Hmmm?
Years ago

St Clair ridiculous venue for ABL

Are they serious- how are they going to promote this game to new fans when you can't actually see the game unless you spend 2 hours standing up! The court announcer cannot be heard at all from the other side of the court (maybe not a bad thing)and the toilets are stuck in some sort of time warp! Not sure of the reasons for not using the atmosphere-less Dome this season, but this stadium just is not suitable for this level of game. Why could the club not have arranged some sort of temporary grandstand? or better still, a proper stadium?
Don't get me wrong- St Clair has some great history and I would not for one minute recommend or condone its demise, but for ABL basketball- no way!

Topic #22567 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do u want to pay for it?? Every thing cost money and there isnt heaps of it around. things take time. Considering we wouldnt be allowed to play at the dome this year, st clair is pretty much the only option for us it feels like more of a home than the dome ever did! There are plans for everything your having a cry about but it will take some time to do. So considering you only have to go there once this season, shut the hell up and deal with it you sook!!!!

Reply #271374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't be allowed to play at the Dome? Since when? I heard it was woodville's decision to leave.

Reply #271376 | Report this post

dione77  
Years ago

Some of what you posted is untrue. Either someone at your club is telling you a whole lot of crap, or you really have no idea what's going on.

Either way, St clair is not even up to Friday night junior games, let alone ABL.

Reply #271382 | Report this post

Back to the 40's  
Years ago

Not only is it a shit hole Woodville are also charging $10 for the privilage to stand up...

Reply #271404 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Does SC need to have an asbestos register?

I played there in the '70s and it seemed old and run down then. The Flinders Park RSL Hall seemed in better condition

Reply #271405 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

so lets slag St Clair whats your name Boti is it ?
st clair kindly accept any donations from you morons to assist in dev - maybe might consider saving a tree too you totally uneducated nit who just stirring the pot
Not prortest to save st Clair we look foerward to seeing you there protesting about lack of facilities i know you just trying to fuel a topic that most educated perople see as along term project - and when things do happen thre be deafenng silence wont ther
not happy avbout slaggers - go find another soft target

Reply #271415 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

went to M/Vale for the second time in 7 weeks.
It is a great improvement and looks fantastic.
Yes, it would be great to update other stadiums, but let's face it, Tigers "wanted" the upgrade, but I believe the council, State gov't and BSA got it happening.
PS- the canteen service was very good (great set up and service), but no noticable drop off since the old lady left (refer previous threads)

from another thread well done tigers so now they are off radar lets look to zero in on remaining stadiums - positive outcome tigers - so lerts get behind upgrades to others by being positive and offering suggestions

Reply #271416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I totally agree that St Claire is a disgraceful venue for aba... and $10 entry - what an absolute joke!! I know I won't be telling my family and friends to bother when we play Woodville there - terrible venue to go with a terrible opponent.

Reply #271446 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

All prices should be the same but if st clair such a pit of a venue # 446 then sure you understand the need to charge a surcharge to assist in promoting it to your standard - so bring more family and friends and rally behind a cause you have identified as so important.
lets me think you from centrals and you have own venue NOT - If not for a school you still be in that hell hole at elizabeth - now theres memories i had forgotten makes marion and hillcrest a palace
lets talk up morphett vale fantastic

Reply #271484 | Report this post

WDBC  
Years ago

Just so people dont get the wrong idea from poster 271446 - Woodville charge $5.00 adult and $3.00 pensioner, students etc. Not $10.00.

Reply #271485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$10 to pay for 2 imports?

No chance the $1000 they make from ABL for the season will help improve St. Clair, which is run by an independant company not Woodville so you're no better off then Central are. Except they have a stadium worth playing in, Woodville certainly do not.

Reply #271486 | Report this post

some people caught out here telling porky lies - thanks wbcd about the admission fee and my mail is woody not paying imports at all - they here of own accord own steam - lets see how st clair comes along after a season or 2 - before shooting off your dumb ass mouth - used to be the dome and pathetic rat jokes - you are only a stirrer and rationale people understand the problems confronting all clubs - except you - or are you seriuosly that out of touch and need medication

Reply #271508 | Report this post

Hmmm?  
Years ago

#374. Sook I may be, but if everyone has the same reaction to your stadium you won't have too much $ coming in through the door- and that isn't good for anyone.
As for the sound problems- surely that could be easily remedied so we could at least hear what was being said- the poor chap on the mike wasted his whole night.

Reply #271512 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I don't know where some of you anonymous people get your info from, but I saw Woodville V F/ville at St. Clair and Paid $5.
On Sat night I went to Hillcrest and saw North V Mavs and paid $6.
Tell me that the facilities at Hillcrest are worth more than at St. Clair!!!!!
Some of you wankers would complain if you won the lottery and got quality sex on the same day.

Reply #271534 | Report this post

pobos21  
Years ago

Fill - yes the facilities at Hillcrest are better than at St Clair. Your Woodville bias is showing.

Reply #271535 | Report this post

st clair facilities as bad as you might think far away better than south or north - consider change room 3 courts parking - bar on court
canteen court surface
can even see ones hand in the darkest spot st clair need bloody floodlights at hillcrest and safety rails to get around the courts and seating well all as bad as each other
south noth woodville unit merge - demand better facilities - the have nots and the haves - surely tigers can have some sense of pride go tigers now best facility in southern adelaide westrn adelaide and eastern only starplex better

Reply #271556 | Report this post

Breeze  
Years ago

Tigers need a grant for air con and the new stands , and then they have a great facility

Reply #271574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#484 - There is no way i'd ask my family and friends along to St Claire, how embarrassing if it was a first-time spectator to an ABA match and they were exposed to that.
At least North have an asset, as do South and good on Centrals for having use of the fantastic facility that they do!!! If you're going to use a stadium that isn't even yours then it might as well be something more than terrible!

Reply #271581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North and South have assets?? Really??

Reply #271584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More than what Woodville clearly have

Reply #271598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of the clubs have assets. No club owns or has any rights to 'their' stadium other than what the manager's let them.

Basketball SA for that matter own no stadiums. They lease venues from private companies or councils.

Woodville don't own St. Clair. South don't own Marion. North don't own Hillcrest.

Reply #271611 | Report this post

Billy the Kid  
Years ago

I dont really care how bad the stadium is, I am just thankful they have a stadium to play in at all.

Not charging admission into ABA? Yeah, that will help progress the reno's, wont it?

Reply #271626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't slow the reno's either as none of the admissions will go to any reno's at St. Clair will it?

Reply #271640 | Report this post

me3  
Years ago

Athol Park was a better place to watch ABA too bad its not around any more

Reply #271650 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Athol Park now thats a blast from past refresh us please why did woodvillwe leave that venue - remembering hitting that bar fun days
why did woodville ever leave another poor decision hey warriors

Reply #271651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville left Athol Park because BASA sold the stadium. Each president said they would be stand behind Woodville in its bid to stay at Athol Park and keep the place for basketball. each president was enticed by Barry Richardson and Ian Thornton to change their minds. New doorway at Marion, cheaper court hire somewhere else. Each president stepped away in their support Woodville did not choose to leave Athol Park they were dragged away kicking and screaming so 651 which bad decision those by the club Presidents who allowed Athol Park to be sold. Who kept supporting BASA sink itself into oblivion with buying premierships and having salary cap issues.

Talk to the facts don't just assume WDBC would give up a venue at Athol Park to be where they are now. They are at St Clair yes it needs major work but it is better than being on the street and if you haven't noticed the DOME is in the hands of administrators and it may or may not be turned into something other than a basketball stadium, just where to you think they should play? Maybe you can help by starting to get behind the Charles Sturt Council and BSA in making renovations to an aging structure or perhaps dig deep and build an entirely new stadium so you can watch in comfort.

Reply #271660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Athol Park had THE BEST donuts!!!!!!

Reply #271767 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Athol park was the best place to watch a good fight back in the old days when Henderson, DeWitt, Rigoni and Madigan played and sometimes there was a basketball game as well.LOL

Reply #271792 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

ahh the days of the mighty warriors - will thse times return - st clair to become the warrior fortress

Reply #271803 | Report this post

Hmmm?  
Years ago

#803- with some temporary seating that could be removed when not required, it could go a long way to becoming a stadium suitable for fortress classification- just a few little changes could make all the difference. The spectators may then dread going there for all the right reasons- thinking they may be beaten, or the Woodville spectators would be loud and intimidating, just like at Marion!

Reply #271809 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

809 thanks a positive post finally some sense - temp. seating hopefully thats on way - you think not too expensive and something that be used by others - goosd investment - any takers to start a Seating Fund ?? $10 with $5 for a seat - get on board
seems others just slagging - reckon st clair not as bad as claims - plenty turn out at xmas cvarnival - has great tradition as bassketball hub -

Reply #271836 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

If it wasent for the forestville tin shed burning down they would probly still be there and if it wasent for the EDU. dept. sturt would not have there home. In the real world we would all love to have a nice new place to call home but we live in Adelaide and its not to be. We just have to put up with whatever BSA and the local councils have to offer. What would be nice is a place with about 14 courts so all age group games could be played in the same place at the same time, but like i said we live in Adelaide and it will never happen.

Reply #271840 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

SS - Foestville didn't burn down, it was demolished. Sturt burnt down.

Reply #271844 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

demolished best thing ever happened forestville have best centrally located stadium in the state thank you very much

Reply #271860 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

MAYBE FOLLOW WHIMORE COURT IDEA WHAT ABOUT JULIUS HODGE COURT SINCE EVERYBODY wants to trash talk st Clair

Reply #271991 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Do they still have roller skating at St Clair??? That is how long since i have been there. lol

Reply #272055 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:54 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754