Anonymous
Years ago

Summer Grandfinals

Does anyone know the div 1 results?

Topic #22516 | Report this topic

Hear the roar  
Years ago

Southern won the U18 Div 1 boys in overtime.

Reply #270570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea which game you were watching 'hear the roar'....

southern in regulation

Reply #270573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt

Reply #270574 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

...rub them in the dirt...

Reply #270575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt won 16 & 18 girls and 16 boys all as underdogs
once again extra exposure to Melb pressure comes to the fore, why more adelaide sides dont commit to eltham etc amazes me

Reply #270576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt in under 16 boys div 1

Reply #270577 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

16 girls (? looked pretty young to me, but were before the 18's) was a grat game, neck and neck, with the final 5 seconds or so, sturt were up by 3, forestville struggleing to get a clear shot, time running out so a girl puts up a 3, misses, sren goes, but the ref called a foul on sturt!
The forestville girl has 3 free throws, theyre down by 3, end of regulation, last quarter.
SHE HIT ALL THREE TO SEND IT TO OVERTIME!
but sturt got through in overtime.
One of the mavs kids hit a 3/4 court buzzer beater in the 18s guys, huge!

Reply #270579 | Report this post

Mimas 51  
Years ago

Sturt in the U18 girls, U16 girls, U16 Boys, U14 Boys.

Reply #270585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt were not really underdogs in 16 1s. They had 1 loss all season to Forestville in the schools nationals week in December + injuries. Technically underdogs though.

Reply #270600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Sturt's development overcome Norwood's recruitment in U12 Boys??

Reply #270682 | Report this post

Moochie Norris  
Years ago

LOL - no it did not.
The Sturt boys got the jump early, but Norwood slowly reeled it in and won by.......well not sure, but single digits (maybe 5?). Was very close and an excellent game by both teams. Also thought both coaches were excellent with the way they interracted with their young teams.
Boy those Norwood lads can shoot!

Reply #270728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern beat Under 18 SA Country in the boys!!

Reply #270729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mavs u18 girls lost to SA Metro too

Reply #270735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro beat SA country in the U14 boys as well, but only in the last few minutes

Reply #270738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are a funny person #682 - guess people don't like the shoe now being on the other foot!

Reply #270740 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

As expected, Sturt in the boys, Forestville in the girls:

Boys: (D1/D2)
U12 Norwood, Norwood
U14 Sturt, Sturt
U16 Sturt, Sturt
U18 Tigers, Norwood
U20 Sturt, Sturt

Girls (D1/D2)
U12 Eagles, Magic
U14 Eagles, Eagles
U16 Sturt, Eagles
U18 Eagles, Norwood
U21 Norwood, Woodville

Some clubs you expect to be absent, but a few clubs conspicuous by their absence.

Reply #270744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone explain to me whether clubs have a different development approach for girls v boys. The reason I ask Is the success of the Eagles girls but lack of success on the boys side and similar for Sturt except the other way around.

Why is this?

Reply #270750 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good Question Anon,
I don't think any clubs have a different approach per se, but there is a definite difference between which clubs are the power houses

Reply #270754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say Sturt was not successful on the girls side. They actually won 18 1's (not Eagles as in the above post) and lost the grand final in 18 2's, 16 2's, 14 2's and 12 1's. All in all pretty good results, albeit just being Forestville.

Reply #270755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grand final wins Sturt 8, Norwood 5, Forestville 4. That's 17 out of 20, so the powerhouses have cleared away. Also Norwood have joined the big 2 to make it a big 3.

Reply #270756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does that make Sturt twice as good as Forestville?

Reply #270768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Norwood might even close the gap more in winter season given their "development" work in U16 boys since the summer season!

Reply #270777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norwood 16s development or peer pressure ?

Reply #270818 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Ye southern did beat SA country in the 18 boys. They were without 2 starters, had a sick kid and their point guard who had his ribs cracked just after half time and was restricted severley after that. I would take the win whilst you can. In reality you should have won by 20. Sturt would have. But then thats the diff between a really good team and an improving one. Lets see who does what at stae champs and then the classics - although you probably don't know what they are do you ? Enjoy your win as it means nothing to anyone else.

Reply #270819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon - is that the same Sturt that would not have forfeited against the Tigere and would have put some type of team on the court to play them earlier in the season whatever the reason why they were down on players???

Reply #270820 | Report this post

pallas93  
Years ago

Can someone please explain Norwood's "development" work in U16 boys? I assume this is a dig at their recruitment.

As I understand it they have ONE player coming from another club. The kid in question has very good friends at the club and wanted to leave his old club. I guess the same whingers that had a sook about Spehr leaving West to go to Sturt are out in force again.

Reply #270826 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anon 819

"Ye southern did beat SA country in the 18 boys"

So soaked in sarcasm, it was dripping...love it!

Reply #270828 | Report this post

Southern Tigers  
Years ago

Hey anon is that the same Sturt that Southern beat three times in Summer season!

Reply #270829 | Report this post

ybot  
Years ago

I can't wait for state champs to see how Tigers are travelling then.

All this carry-on about a summer GF. Hilarious.

Reply #270837 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

show a bit of humility for once you southern people, ive tried to be nice but bloody hell just cos u guys won something does not make you the best team ever.

Take the win and enjoy it you guys deserve it but i do hope you guys get smashed come state champs becuase you guys have been real arrogant starting with the coaches speech after the game which was a joke.

Reply #270839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pallas, don't you just love coincidences - seems all the friends of Norwood players are very good players. Or is it you don't accept friends who are average.

Norwood - the mates club!!

Oh and pallas - you used the recruitment word not others!

Reply #270845 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Whoa "man of the moment" take a chill pill,

You should know that if there's a showboat, everyone jumps on board for a free ride. The "Onka Honka" is in full steam

With all this carryon over junior games, what will senior games be like?

Reply #270853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be something in the water down Southern way.
The 18 boys grand final win - which was an outstanding game to watch by the way - causing such a woofing-fest here (having said that, the cocky Mavs people in that forfeit thread kinda deserved it). Though now I kinda wish i heard the coaches speech MOTM is talking about too...
The 18 girls spruiking massivley about their MINOR round victory over sturt recently.........then sturt (somehow) winning the GF, and Tigers being noticably absent from grand final procedings.
Wonder if the boys team will find similar karma coming their way come state champs?

Reply #270863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring on state champs, southern will not get close to a full strength mavs team.

Reply #270874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems Mavs have an issue with a lack of depth and numbers - first forfeiting then unable to cover a couple of injuries!!

Reply #270887 | Report this post

pallas  
Years ago

What a ridiculous and ill-informed comment. For starters we are talking about ONE player - yes that's right, just one. Unless you know the kid in question, you might want to refrain from commenting here - because your post has showed you really have no idea about the situation.
Again, I can only assume that you were one of the whingers when Spehr left West last year. He must hav gone to play with his 'mates' as well.

Also, in 18 Boys I understand that Forestville's best player is going to Mavs - another mate's club I suppose??

Reply #270948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pallas - you assume too much!!

One player in THAT grade -SO FAR. How many other players in other grades. I was not just referring to U16's. You need to get out and about to understand what others think about what this is doing to basketball generally in SA.

I guess you can't see the bigger picture and what is best for SA basketball is in the end best for each club and each individual.

But then I have no idea do I??

Reply #270949 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

yeah sorry JT was just grumpy but hopefully southern get whats coming to them. btw yes forestvilles best under 18 player is coming to the mavs team.

Reply #270951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant wait to see state champs

Reply #270952 | Report this post

pallas  
Years ago

So I'm still curious as to what you thought about the Spehr situation, or about the current situation with the Forestville player who has just 'gone' to Mavs.
Or are you just interested in Norwood bashing? Unless you can base your argument on facts, might be best to leave it alone champ. But whatever, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Reply #270954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pallas - champ aahhh a term of endearment. I don't know the facts behind Nathan moving or of the Forestville player moving so as I don't have the facts I can't comment.

But I think it is fair to say that in the past where criticism was levelled at the Sturt's of this world your club appears to be taking that to a whole new level. It is not just U16's but in other grades as well. I suggest you count the number of players from other clubs - to me having more than half a div one team made up of players from other clubs is not in the best interest of basketball in this state.

And I have the facts on many of these!!

Reply #270956 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

ok i gotta have my say in this, because quite frankly its pissing me off now

No i do not play for Eastern, i know players from both eastern and Southern.

Southern, take this win yes, but do not be arrogant about it. When a team along the lines or Sturt, Eastern, Norwood or Forestville get a win, yes they celebrate but they do not try and make things worse.

You deserve to be happy, but rubbing it in someones face is not the way to go, because after all when you look at the fact's it's not that impressive.

Eastern Mavericks had 6 players, one of which had been injured for the past few weeks and had once again re injured himself at country cup just a week early, one other player which got injured half way through the game, this player is still complaining about this injury. They had to play a big guy, who realistically should be in div 2, almost the entire game.

It was a good win, yes. I am not trying to take that away from you, but there is a point where happy turns into stupidity. You need to be graceful in victory just as others team would or should be.

You may not win much at southern, I'm not having a shot against you just if you look back over the years its obvious, but that is no reason to scoop down to the crappy level that you are going to currently.

Realistically, if you were to play a full strength southern team, then the result will not be the same. Yes you are a good team, but you can not win on arrogance.

Stay gracious in victory and teams, clubs and individual players will think better off you and not come out ready to smash you in the future.

You have to be respectful in life, no matter what the situation, you deserved the win, but don't make it worse for yourself.

That's my 2cents.

Reply #270957 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Here here outsider - well said. I am a sturt person and I was amazed at the lack of humility from the southern coach with his speech after the game. Everyone knows that the Mavs are 20 points better than every team and southern where lucky to catch them whilst vulnerable. Top teams do not carry on like southern do. I know the Mavs kids and people said well done to the opposition and took it for what it was. I know their coach was disappointed but also realistic in he went into the game expecting worse than what he got. He loved his players effort in the circumstances.

Reply #270986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I am a sturt person.."
"Everyone knows that the Mavs are 20 points better than every team"

A little bit of pants on fire going on here mavs man....

Reply #270991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats all this about the Sountern Coaches lack of humility.

The Mavs coach was asked to say something and declined.

Not even a well done to the opposing team.

Wheres the lack of humility.

Reply #271022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's summer season. Like the NAB Cup - who cares!!

Reply #271049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EXACTLY!

Reply #271053 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

GO YOU DOGS!!

Reply #271059 | Report this post

SAW  
Years ago

Anon - Centrals are the lions in basketball - in footy they are the dogs!!!!

Reply #271063 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

SAW - READ THE LAST 4 POSTS - YOU OBVIOUSLY DIDNT SEE THE NAB CUP ON THE WEEKEND - FOOTY MY FRIEND WON BY THE DOGGIES

Reply #271066 | Report this post

SAW  
Years ago

and anon you think I didn't know that - was a back handed way of saying who cares about the NAB cup and summer season

Reply #271067 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

anon 991 you obviously are a southern nutter, I'm not a mav at all you twit. Pants on fire ? Na na na na na ...... wat sort of southern cuzin are you. Go to grade 7 did we. Don't lose ya medal cause you may not get another.

Reply #271069 | Report this post

mimas  
Years ago

This thread is hilarious. Anon your post is excellent apart from the bit where you said Mavs are 20 points better than everyone else. I think Sturt and maybe Norwood will be around the mark by state champs. Forestville will drop off without their best player (off to Mavs) and as for Southern - well, time will tell I guess, but I wouldn't put them amongst the top three.

Will Mavs be pooled with Southern at state champs? Can't wait for that one!

Reply #271081 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

SAW - nice try

Reply #271085 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

well said mimas. Im a mavs man but dont think we are 20 points better than sturt, norwood, forestville and southern, i think come state champs sturt will have come along in leaps and bounds as they always do, should be interesting to see though as they are not as strong as in previous years.

Reply #271093 | Report this post

SAW  
Years ago

I guess anon your mind is not sharp enough to pick up witty comments. I guess you are no good at cryptic crosswords either!!!

Reply #271096 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

didnt see any "witty" comments just you trying to save yourself now because you didnt read the posts b4 - give it up!!

Reply #271117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon - you obviously are lying and are NOT from Sturt - as no-one involved there would believe they are 20 points worse than Mavs. Mavs are the team to beat at the moment IMO, but not 20 points better. But hey, keep trying MAVS man...

Reply #271124 | Report this post

SAW  
Years ago

yes Anon - you are sharp. Perhaps you can make yourself known at the next Mensa meeting so I can bathe in your intellectual aura!!!!

Reply #271130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the Southern Tigers suffering with a summer grandfinal hangover?

Reply #276115 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754