shano
Years ago

Would Willie Farley be worth a punt?

at the risk of being hounded down, would willie be worth a punt as a cheap import option- he looks as fit as ever and i know he is keen to come back. would give us way more than cortez anyway. would love to see schensch ballinger and johnson work together though i know its a long shot.

Topic #22685 | Report this topic

BMF  
Years ago

How much would he cost tho?

Just coz you see him as a cheap import doesn't mean he see's himself as one..

Reply #273202 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

id do it why not? he has been playing well in argentina over the last few years, we have done worse and he looks good out there not to mention loved. 1 year deal maybe ,

Reply #273203 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Only scary thing with Farley is watching just how many shots he has put up with absolutely no thought at all.
However he would be better than groves!!

Reply #273205 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

Willie is ok with playing for cheap, this is fact! I'd like the idea of farley in the mix at Adelaide. Owneship does need to think about what will put bums on seats. Schenscher only impresses me more and more with every minute he he's I play! Pay the man and lock him up!

Reply #273206 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Luke and Farley need to come to adelaide... don't know why everyone hates on Luke's game, hes a double double machine so get him here, and Farley is still his usual self and brings excitement to the game and will get bums in seats, plus he can still run the floor and score!

Reply #273213 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

i think he would be happy to play cheap given his age-id sign him on a 1 year deal, fact is we were poor from the perimeter last year apart from ng and herbert at times- with willie, herbert, ng and maybe oscar plus balls we would be deadly. add shenscher and another import plus dj and we would have a lethal offensive squad- dont know about d though!
just my 5 cents anyways. cant wait for 10/11 go 6ers.

Reply #273229 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

cant be any worse then the rubbish of the last couple seasons, i would take farleys left testicle over groves

Reply #273236 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

It is fun watching him and seeing him out there brings back the fond memories of his time here.

Reply #273237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be cheap

Reply #273239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's told management he'd come back to Adelaide cheap. Loves it here.

PG: Lisch (or Williams)/Ng (only cuz he's signed already)
SG: Farley/Herbert
SF: Goulding/Hill (only because he'll be signed)
PF: Ballinger/Foreman
C: Schench/Johnson

= Championship

Reply #273253 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Like willie but we can only look at him if he is a good fit for our team. He is not the player to build our team around.

Reply #273255 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

Come on guys...

Farley seriously?

Reply #273263 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

If it was a choice between Willie Farley or Cortez Groves, then Willie would get the nod. Willie would also be good for marketing as an old crowd favourite, but the 36ers need to sign the right imports. I am sure there are a lot of younger and fit players around the world that are more suitable. Early signings seem to indicate a youth policy so that may count someone like Willie out.

Reply #273267 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Thats true but at the same time you need some vets to keep it in check. I can't see it happening. I could see people getting nostalgic falling for the idea and mid year if things are not working out think what were we thinking. A romantic notion that probably is not the right option. Its fun to see him though.

Reply #273269 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

I'm sick of people posting about how old Willie is. He has been very solid both days so far and today played the entire game. He was quicker than most guys out there half his age and defended exceptionally well.As mentioned youth is very important but you need veterans to calm things down when games get tight.Schenscher and Farley will be in sixers uniform next season and along with Ballinger we should have a very strong team to contest for the title.

Reply #273273 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

No doubt Farley would be better than Groves. Could perhaps be an option if our Aussie content is good enough. A full season might take its toll on a guy Farley's age, but I have to admit he has looked after himself. He has been awesome in this tournament and I think played the entire game tonight against pretty talented, athletic opposition.

Anonymous 523, I hate to burst your bubble, because I'd love to see Goulding here, but he is contracted to the Blaze still. Also, in Boti's recent article he says there is almost nil chance of Schensch playing for the Sixers, so thats another spanner in your works.

If we are getting Lisch as rumoured, that would probably nix any chance of Farley being the other import as that would be overkill at SG.

I'm liking the idea of Troy Jackson as an import PG at the moment. If that happens, though, I think we would be better off chasing a gun SF who can shoot, rather than Lisch, because then we would be forced to try and find a gun Aussie SF and there aren't a lot out there we can expect to land.

Reply #273274 | Report this post

Yep!!!!  
Years ago

Farley knew when to settle things down and get the ball to big Luke today. The point guard Jackson was very frustrating to watch as he holds the ball way too long.

Sign Farley as he would be a great option and quicker than any of the other guys in the comp. Still looks fresh and exciting to watch. I hope the SOS read this and look at the public opinion and sign him!!!! c'mon Marty get on board. Farley another quality import with 2 or 3 more quality aussie's is the way to go

Reply #273277 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Makes no difference if SOS read this, they don't pick the team, Marty does.

Reply #273286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think with regard to Marty is that he will have his views on Australian young talent and will be thinking long term rather than instant..

I'm with him, get it right early, train them the way you want them and then go for the long hall...

Reply #273287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, Farley's been keeping the Fleet's opposition in it. He's nothing but a chucker of the highest order now.

Comparing him to Groves is off because that was just poor decision making by SOS. More than half the players in the NBL are better than Cortez.

Do people forget how much Farley hogged it jacking up his bricks in his second stint with the Sixers ('04-'07)? Come on we can do far better than a washed up Farley seeking an NBL lifeline.

Reply #273289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richard Hill picks the team, that's his job. Marty will coach whatever team Hill can get him.

Reply #273290 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anon #289, I agree Farley does tend to chuck up some ill-advised shots but you are way off suggesting he kept the Monarchs in it. Farley was key to that win tonight. He played the entire game, made a lot of big shots, rebounded very well, played D and showed great composure in the last few mins, feeding Luke, making a big three and suckering Hodge and another Monarchs player into shooting fouls when we needed points.

Whether he can do that for an entire NBL season is another question, but I have been pleasantly surprised with his fitness and athleticism in this tournament.

Reply #273292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Farley was 9-23 from the field and 3-10 on 3's in the Fleet's first game against the Rush.

Reply #273293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Troy Jackson...? What is the point of a point guard that doesn't pass the ball? No way.

Reply #273301 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

As one player said "I need to get on court so I can get a contract". Thats why so many overseas players are here, and as others have commented on D League games, everyone is playing for themselves, hence the obvious stats padding by many players.

Reply #273303 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

Loved Wille when he was here, but he's the past, not the future of the Sixers.

Reply #273304 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For his case, Willie is very fit and seemed to have no trouble playing a lot of minutes yesterday. Against him is his lack of conscience in putting up shots!

Reply #273305 | Report this post

Sign farley  
Years ago

Farley would be a great option with the right Aussies and another top level import. He will get the job done. He looks good in a game the team don't even really know eachother and the PG Jackson holds the ball as if it is glued to his hand. They need to glue Jackson to the bench next game. Adelaide get behind Farley and the excitement he brings. I bet more sponsors dollars would come in if he got signed including mine (DH).

Reply #273306 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I disagree with a couple of people's assertions on here that Jackson holds the ball too much. In the first game he was barely seen on offence - he deferred to everyone else. Last night, there was a short stretch late in the game where he chose to attack the basket, but you know what, he was pretty effective doing it. He abused O'Gallagher on one play, scored another nice layup, drew fouls on two plays and got stuffed on another.

As I said in another thread, I'm still not sure about his shooting skills and he is not a flashy passer who is going to rack up a lot of assists, but he has shown that he can take care of the ball and move it to his prime scorers. The thing I keep coming back to is that he is just a bulldog on defence and that is something that the Sixers have not had since Darnell Mee.

Reply #273315 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

At the end of the game we were cheering for farley and he did indicate he was keen as to make a comeback in the NBL. He was very fit and played virtually the entire game last night. you need to remember that if he is picked by marty then marty could work with him like anyone else and push him harder and further than he is at the moment. the coach makes a huge difference especially one as good as marty

Reply #273331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But isn't this comp a bit conducive to the run and gun style approach. Like 20 - 20 cricket. I am not sure that his approach in this style of comp would carry over to "normal" season games.

Reply #273341 | Report this post

Sign farley  
Years ago

Farley shows class compared to most other imports in the comp. Homicide seems to be the other quality import here

Reply #273372 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

They are both on the old side but i wouldnt mind seeing Farley and Bennett Davison as our imports, both would be exciting, put bums on seat and still appear to be able to play at a very high level i reckon both could average around 15-20pts.
Doubt it would happen though, but i would love to see it!
What do people think of Millard from the Monarchs as a potential SG/SF? i thought he looked fairly good.

Reply #273439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Farley in Game 2 vs Monarchs, 8-21 FG, 5-15 3pts.

Reply #273465 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Jonno, did you see Millard after game 1? He hasn't shown he can shoot from long range and has struggled to get to the basket in half-court situations. Has also lost the dribble a few times trying to shake his defender. I don't see him as NBL material.

Reply #273474 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:29 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754