that, I agree with alot of you, I go to watch the team perform and the rest is just minor details that add to the spectacle. I agree that Scott Ninnis should have been sacked, however, I also think that the SOS will have to pay him out a fair portion of his contract for next season (despite them not wanting to) and in hindsight, will probably end up working out cheaper to have kept him, and brought in a very experienced assistant coach and give Scott the one more year. The crowds, well the support has always been there but I firmly believe that it's hard for the fans to develop any type of consistent support when every season for I don't know how long, we change over at least 5 - 6 players. This doesn't happen in any other sport. I haven't seen a 36ers team in the last 7 years play with heart, passion and the 'never say die' attitude that we as fans deserve and I hope this changes before more fans leave the sport. Off the court, the SOS definitely have their hearts in the right place but they've got a lot of learning to do and only hope their ego's don't get in the way of that.

Reply #269657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The wildcat's are sponsored by Muzz Buzz (Drive thru Coffe Shop) and when Perth score 100pts or more everyone gets free coffee cards when they are leaving the stadium.

When the team has close to 100 points the crowd is yelling 'WE WANT MUZZ BUZZ"

Maybe something along those lines??

Reply #269658 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yeah - That reward to the crowd if we get 100points sounds like a real good one.
(A sponsor could put that up and get good publicity and may not ever have to cough up anything.)
Sounds pretty good.

Reply #269660 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

I like that idea - It adds a bit if we're getting close to 100points. It's a good one.

Reply #269661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce - of course you like Camel's comment - considering you ARE Camel!

Reply #269662 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

I liked muzz buzz comment.
(and read diana's comments)

Reply #269664 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I'm with joshua. Why give something back to the fans after a loss? Is it to sweeten the loss and make you walk away feeling better. Its false economy if the club has to budget and get a team together that are not good enough to win games and then go and spend more money on fans to apologise for the loss. I'd be putting the extra money into a team that is good enough to win games and especially into a coach that is capable of coaching for the win. No coffee for me, just a decent team that I can enjoy winning games. The joy of a free coffee lasts five minutes, the joy of a winning game lingers on.

Reply #269666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can spin it anyway you want Brucey, the fact is that you and Camel are one and the same.

Reply #269669 | Report this post

Herby lover  
Years ago

diana
you seem to be well informed, what did the 36ers pay for the players?
I would love to know

Reply #269670 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

The Breakers sponsor Burger King pulls from a hat before the game a target score and if the Breakers make it everyone gets a Whopper or something. Think the score starts at 90 I think and goes up to 110.

Reply #269674 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

Yeah Diana you seem to have all the answers how about you fill us in on players payments (not that it really should be anyone's business) Scott's contract and SOS.

Reply #269675 | Report this post

yoyo  
Years ago

I have been wondering about the talk of the cheap roster. Ballinger would have cost a bit as would have Gilchrist. Groves may or may not have been cheap depending on what the recruiters thought of him at the time. Burston coming off a championship and could argue best centre in the league at the time of signing as lukee was overseas and anstey would not want to leave the tigers. Only savings would have been the bench where maybe 2 or three players would have been on minimum.
Common knowledge that the Hawks has had the cheapest team in the comp so there is no relationship between success and spending money it seems anyway

Reply #269678 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think the roster was especially cheap, certainly not bottom two or anything.

Reply #269693 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Did Ballinger just get called 'a monkey playing for peanuts'?

Hand me my UFC gloves.

Reply #269709 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I agree with YoYo and Isaac that although didnt spend big didnt have lowest salary either which was a excuse for Scotty to get another year .
Hawks making the Grand Final show you can do it with financial limitations with right coach and sign the right players.
Another reason to avoid getting the Goorg.
Think SOS have done a lot of things right and a supporter focussed to keep on improving.

Reply #269710 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I have been told that they were just under the salary cap, not a cheap team at all.

Reply #269764 | Report this post

Ron T  
Years ago

I think the Sixer's card loaded with $30 is a waste of time, most people would prefer to pay $30 less on their season ticket.

Reply #269778 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:15 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754