Isaac
Years ago

LeBron switching playing number to 6

James filed paperwork to switch from No. 23 to No. 6, the league confirmed Tuesday.
The All-Star said in November that he was thinking of giving up 23 out of respect for his hero Michael Jordan, but at that time he was "50-50," according to the newspaper.

"I've done it," James told The Plain Dealer Monday. "I already sent it in. I'm going to be No. 6."

Six is James' jersey number on the Olympic team, and he wears it every day at practice, but the NBA does not have to grant his request. If James switches teams, he can choose any number he wishes. Permission for a number change is required only if he stays with the Cavaliers.

How many #6s with retired singlets? The #6s in the Hall of Fame are Dr J, Ewing, Gola, Jeannette, Johnston, Russell. While he could obviously change again (and this could just be about simple publicity), could we make guesses at possible destinations based on the number and retired singlets?

Topic #22452 | Report this topic

TC2  
Years ago

Reply #269731 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From the above link:

LeBron's M.J. tribute is all about business

LeBron James isn’t honoring the greatness of No. 23, but manipulating Michael Jordan’s marketing savvy. The changing of his jersey number as a nod to M.J.’s basketball career is a purely fictional cover story. It’s a tribute to Jordan all right, but more like a cynical ode to his business sense. James wants to grow his global brand and push product; flooding the market with a fresh jersey number does the job.

Between now and then, James ought to spare us the fantasy that moving from No. 23 to No. 6 is about anyone or anything else.

All about Michael?

This is all about LeBron.
The full article is worth reading.

Reply #269732 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

The fact that Dr.J and Bill (11 rings) Russell wore #6 means this is a business thing only.

Reply #269734 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Read that it could give an indication he may stay, if he joined another team he does not have to file any paperwork for a number change hence he wants to potentially wear 6 at the Cavs.

Reply #269742 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

If he truly wanted to establish his own number, he'd grab one thats never been used ... he could pick 06, or 56,57,58,59 ... or the ever popular 69. Pretty sure that'd sell more jerseys than 6 !!

Reply #269776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

marketing following kobe aint got nothing to do with jordan

Reply #269787 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

It would be awesome if someone else on the Cavs changed to #23 now.

Reply #269807 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

After reading the article by the ever-negative Adrian Wojnarowski, who cares if Lebron is switching to 6, and who cares who has worn 6 previously.

Perhaps LBJ does want to distance himself from MJ, or it may actually be a sign of respect for MJ. Only LBJ knows, and thats all that matters.

Around the time James started with his bit about retiring Jordan's number, Jordan sat with Pat Riley in Miami for a Cavs-Heat game in November. It didn’t go unnoticed to those sitting around them how often James would peer over, searching for some kind of approval from Jordan. He’d make a play and glance over - and it was probably no accident that Jordan offered little to no response. After all, Jordan was there to promote Dwyane Wade(notes) as an endorser to his line of shoes, so James was treated as afterthought.

Now Wojnarowski is really clutching at straws.

When I was a kid, I wore #44, because at the time Derrick Coleman was an all star, and I liked his game.. But I guess I was disresectful to the logo, Jerry West, because he also wore 44.....

Reply #269831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #269972 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

LeBron is changing his logo also, and apparently might no longer have the swoosh on his shoes anymore... plus his 8th shoe will come in 2 styles!

as for changing his number in respect to MJ and saying no one should wear it, then he's a dick for changing to 6 then when more legends have worn that number!

Reply #270057 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754